AI issue: Finland surrenders in turn 10 (Helsinki taken)

Post bug reports and request support here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

Toidi

AI issue: Finland surrenders in turn 10 (Helsinki taken)

Post by Toidi »

Hi,

playing SU against AI (SU=100%, Axis=125%), I shipped some division to Hanko. The Finns retreated; after a while I started moving around and finally got to Helsinki, defended by a brigade. Next turn AI moved the brigade out of Helsinki, which I took. Resulted in Finland surrender in turn 10. I think that there may be some AI issue there - Finland should defend Helsinki, not move the unit out of it (also, they should contain me in Hanko)

If you need relevant saves, please let me know (which ones and the address) and I will send it to you.

Thanks,
T.
elmo3

RE: AI issue: Finland surrenders in turn 10 (Helsinki taken)

Post by elmo3 »

You can send a save to 2by3@2by3games.com. The Soviet turn right before the Finns vacate Helsinki is the turn we would need so we can end the turn and see the Axis turn as they move out.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
Toidi

Post by Toidi »

Hi,

Thanks for the very quick reply. I have just sent the saves.

Good luck with fixing the issue!

On the other hand, maybe that is good thinking by Finland - they kind of exchange Helsinki for land north of Leningrad ;)

T.
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Actually this was worked on several times, several years ago (could be so long ago it was before Lee was helping us with support). The final conclusion was that it was going to take too much time working on the AI to solve the problem in all cases. The situation was improved, and in most cases Hanko will fall, or enough force is left behind to blunt a drive, but there will be times when the AI simply ignores the situation and a Soviet player can take advantage of the AI. All we can do is suggest that you not take advantage of the AI in cases where it does not take Hanko. Wish I had a better answer for you, but that's the situation.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Toidi

Post by Toidi »

Thanks Joel. That's fair enough.

A simple solution is, when AI is activated, to put a frozen brigade / division in Helsinki (not when played against human player, though if it is frozen for the whole game, it will not change things much). That will not solve whole problem but will help. Going with the idea still further one may consider putting frozen brigades on the two hexes around Hanko (that probably should only be done for the AI; in the case of human player, the frozen brigades might actually harm, as one could not attack with the full strength from both hexes). Frozen brigades around Hanko will generally suffice as SU does not have the ability to attack in '41 and will not harm the AI attack ability on Hanko anyway. The brigades may unfreeze the moment Hanko is taken.

Regards,
T.
latosusi

Post by latosusi »

In my game Germans abandoned Berlin. But that was a earlier version of the game.

Return to “Tech Support”