Your opinion ?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

IvanGrozni

Your opinion ?

Post by IvanGrozni »

Hello.

I am new member, but a long time wargamer.
I like to play EU1,2,3, HOI1,2, Civ3,4, Peoples Tactics, Pg2, tripleA...

Also, last few months I played TOAW3 and GG WAW.
I played these games at a friend.

Now, since there is this action and the prices have fallen - I decided to buy a game.
So I have some questions.

Is this digital download the same as with steam ?
Will I be able to download the game as much times as I like ?

Will I get my own a serial, so that even if I can't download the game directly from your site - I can use my serial on any copy I could find.

And finally and most importantly - what to buy ?
My budget is 26€.

I am in a big, big dilema between TOAW III and GG A World Divided.
I am slightly more strategic oriented, but I think that TOAW3 has a much larger base of players and there are a lot (really - a lot) of scenarios for the game.

I think TOAW3 is much more time resistant and has a long vitality factor.

I intend to play the game mostly with people via PBEM and reckon that TOAW has a large base of players.
What about the new graphics - is that really a big problem ? Will they return the old one ?

I think Commander great war, europe at war, strategic war in europe are also nice games - but I think they all have much smaller durability potential and base of players.

And GG WITE and GG War between the states seem like excellent games - but they don't pass the budget limit.

Hope I'm not bothering you, I would just like some opinions.
Max 86

RE: Your opinion ?

Post by Max 86 »

You will get your own serial number and an executable install file for the game. There is no DRM so you can install on any PC that you get in the future as long as you have a serial #. Also, from personal experience, Matrix has provided me with another download file when I had lost mine and they are easy to work with. So, I recommend that you record your sales order #, game serial # somewhere safe, usually I just keep the email with that info. Also, I save my download files on my PC and a USB drive for backup.
No problem Chief!
wodin

Post by wodin »

Out of the two...TOAW3 esp if you want re playability and a steady community to play against.
redcoat

Post by redcoat »

Yup. TOAW 3 has lots of scenarios and a large base of players.
“‘Who controls the past,’ ran the Party slogan, ‘controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.’”

George Orwell, 1984
IvanGrozni

Post by IvanGrozni »

Thanks for your help.

I think it will be TOAW3 then.
What are some good and time tested scenarios for PBEM ?
redcoat

Post by redcoat »

I hope you enjoy it. I certainly do. Unfortunately I haven't played TOAW by e-mail and so I can't really recommend any particular scenarios for PBEM. If nobody else can recommend any here you could try asking in the TOAW forums. Link.
“‘Who controls the past,’ ran the Party slogan, ‘controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.’”

George Orwell, 1984
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: Ivan Grozny

Hello.

Hello, Ivan.

You didn't list it in your original options, but I'd like to propose that you look at War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition. It's a HUGE game, lots of PBEM players and a forum community that is still vibrant after many years (look at post counts) compared to ALL other Matrix forums.

It's more than your 26E budget, but I'd urge you to look into this further. You won't regret it.
Lützow

Post by Lützow »

Try FitE. [:D]
parusski

Post by parusski »

ORIGINAL: Lützow

Try FitE. [:D]

That would be a violation of international laws against cruel punishment.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
IvanGrozni

Post by IvanGrozni »

Ilea iacta est - the game has been bought.

Now I'm trying to figure out weather to play with the 3.2.29.37 version which I got or with the latest update (I tryed - but returned to the ''normal'' version).

About WITP - way too complex and too much micro for me. I tried it a few times but didn't like it.
I think that the game itself is excellent, however it is simply not for me.

About FITE - too much micro and too slow.
parusski

Post by parusski »

ORIGINAL: Ivan Grozny

Ilea iacta est - the game has been bought.

Now I'm trying to figure out weather to play with the 3.2.29.37 version which I got or with the latest update (I tryed - but returned to the ''normal'' version).

About WITP - way too complex and too much micro for me. I tried it a few times but didn't like it.
I think that the game itself is excellent, however it is simply not for me.

About FITE - too much micro and too slow.

Good choice.

I own FiTE and played it for a long time. Good game, but it is MICRO-management in the extreme. I mean, people on the FiTE forum get upset when they can't specify if trenching tools are made in a particular city.[;)]
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
heyhellowhatsnew

Post by heyhellowhatsnew »

What is FiTE?
OldBlackNerd.com Grognard Gaming, Gaming videos and Current Events
parusski

Post by parusski »

ORIGINAL: heyhellowhatsnew

What is FiTE?

MMM, my sarcasm radar is not working today. But, in case you don't know, it is Gary Grigsby's Fire in the East.
heyhellowhatsnew

No i'm not being sarcastic I really didn't know ._. why is it called Fire in the East? I thought it was War in the East?

I'm a complete newbie remember? :(
Lützow

Post by Lützow »

Just another name. For the Fire in the East scenario in TOAW both sides have to control more than 2k counters.
parusski

Post by parusski »

No i'm not being sarcastic I really didn't know ._. why is it called Fire in the East? I thought it was War in the East?

I'm a complete newbie remember? :(

MY SARCASM fails. It is WitE. It's just that, well, some folks(no sweeping generalizations), see fire over many aspects of the games so...nevermind. I failed.[:D]
heyhellowhatsnew

Oh okay. I'm sorry! I am just new at this hehe :D no harm done!
parusski

Post by parusski »

Oh okay. I'm sorry! I am just new at this hehe :D no harm done!

Well, it's good that you apologized. Since the great Steiner does no wrong![:-]
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Yes, we keep hearing about this "Great" Steiner, but we've only met you. When do we get to meet the truly Great one?
parusski

Post by parusski »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Yes, we keep hearing about this "Great" Steiner, but we've only met you. When do we get to meet the truly Great one?

Ha ha. Being around here for nearly 13 years is not long enough??

Return to “General Discussion”