Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: December 22, 2012

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Martian

RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: December 22, 2012

Post by Martian »

to Shuttle Door Gunner

I can see it's your first message on the forum - Thank you! Appreciated very much. )))
Martian

Post by Martian »

To Baleur and Nadia911

I really don't like conflict situations, but everybody should be responsible for what they say.
So I still think that my tough words were just and adequate response to your public insultation in my address.

But also I agree with Erik that this forum community won't benefit from this conflict so for the sake of everybody I offer you to solve this issue and make a peace. My only condition is that you publicly apologize for insulting me and I will do the same in return. After that we can safely pass this issue behind and never return to it again.
Data

Post by Data »

My friends, I don't have an artist eye but a lot of modders here whom I came to respect have it and considered this worthy of their appreciation and that's good enough for me.
That and the fact that it's a good ideea to presume someone inocent until proven otherwise....casting a shadow of a doubt on an inocent is far worse then letting a guilty one go free imho.

So I will also thank you for your work, Martian, and appreciate the solution you've found for this; losing either you or Baleur would be bad for all of us.

And a prolific new year for all you creative types around here [:)]
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
Haree78

Post by Haree78 »

@Martian I believe Eric would have been talking about you calling people mentally disabled or a very fat troll which I believe go quite a bit further than troll or stupid.
Just because you feel attacked the most likely situation is these people have made a mistake. I agree with Data that accusing the innocent is far worst than letting the guilty go but at the same time people make mistakes. Taking things to the level of accusing people of being mentally disabled or a very fat troll for what could have been a simple mistake is a very knee jerk reaction.

I really appreciate your work here and totally understand you were 'attacked' first but let's keep everything civil and let those who lie or act like fools do the work of making themselves look like fools, we don't need to try in that department ;)
Martian

Post by Martian »

To Haree78

Thank you, Haree. Generally I agree with your words, and I shouldn't have "knee jerk" reacted.

But there is one thing I see different from you. You think that calling someone a mentally disabled person or very fat troll is more serious thing that accusing in stealing. I think very opposite. Actually, I doubted Nadia911 (Ernesto Denewitz) was unable to see the difference between mods. His categorical statement without any proofs, looked to me very much like a trolling. That's why I wrote:

"If you really don't see difference between his mod and mine then I guess you are either blind or mentally disabled person. Or most probably a very fat troll."

Here I didn't state that he actually IS a "mentally disabled person" or "blind", I just guessed it if only he "really doesn't see difference", which I honestly doubt he didn't. My second guess, "very fat troll" has nothing to do with his appearance. It's just a famous internet term meaning "incompetent provoker".

P.S. Both "mentally disabled" and "blind" are human diseases which evoke only compassion from others. "Very fat troll" doesn't evoke any compassion, but still it's not a crime. But "stealing" is a crime. Thief is a shame for all his family and friends. No one want to have anything in common with thiefs. I hope my point is clear.
Martian

Post by Martian »

to Data

Thank you Data,
I hope my efforts won't be in vain and they will respond to my invitation...

Haree78

Post by Haree78 »

Regardless of the level of insult you believe you levelled at them do you not see how these people might have just made a mistake as by looking at the pictures in the threads they look the same just recoloured? If you can observe the easy mistake to make then you should see that reacting by insults isn't the right course of action. If someone sees me walking out of a shop with an item under my coat and calls me a thief, I don't throw names at them I show them my receipt and tell them they made a mistake. Then I expect an apology.

Someone who throws insults at the first sign of a disagreement doesn't end up looking like someone on the moral high ground, and in the case of the first accusation you were in that position.
Martian

Post by Martian »

There is a big difference between someone personally calls you to figure out if you stole something and public statement (yes, internet is quite globally public place) that you had stolen something from him. If Baleur first wrote me a personal message about his concerns, I can assure your nothing of this would happen.
Martian

Post by Martian »

And Haree, please don't call insults in stealing a mere "disagreement". I would never throw any insults if I am just disagree with someone.
Tyrador

Post by Tyrador »

Can you stop attacking the Martian? It seems like Baleur have already suffered a heart attack from those endless childish discussions of who insulted who. Don't make an elephant out of a fly, this is not a kindergarten of 'm*nta**y *ll ch*ld*en' who cannot bear the burden of being insulted. [:D][:D]

BTW Martian was exercising his right Freedom of Speech = Freedom to Insult, to Criticize, and to Apologize.[:-]
Martian

Post by Martian »

to Tyrador

Thank you very much for your common sense but also for your great sense of humor! It's impossible to stay serious after reading your comment.[:D]

P.S. Be careful although with expression "mentally ill children", it's quite close to the one I've used... [;)]
Tyrador

Post by Tyrador »

ORIGINAL: Martian

to Tyrador

Thank you very much for your common sense but also for your great sense of humor! It's impossible to stay serious after reading your comment.[:D]

P.S. Be careful although with expression "mentally ill children", it's quite close to the one I've used... [;)]

Ahh yeah, in Uk we already have Section 5 of the Public Order Act. So called, right to be not insulted or something of that sort...I would be persecuted, charged and imprisoned by now, if it went public[:D]
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

Very glad to see that we are again back on a path to everyone getting along! [:)]

Keep up the good work Martian! [&o]

Now, that I've gotten that off my chest, back to testing and playing Distant Worlds! [:)]
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
Haree78

Post by Haree78 »

ORIGINAL: Tyrador

Can you stop attacking the Martian? It seems like Baleur have already suffered a heart attack from those endless childish discussions of who insulted who. Don't make an elephant out of a fly, this is not a kindergarten of 'm*nta**y *ll ch*ld*en' who cannot bear the burden of being insulted. [:D][:D]

BTW Martian was exercising his right Freedom of Speech = Freedom to Insult, to Criticize, and to Apologize.[:-]

I'm not attacking anyone, I'm trying to show why Erik made the message he did. Ignore the moderators of a board at your peril ;)
Tyrador

Post by Tyrador »

ORIGINAL: Haree78

ORIGINAL: Tyrador

I'm not attacking anyone, I'm trying to show why Erik made the message he did. Ignore the moderators of a board at your peril ;)

Perhaps Martian is developed enough to use his language and sociological skills to analyse what did Erik said[:D]
Data

Post by Data »

LOL...I hope we don't start a new one but this was funny as hell [:)]
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
nadia911

Post by nadia911 »

Martian: I never called him a thief, just questioned his "inspiration" for the extreme resemblance to baleur's mod (and I have not been the only one who noticed), if you have not inspired Baleu's mod simply been a coincidence, my apologies by the error.

Anyway you disrespected me repeatedly, instead of having tried to explain the case.
I'm surprised that the moderators tolerate this sort of things...

That's all, good luck with your mod and continue with your great inspiration.
Tyrador

Post by Tyrador »

ORIGINAL: nadia911

Martian: I never called him a thief, just questioned his "inspiration" for the extreme resemblance to baleur's mod (and I have not been the only one who noticed), if you have not inspired Baleu's mod simply been a coincidence, my apologies by the error.

Anyway you disrespected me repeatedly, instead of having tried to explain the case.

Note: Right of Freedom of Speech = Freedom to Insult, to Criticize, and to Apologize.
Martian

Post by Martian »

to Nadia911

Nadia911, your apologies are accepted. My apologies to you in return.

I understand that we all make mistakes. But different mistakes have different consequences. A kid who mistook his left and right shoes is cute and funny, but a judge making wrong decision at a trial is not.

Of course, we are not at trial and you are not a judge. Nevertheless, with amazing carelessness you allowed yourself to make categorical public judgement on person you don't even know and whose reputation you were so easily ready to damage.

Really, look at your message again:

"All images of the planets are exactly the same as the Baleur mod with a slight variation of color ...

How did you come to such conclusion? Did you actually try both Baleur's mod and mine?
Or did you just compared his preview and mine?

OK, if so let's compare preview:

Do you really think that "All images of the planets exactly the same", "with a slight variation of color..." ?
As far as I can see the only thing inspired from Baleur's mod is round shape of planets...

But maybe you were not talking about atmospheric effects but planet's surface ONLY? And you meant similar patterns like this?:

Then but how about my very big first post where you actually could find my mod preview? After you could so easily find similarities between Baleur's mod and mine I can't believe you couldn't see similarities on this and 6 others huge planet previews:

This preview clearly shows original Distant Worlds planets and my moded version. I guess then, Elliot also had stolen planets images from Baleur...
Forgive me Nadia, please, but of course after such things I started to doubt either your sincerity either your mental health. (Another, very unlikely, option was that you were just a 3 years old kid).

Before, I already clearly said that I didn't use Baleur's mod at all. Not as reference, nor as inspiration. I even didn't know about it unless he himself mentioned.
So when you quoted me:

"I used real space photos and some great sci-fi art for inspiration"

and added:

"and Baleur's mod... "

you really just strengthened my doubts. I took it as you were claiming that I said a lie. You even used this mark [:-]. (If I understand correctly this sign means "Shame on you" or something like that).
I was amazed: Do you know me well? Were you near my computer when I was making this mod? Then, how can you so easily make statements which publicly humiliate another person? Do you usually approach someone on the street and do the same?

Yes, the internet gives us some anonymity in communication but it doesn't mean we should have no responsibility for how we treat others online. If you see my posts on this forum you can notice that with friendly people I am always friendly and respectful. But I am not a diplomat or pacifist. If I receive a disrespectful attitude or snooty calumnies I respond accordingly. Same way as I do in real life.

Forgive me this platitude but I believe that "civil community", which Erik has mentioned, is not about being formally polite, but being genuinely respectful to each other. I am sorry for treating you like a "very fat troll", but you treated me like liar or thief first.

Well, I don't want to start again, but I can say exactly the same about you and Baleur.
Generally, before judging someone it is your responsibility to figure out the case by yourself, instead of blaming him for not explaining you why you shouldn't have accused him, don't you think?

Thank you! I am very glad that we can communicate now as "civilized" people and I wish you all the best too.
I hope Baleur also will find enough courage and respond to my offer.
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

But also I agree with Erik that this forum community won't benefit from this conflict so for the sake of everybody I offer you to solve this issue and make a peace. My only condition is that you publicly apologize for insulting me and I will do the same in return. After that we can safely pass this issue behind and never return to it again.

to Nadia911

Nadia911, your apologies are accepted. My apologies to you in return.

So after stating that once the apologies have been passed the matter would be closed did you really need to drag it all up again? Can we not put consider this as over now? I really like the DW forums and this issue has really dragged on, so please consider it over as I doubt very much that you will hear from Baleu as all the external links to his work have gone, hope im wrong but looks like he has packed up and shipped out. So have an apology from me as well if it helps you to feel better and move on.

Darkspire

Return to “Design and Modding”