THE THREAD!!!

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Dixie

RE: THE THREAD!!!

Post by Dixie »

It sounds steep to me! I'm paying £30 a month for unlimited data, 5000 text messages, 5000 minutes to the same network I'm on and 2000 minutes to any other network or land line.

About $48 or thereabouts.
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Hey kids,

It'd be rude of me to sign on to the forum without checking in on THE THREAD!!!. I won't be posting much, due to other commitments, but here I am.
I am glad to see you posting. [:)] You have been missed.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Yep. T was missed, because we didn't have a grumpy Dane to prod[:'(] We did try using Leo but it just wasn't the same.
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
DivePac88

Post by DivePac88 »

We have high-speed broadband/mobile data/texting with two smart-type cellphones (rent to own), and 40GB data limit. Plus a landline with a free calling package, and all this for $104.98NZL/month.

Try using-up 40KB of data in a month, even with movies on demand we haven't done it yet.
When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way
Grollub

Post by Grollub »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

There are a number of national purveyors of phone contracts here too. Available plans run from the pay-as-you-go or prepaid plans all the way up to unlimited 'family' plans. Prices vary accordingly. I'd say that $75-$100 / month will get you an 'all you can eat' buffet in terms of data / tethering / texting, etc. etc. That would equal about 60-75 euros equivalent. Sound about right?

The 'ceiling' on most data plans is between 2-4GB / month. Plenty for most moderate use, but tethering, playing lots of 4G movies / video and the like will eat that pretty quickly. You can always upgrade from the baseline (for a modest fee, of course).

[X(] That's really expensive! I have unlimited data traffic attached to my normal mobile account. Sum of everything together lands somewhere in the vicinity of $35-40 ...
“Not mastering metaphores is like cooking pasta when the train is delayed"
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Grollub

There are a number of national purveyors of phone contracts here too. Available plans run from the pay-as-you-go or prepaid plans all the way up to unlimited 'family' plans. Prices vary accordingly. I'd say that $75-$100 / month will get you an 'all you can eat' buffet in terms of data / tethering / texting, etc. etc. That would equal about 60-75 euros equivalent. Sound about right?

The 'ceiling' on most data plans is between 2-4GB / month. Plenty for most moderate use, but tethering, playing lots of 4G movies / video and the like will eat that pretty quickly. You can always upgrade from the baseline (for a modest fee, of course).

[X(] That's really expensive! I have unlimited data traffic attached to my normal mobile account. Sum of everything together lands somewhere in the vicinity of $35-40 ...
An notice the 'ceiling' he mentioned on the 'unlimited' data!!!
Grollub

Post by Grollub »

I did. That should've warranted another [X(]

Hence; [X(]
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

You and Dixie are citing much cheaper rates. Does this take into account the amortization of your phone over a two year commitment?
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,

God morning!

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

ORIGINAL: Dixie

Yep. T was missed, because we didn't have a grumpy Dane to prod[:'(] We did try using Leo but it just wasn't the same.

For rather obvious reasons, one would suspect.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,

ORIGINAL: Dixie

For rather obvious reasons, one would suspect.

Because I am not bold... [:'(][8D]

Leo "Apollo11"

Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Nor are you bald.
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,

And welcome back Kristian!

BTW, what games / simulations / strategies you play at the moment?

Also was there any luck with job hunting in the meanwhile (we all kept our collective fingers crossed)?

Leo "Apollo11"

Terminus

Post by Terminus »

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,

And welcome back Kristian!

BTW, what games / simulations / strategies you play at the moment?

Also was there any luck with job hunting in the meanwhile (we all kept our collective fingers crossed)?

Leo "Apollo11"

I'm playing a bit of Modern Warfare 2 multiplayer with a couple of close friends, some XCOM, a bit of my AE AI game and some Plague Inc and Spelltower on my iPhone. Not so much energy for gaming at the moment.

As for jobs, I'm currently in a short-term contract office job at a debt collection company.

Also, I'm back for reasons I'm not allowed to talk about. Just putting that out there...[:'(]
Grollub

Post by Grollub »

Afternoon tithe.
Grollub

Post by Grollub »

You and Dixie are citing much cheaper rates. Does this take into account the amortization of your phone over a two year commitment?

I've bought my last two phones for the full price. No operator commitment.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Most people here get their cell phones included in the price of their monthly contract and sign two year contracts, thus amortizing the payments into the contract. So, someone with a typical Verizon contract may pay only $99 for an iPhone5, well below the retail rate 'off the shelf' of $700-ish. Of course you pay for it in the long run too.

This probably constitutes 40-50% of the monthly cell phone cost-the amortization of the phone itself. This also encourages buying a new handset every two years.
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

Also, I'm back for reasons I'm not allowed to talk about. Just putting that out there...[:'(]

Hmmmmmm..... this sounds like it has lots of potential. [8D]
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

Good Friday morning - Tithe. [&o][&o][&o]
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
Grollub

Post by Grollub »

Most people here get their cell phones included in the price of their monthly contract and sign two year contracts, thus amortizing the payments into the contract. So, someone with a typical Verizon contract may pay only $99 for an iPhone5, well below the retail rate 'off the shelf' of $700-ish. Of course you pay for it in the long run too.

This probably constitutes 40-50% of the monthly cell phone cost-the amortization of the phone itself. This also encourages buying a new handset every two years.

You can choose a similar option here as well. I chose not to get this type of contract as in the end, you end up paying ~20% more for the phone as well as being subject to sudden operator price changes.

Return to “The War Room”