THE THREAD!!!

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

AW1Steve

RE: THE THREAD!!!

Post by AW1Steve »

Tithe....

With T back , and many of the "regulars" present , it's almost like "old home week" here. [:)]
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

I'm on a 24 month contract. It has disadvantages and advantages. For the money it was the cheapest contract available. In effect I get unlimited calls, texts and data as well as a nice phone. When I got the phone it was around the £350 mark so I can't complain. It also helps to build up a credit score, being in the military here actually causes a negative on that front. Not ideal when you're looking to buy a house in the future.
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: Grollub
You can choose a similar option here as well. I chose not to get this type of contract as in the end, you end up paying ~20% more for the phone as well as being subject to sudden operator price changes.

That makes sense. For those of you that chose this option (amortizing the phone into a two year contract), would the monthly charges be more in line with what I cited for a 'typical' data / phone plan?
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: Dixie

I'm on a 24 month contract. It has disadvantages and advantages. For the money it was the cheapest contract available. In effect I get unlimited calls, texts and data as well as a nice phone. When I got the phone it was around the £350 mark so I can't complain. It also helps to build up a credit score, being in the military here actually causes a negative on that front. Not ideal when you're looking to buy a house in the future.
Makes perfect sense. Does calculation of your credit scores benefit from ownership / useage of credit cards? I'm referring to non-maxed out, regular payments / paid off balances in a timely fashion? Here, available (but unused) revolving lines of credit is a very influential scoring metric for one's credit rating.

Other big factors: regular and timely repayment of installment loans (e.g., car payments, phone contracts, other reasonably big-ticket items); home mortage payment histories; late payments / non-payments; bankruptcy or other similar legal indemnification from debtors; employment history and income. I imagine that some of these are similar abroad, but I don't know for sure.

Getting a credit card, using it judiciously and paying it off regularly is generally pretty good for starters.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

Tithe....

With T back , and many of the "regulars" present , it's almost like "old home week" here. [:)]

I'm sorry Steve, but I'm bound to hit this 'fat pitch' out of the park. Apologies in advance.

Please forgive me for observing that with you around, you put the 'old' in "old home week". [;)]
Grollub

Post by Grollub »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

You can choose a similar option here as well. I chose not to get this type of contract as in the end, you end up paying ~20% more for the phone as well as being subject to sudden operator price changes.

That makes sense. For those of you that chose this option (amortizing the phone into a two year contract), would the monthly charges be more in line with what I cited for a 'typical' data / phone plan?

You're still roughly 15-20% more expensive but otherwise yes.

ETA; ... but we still have no restrictions on tethering [;)]
“Not mastering metaphores is like cooking pasta when the train is delayed"
Grollub

Post by Grollub »

Tithe....

I'm sorry Steve, but I'm bound to hit this 'fat pitch' out of the park. Apologies in advance.

Please forgive me for observing that with you around, you put the 'old' in "old home week". [;)]

Ewww ... that was a low punch. [:'(]
“Not mastering metaphores is like cooking pasta when the train is delayed"
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Makes perfect sense. Does calculation of your credit scores benefit from ownership / useage of credit cards? I'm referring to non-maxed out, regular payments / paid off balances in a timely fashion? Here, available (but unused) revolving lines of credit is a very influential scoring metric for one's credit rating.

Other big factors: regular and timely repayment of installment loans (e.g., car payments, phone contracts, other reasonably big-ticket items); home mortage payment histories; late payments / non-payments; bankruptcy or other similar legal indemnification from debtors; employment history and income. I imagine that some of these are similar abroad, but I don't know for sure.

Getting a credit card, using it judiciously and paying it off regularly is generally pretty good for starters.

That's a big help. Until recently I didn't have a credit card and I've been careful about my finances so I've had no debt against my name. Whilst that's usually good the banks don't fully agree as I've never had to pay anything back either so there's no history of being able to pay them off.

Because of that I picked up a credit card in the summer, it's mainly used for buying gogo juice for the car and paying for hotels when I'm away with the RAF. Everything is then paid off by the end of the month. Moving house frequently is a big minus to your score, which is partly why military personnel can have issues.
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

That's a big help. Until recently I didn't have a credit card and I've been careful about my finances so I've had no debt against my name. Whilst that's usually good the banks don't fully agree as I've never had to pay anything back either so there's no history of being able to pay them off.

Because of that I picked up a credit card in the summer, it's mainly used for buying gogo juice for the car and paying for hotels when I'm away with the RAF. Everything is then paid off by the end of the month. Moving house frequently is a big minus to your score, which is partly why military personnel can have issues.

Here at least, people (myself) that pay off their credit cards in full every month actually have lower credit scores than those that allow some balance to ride on their revolving credit lines and allow interest to accumulate. While these people demonstrate the ability to pay off monthly bills, they're not demonstrating payments against an interest-bearing loan with their revolving credit, I guess.

I've heard some credit counselors advise carrying a small balance for a few months, sucking up the interest payments and not paying off fully until some credit history can be demonstrated.

Another biggy is the ratio between average balance *used* on a CC versus balance available. The lower this ratio the better. I guess this demonstrates that you aren't using all the superfluous credit that you *could* be overusing if you so desired. Some credit advisors recommend increasing available credit maximum on a card to tweak this ratio.

Again, I've got no idea if these same guidelines hold sway across the pond. It would be interesting to hear what rubrics (if any) were different for credit scoring over yonder.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Moving house frequently is a big minus to your score

Even if it's a rental property?
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

It works that way here too. BTW Dixie , you might want to keep a small balance on that card to maximize your credit card value. As my banker uncle used to say "a good credit report means that you are suffiently in debt not to run off, but solvent enough not to be run off". [:D]

On the other hand, over 10 years with the same employer helps. [:)]
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

Tithe....

Ewww ... that was a low punch. [:'(]

Yeah , but within keeping for what I expect from the young punk. [:D] You know...Chickencrap! [:D]
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

Here at least, people (myself) that pay off their credit cards in full every month actually have lower credit scores than those that allow some balance to ride on their revolving credit lines and allow interest to accumulate. While these people demonstrate the ability to pay off monthly bills, they're not demonstrating payments against an interest-bearing loan with their revolving credit, I guess.

I've heard some credit counselors advise carrying a small balance for a few months, sucking up the interest payments and not paying off fully until some credit history can be demonstrated.

Another biggy is the ratio between average balance *used* on a CC versus balance available. The lower this ratio the better. I guess this demonstrates that you aren't using all the superfluous credit that you *could* be overusing if you so desired. Some credit advisors recommend increasing available credit maximum on a card to tweak this ratio.

Again, I've got no idea if these same guidelines hold sway across the pond. It would be interesting to hear what rubrics (if any) were different for credit scoring over yonder.

Sorry , I didn't read back far enough to see this before I commented.[:o] +1 with this.[&o]
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

It's not a rental per se. In effect the MoD (or the clowns who they have contracted to run the housing) are our landlord. So the money for rent gets taken out of my pay at source by my employers who are also the landlord. Even though we're in a civvie owned place atm, the MoD are still paying the rental to the actual landlord and then I pay my share of the rent to the MoD.
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

It's not a rental per se. In effect the MoD (or the clowns who they have contracted to run the housing) are our landlord. So the money for rent gets taken out of my pay at source by my employers who are also the landlord. Even though we're in a civvie owned place atm, the MoD are still paying the rental to the actual landlord and then I pay my share of the rent to the MoD.
Is this appreciably discounted versus what would be available on the (fully) public market?
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Is this appreciably discounted versus what would be available on the (fully) public market?

It depends, but generally yes. For the Scottish bases the prices are probably very similar. But as yu get further down south the MoD charges stay the same whilst the public costs rocket ever skywards.
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
Onime No Kyo

Post by Onime No Kyo »

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,
ORIGINAL: Terminus

Yep. T was missed, because we didn't have a grumpy Dane to prod[:'(] We did try using Leo but it just wasn't the same.

For rather obvious reasons, one would suspect.

Because I am not bold... [:'(][8D]

Leo "Apollo11"

Or italicized....
"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Haven't heard from Des today, after I sent him the 001 combat replay from our first turn. Hope he doesn't take it too hard...

Cheer up, old bean-you should to break even by 1946. Ish.

Attachments
Cryingemu.jpg
Cryingemu.jpg (9.39 KiB) Viewed 56 times
thegreatwent

Post by thegreatwent »

Greetings and drive by Tithe. [&o]

DivePac88

Post by DivePac88 »

Haven't heard from Des today, after I sent him the 001 combat replay from our first turn. Hope he doesn't take it too hard...

Cheer up, old bean-you should to break even by 1946. Ish.

No I actually slept in for once, was up all night reviewing CB's first turn, interesting as he has gone for the KB/Manila opening. So he's sunk just about everything at Manila, but my BB force is still intact, he might regret that.

Plus I've been working on an Art project which I'll show next. [;)]

When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way

Return to “The War Room”