Direct connect and lobby please

Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog is the first new release (not a re-make of a previous games) in years in the critically acclaimed Close Combat series. It details the desperate German counter-attack at Mortain, the last chance of the Wehrmacht to stave off defeat in Normandy. Can you match the tenacity of the American defenders of Hill 314? Or can you succeed where the Panzers failed, driving through to the sea and changing history? Improved 32-bit graphics and the ability to control more squads than ever bring the Close Combat engine to a new level.
Maxkudos

Direct connect and lobby please

Post by Maxkudos »

I really appreciate what you are doing with the lobby system. This has been a great help in allowing me and my friend to connect across different states without me having to disconnect and mess with my router to play the game. However, that said it is a really big disappointment for me and my roommate to not be able to connect and play over our home network. The fact that we have to connect out into the net to be able to play in the same room is very disheartening. Are there any hopes to bringing that back with the lobby? To be able to have both would be very much appreciated.
PipFromSlitherine

RE: Direct connect and lobby please

Post by PipFromSlitherine »

We're not going to be adding direct LAN play back into the mix. With limited resources we need to focus on where work will do the largest amount of good, and the % of players using a LAN is a small % of the MP base.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
rmdesantis

Post by rmdesantis »

That's a pity, Pip. There are a lot of us who really dislike the lobby system and prefer to connect directly (even though we are not in the same location).

Mike
Tejszd

Post by Tejszd »

+1 for direct connection
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

While we're not looking to add a LAN lobby we are looking for a way to allow the lobby to pass connected players off to a direct connection rather than the routing server if they have the right ports open.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
rmdesantis

Post by rmdesantis »

Iain, a question:

There appears to be some subset of users (myself included) who prefer direct connection. I understand that the lobby has the two-fold benefit of removing the barrier some faced of dealing with port forwarding as well as providing a measure of copy protection. For those of us comfortable with port forwarding (many of us are, after all, your loyal customers who have been playing the series for a decade), is there no other way to demonstrate that we are using proper, licensed copies (and thereby dispensing with the lobby entirely)?

Mike
mooxe

Post by mooxe »

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

While we're not looking to add a LAN lobby we are looking for a way to allow the lobby to pass connected players off to a direct connection rather than the routing server if they have the right ports open.

I know that you understand what some of us want in reference to the lobby. Having to connect to the lobby to establish a direct connection is absolutely not what anyone wants or has hinted at saying they want. I am not sure it even makes sense to add a direct connection through the lobby, whats the point?

We don't want to have to use the lobby provided at all to establish a direct connection.

Adding a direct connection through the lobby is wasting the limited resources you have.
Close Combat Series

CCS on Youtube

Join Discord for tech support and online games.
WoT

Post by WoT »

Adding a direct connection through the lobby is wasting the limited resources you have.

+1

the direct connection code is already written and working just enable it!
VonManstein

Post by VonManstein »

Please, add direct connection via IP, out of your lobby, in your next patch
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
kweniston

Post by kweniston »

ORIGINAL: PipFromSlitherine
We're not going to be adding direct LAN play back into the mix. With limited resources we need to focus on where work will do the largest amount of good, and the % of players using a LAN is a small % of the MP base.
Cheers
Pip

I cannot believe it's that hard to implement. It's been in the game since the early 90's, and now it's too difficult/resource-guzzling to put back in? Shocking BS.

It should have been kept in the first place, big mistake. Will not buy till, at least this option is back in.

Edit: may have mixed up LAN with Direct connection here, which is sorely needed.
Edit: Cheers.

Return to “Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog”