Production

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Crackaces

RE: Production

Post by Crackaces »

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy

Considering the fact that we're exchanging ideas about this possible changement, i'd modestly suggest to keep in consideration that the present code is being working well and it seems to me that nobody mentioned in these months any balance problem with it.
I'd also offer another thought: many many ongoing games (both pbem and AI games) seems to have recently adopted the map with stacking limits (not only many mods, among them DBB, RA etc, but also stock games adopting the stacking limits map). Well, with stacking limits sieges of major bases or cities are already a challenge for the attacker. Even if out of supplies, the base may be able to hold for a looong time cause the attacker would never be able to get a numerical advantage. With stacking limits the present code works perfectly imho, cause it gives the chance to the attacker to actually be able to conquer a major city.
If the LI would keep on producing supplies i see many problems arising in a stacking limits map.

Manila is a good example. Singapore too obviously. But also in China... i don't see any possible chance to conquer Chungking, for example, if the LI would keep on producing supplies....
And if it's true that resources production would stop anyway, it's also true that very often the bases with LI have huge stockpiles of resources...

just my 0.000002 cents

I would agree that the current paradigm prevents a Fortress Palenbang and producing supples under seige from refineries .. and the cities/bases you mention brings about a more serious seige situation.

My current opponent noted the behavior when the Allies occupied Hong Kong and then again when I occupied Shanghai ... needless to say the loss of HI once I occupied these cities/bases was quite alaming. Now the kicker .. occupy a IJ held production center with something that can keep a toe hold but not enough to take the base. One has accompished the mission so to speak of depriving the IJ of the production center with the minimal force. Which in the game can be pretty minimal due to the defense bonus in an urban center.

Of course one solution for LI enabled in an occupied hex is a strat bomb LI. as a part of the seige. Something the IJ are very reluntant to do in the early war while it makes no difference to the Allies.

But .. I might suggest a focus on gameplay as Greyjoy is proposing than some false belief this game is a similation .. otherwise I would propose we will ruin the game with our suggestions ..
"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Alfred

ORIGINAL: michaelm

I am thinking of making the code reflect the manual and logic (and what players have generally thought to be the case).
HI and MP are global pools so I think having an enemy unit in the hex should stop them producing.
For LI and Refinery however, they are locally produced and stored at the base (and would be 'in the base') and could be generated with enemy presence in the hex.

It would not be a 'cheat', as damage to LI and REF devices would make it harder to produce supply/fuel.
I would like to add this change for the next weekend beta.

Any comments??

---
In original WITP, HI produced fuel and supply regardless of enemy units in hex.

That would be an acceptable outcome.

I however approach it from a slightly different direction; more a "pure" economic rather than the current game design perspective. As such my personal preferred position is slightly different.

The game calls everything "industry". Using economic terminology we would distinguish between "primary industry" and "secondary industry". There is absolutely no "tertiary industry" facilities in the game, unless one were to view naval/aviation/support squads as falling within that category in abstract terms but as they are not treated as "industry" within the game, we can dismiss them as representing tertiary industry facilities.

Falling within "Primary Industry" are:
  • resource centres
  • oil centres
  • manpower centres

They provide raw materials from the land.

Falling within "Secondary Industry" are:
  • Refineries
  • Light Industry
  • Heavy Industry
  • all the various production facilities which produce elaborately transformed products ie vehicles, aircraft, ships, armaments

Secondary industry uses the output from primary industry as its feedstock.

Therefore, if it were up to me and without proper consideration for the actual game code impact, I would stop primary industry production (ie oil, resources, manpower) when an enemy LCU is present in the same hex, but allow secondary industry (ie supply/fuel/elaborately transformed products) to continue production provided the facility continues to have access to its feedstock, either from local stockpiles or from importation.

But as I said, michaelm's approach is quite valid too. Whichever is the easiest to implement and most consistent with the overall game design philosophy is the one which should be preferred.

Alfred

Hitchhiking on Alfred's excellent analysis, I would come at this from a slightly diffeent perspective, but arrive at about the same place.

Rather than pure economics, consider history and geography. Many cities in WWII continued industrial production until quite late in a siege and while under sustained air attack. While mines (resources) and petroleum (oil) are generally in the countryside and accessable to enemy troops (and should be shut down on occupation, as per the manual) all industry is generally in the urban core. This includes, in this era, both HI-type and LI-type industry. The reasons are economic: access to labor and tansport hubs. A steel mill making heavy castings was in the same general industrial zone as a factory making ammunition, in both Japanese and Allied cities. Again, generally speaking; there are exceptions. While it is commonly said that Japanese LI-type production was on a cottage industry model, even in residential areas, this is only true at the margins. Mass produciton of packaged food, clothing, medical supplies, and ammunition were mass production activities conducted in factories, not living rooms. While it is true that much civilian-focused production was in small batch shops, war production was largely, but not exclusively, done in factories found in the same zones as heavy primary industry like steel and rubber. For that reason I believe a siege should leave both HI and LI in production so long as stockpiles of inputs are also present in the base.

However, like Alfred, I would also stand with the idea that the code rules. If a change would significantly increase the chance of bugs, I would leave things alone, or do a minimum as Michael suggests.

To Greyjoy's point about stacking limits, and to the general idea that this is a MAJOR change, I agree with both. Stacking limit games would be affected, although the points about strat bombing are relevant too. But as a policy patches have always focused on stock games and not on mods. Trying to make one EXE file work with all mods equally well is a fool's errand. It may be that such an EXE change would require the mod to be adjusted, but that seems to me the direction from which to to approach.

Finally, everyone should recognize that this change back is a big deal for both sides. Yes, it affects the Allies early at places like Singers and Palembang. But to the Allies HI production is an afterthought. The supplies generated in HI centers are important early, but in 1943 and later the Allies are awash in CONUS supply. In China LI is always relevant to the Allies, but the game can be won without China. But for Japan HI is lifesblood. And from mid-game on the Allies have so many LCUs it's not hard to park a small stack on top of many core HI-producing cities, using the urban or light-urban terrain bonus to hang on and deny the Japanese economy its "food." For that main reason I would go with the idea of having HI and LI continue to operate in an enemy-occupied hex, but only from stored raw materials. With stockpiling those can be planned for ahead and a prudent Japanese economy manager will see Allied sieges and prepare for them on the Asian landmass. If HI can be strangled without actually taking Japanese cities many Allied players will focus on that and the game changes in a very major way.

If the re-code choice comes down to a binary choice between leaving things as they are or activating LI but stopping HI on occupation I would vote to leave things as they are. But my preference would be to leave LI AND HI AND Refineries AND Manpower AND Shipyards operating, while stopping resources and oil production until the hex is clear of enemy troops.
The Moose
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

The change was made to the code but I can't find anything in the release notes or comments to say why this was changed. It could have been made to make the industry production code consistent - I just can't recall.

For scenario balance, there was no restriction on HI, LI, Refinery or Manpower production until patch 5 or 6. So if anything, I would expect that the current code would have more unbalancing effect than going back to what was properly used to set up the stock scenarios originally.

I wonder if this was done in the era when the strong debates about refineries throwing off supplies (Fortress Palembang era) were underway?

Regardless, it appears from comments here, in other threads, and in my PMs that many/most players did not realize this change had been made and thus had not changed their gameplay style to leverage it. Now that the cat is out of the bag I can see Allied players significantly changing their land war habits to strangle the Home Island industries which need HI, but do so from afar by camping on HI producers like Saigon.
The Moose
1EyedJacks

Post by 1EyedJacks »

I am thinking of making the code reflect the manual and logic (and what players have generally thought to be the case).
HI and MP are global pools so I think having an enemy unit in the hex should stop them producing.
For LI and Refinery however, they are locally produced and stored at the base (and would be 'in the base') and could be generated with enemy presence in the hex.

It would not be a 'cheat', as damage to LI and REF devices would make it harder to produce supply/fuel.
I would like to add this change for the next weekend beta.

Any comments??

---
In original WITP, HI produced fuel and supply regardless of enemy units in hex.

Part of the occupation strategy, from an invading army perspective, should be the reduction or elimination of the opponent's supplies and war materials...

Is there a way to impact base production output (saying there are resources available at the base) based on something like the percentage of base + port damage? Invaders need to bomb the airfields and ports (if there is a port hex) to reduce the defender's ability to create supplies and fuel.

It's too bad we can't give arty another mission - "targets of opportunity" - which would have an impact on a defender's industry, resources, or supplies...

Unless there's a way to blockade a port, I'm not in favor of the blockade runner concept if port > 3... I think that supply and movement are already a bear for the attacker forces just to get to an enemy base (especially over land in malaria zones)... I'm not in favor of anything that adds to a base defense that the attacking force has no ability to counter.

Just my 2 cents.

TTFN,

Mike
TTFN,

Mike
Puhis

Post by Puhis »

Maybe devs should take time out and figure out why patch 5 or 6 changed that? I don't see any point that patches change some things back and forth.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: 1EyedJacks

Part of the occupation strategy, from an invading army perspective, should be the reduction or elimination of the opponent's supplies and war materials...

Is there a way to impact base production output (saying there are resources available at the base) based on something like the percentage of base + port damage? Invaders need to bomb the airfields and ports (if there is a port hex) to reduce the defender's ability to create supplies and fuel.

It seems to me that bombing air fields and ports shouldn't have any impact on industrial production when using stored/stockpiled raw materials. If you want to stop HI/LI supply production bomb them instead of the AF/port. The City attack option is there for that purpose.

Japanese players never seem to want to do this because they will shortly own the base and will be left to rebuild the HI/LI. All I can say is war is full of choices. Not all of them are easy. [:)]

But the mechanism is already in the game to do long-term supply denial if HI/LI production is turned back on.
The Moose
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Regarding the concerns about major sieges being impossible for the attacker to win under this proposal when it is combined with optional stacking limits: I disagree.

- First off, get rid of any HR that prohibits strategic bombing of such targets. Then LI, HI, or whatever you want at the target can be bombed and production shut down that way.

- Second, heavy bombing of the port/airfield complex usually produces a good number of supply hits. Supply hits will oppose supply production by industry, daily supply allotments, and whittle down supply stocks.

- Third, even bombing base/industry targets will produce some troop casualties. If repaired/enabled that uses supply, if not the defense is diminished. If enough bombers are available then some can be detailed to attack troops directly. The casualties are affected by fortifications and terrain in addition to variable factors like weather.

Major sieges in this game almost always go along with a great degree of air superiority. I suggest that should be part of the equation.

As far as examples like Manila, IRL Bataan was besieged while Manila got a pass. How long would Manila have lasted if the USA chose that as the last redoubt? Would these changes really make it possible for Manila to outlast the Empire's endurance for the siege? Would the Empire have to use strategic bombing to help things along? It seems to me that the stronger a defense force is the more likely that industry should be wrecked by the assault anyway. If Manila is the last redoubt, how difficult should it be to capture? Should the IJA be able to capture it with the same forces that were able to capture Bataan?

Specifically regarding China with optional stacking limits, in my PBM (Babes 28-C) this change would make no difference at all. Many mods, such as Babes, have already concerted a portion of Chinese LI to daily supply (so that it can not be bombed) to simulate the very wide dispersal of major portions of it. We have no HR against strat bombing in China, so almost the only supply generation left is from those daily supply allotments here and there (which are not overly large anyway). Major sieges are difficult but not impossible at all.

Andav

Post by Andav »

I would tend to agree with Greyjoy on this (probably because I play Japan on a stacking limit map against witpqs). It seems to have been working for a while so I am not sure a change is really necessary.

That being said, if LI is allowed to produce, I do not think it will be a big deal. We also play a minimal house rule game so I have been happily bombing LI and HI as part of my strategy to take China (and other places). I know I will have to rebuild them once I take the city so I have to plan accordingly. That or I can let them keep feeding the Chinese. It is my choice.

If the change is made, I would think leaving LI running is OK (I will just bomb it and expect it to be bombed so it can't produce). The rest should probably not produce if occupied.

Wa
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Regarding the concerns about major sieges being impossible for the attacker to win under this proposal when it is combined with optional stacking limits: I disagree.

- First off, get rid of any HR that prohibits strategic bombing of such targets. Then LI, HI, or whatever you want at the target can be bombed and production shut down that way.

- Second, heavy bombing of the port/airfield complex usually produces a good number of supply hits. Supply hits will oppose supply production by industry, daily supply allotments, and whittle down supply stocks.

- Third, even bombing base/industry targets will produce some troop casualties. If repaired/enabled that uses supply, if not the defense is diminished. If enough bombers are available then some can be detailed to attack troops directly. The casualties are affected by fortifications and terrain in addition to variable factors like weather.

Major sieges in this game almost always go along with a great degree of air superiority. I suggest that should be part of the equation.

As far as examples like Manila, IRL Bataan was besieged while Manila got a pass. How long would Manila have lasted if the USA chose that as the last redoubt? Would these changes really make it possible for Manila to outlast the Empire's endurance for the siege? Would the Empire have to use strategic bombing to help things along? It seems to me that the stronger a defense force is the more likely that industry should be wrecked by the assault anyway. If Manila is the last redoubt, how difficult should it be to capture? Should the IJA be able to capture it with the same forces that were able to capture Bataan?

Specifically regarding China with optional stacking limits, in my PBM (Babes 28-C) this change would make no difference at all. Many mods, such as Babes, have already concerted a portion of Chinese LI to daily supply (so that it can not be bombed) to simulate the very wide dispersal of major portions of it. We have no HR against strat bombing in China, so almost the only supply generation left is from those daily supply allotments here and there (which are not overly large anyway). Major sieges are difficult but not impossible at all.

All good points that partly line up with the points I made above: if you want to stop supply generation, stop supply generation by bombing LI/HI. In a siege situation it would be extremely rare that the defender could spare 1000 supply per point to rebuild. OTOH, trying to work down supply by bombing AFs results in a couple of supply hits per attack, and unless every hex side is controlled that is often replaced.

However, I would guard against doing any analysis on this issue from the perspective of stacking limits mods. While I recognize that many old timers and forum regulars are playing these now, they are still mods. Matrix has always had a policy of supporting stock games, especially stock AI games, and letting mods work around the borders of that. It's very possible that the optimal answer to this question is opposite for stacking versus non-stacking games. In that case the stock game should control.
The Moose
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Andav

I would tend to agree with Greyjoy on this (probably because I play Japan on a stacking limit map against witpqs). It seems to have been working for a while so I am not sure a change is really necessary.

That being said, if LI is allowed to produce, I do not think it will be a big deal. We also play a minimal house rule game so I have been happily bombing LI and HI as part of my strategy to take China (and other places). I know I will have to rebuild them once I take the city so I have to plan accordingly. That or I can let them keep feeding the Chinese. It is my choice.

If the change is made, I would think leaving LI running is OK (I will just bomb it and expect it to be bombed so it can't produce). The rest should probably not produce if occupied.

Wa

The question is different everywhere. At Manila, for example, LI is 100 per day and there is no HI. Not enough to matter in a siege. But take a look at Chungking. Right now all Japan has to do is camp a stack in the hex and that core city is reduced to organic "slash supply" of 400 per day. But full HI/LI gives 540 more per day so long as stockpiles are present, and that depends a bit on Japan closing all hex sides, a much harder tactical problem. Nearly 1000 supply per day is a whole different situation for a siege, and I believe the original devs made the slash supply level be 400 based on an assumption that HI/LI would be available.

I reiterate: Japanese players playing a stacking game also need to be very careful what they wish for. Leaving the situation as it is now will result in potentially severely curtailed HI banks in the late war. For the Allies it is far, far easier to camp on a hex and use the terrain bonus to defend than it is to fully capture the HI-producing city and face losses of devices and most importantly time.
The Moose
Theages

Post by Theages »

What about only shutting off production, when a minimum number of enemy troops is present (AV check) and / or a certain attacker - defender AV ratio is reached (eg. more than 1:1)?

Andav

Post by Andav »

The question is different everywhere. At Manila, for example, LI is 100 per day and there is no HI. Not enough to matter in a siege. But take a look at Chungking. Right now all Japan has to do is camp a stack in the hex and that core city is reduced to organic "slash supply" of 400 per day. But full HI/LI gives 540 more per day so long as stockpiles are present, and that depends a bit on Japan closing all hex sides, a much harder tactical problem. Nearly 1000 supply per day is a whole different situation for a siege, and I believe the original devs made the slash supply level be 400 based on an assumption that HI/LI would be available.

I reiterate: Japanese players playing a stacking game also need to be very careful what they wish for. Leaving the situation as it is now will result in potentially severely curtailed HI banks in the late war. For the Allies it is far, far easier to camp on a hex and use the terrain bonus to defend than it is to fully capture the HI-producing city and face losses of devices and most importantly time.

Sure. I most definitely see your point. If the Japanese player chooses to let the Chinese have 1000 per day by failing to bomb the HI or LI, then they have to live with that decision. I can easily counter that by bombing the LI and HI (or deny fuel to prohibit HI). Basically, I think this can be pretty easily countered with tactics if the HI or LI is left producing during a siege. For my own personal play style, the HI and LI will be bombed well before I am even in the hex to avoid letting the Chinese have supplies. If I do not have air superiority, I probably have no business laying siege to the city.

As for late game HI issues, if the Japanese are short on HI in the late game it is probably more a failure to plan in 1942 then the Allies camping HI centers in 1944. For the Japanese, we all know HI will be reduced to nothing over time and have to plan for that. It is just part of what we do.

Wa
CaptDave

Post by CaptDave »

After reading through all the posts, it seems to me that no option is vastly superior to any other. Each has its own merits.

My contribution to the debate will center on HI production. If I understand what michaelm said, HI goes into a global pool while LI is kept locally. If that's a correct interpretation, then the problem is that it shouldn't be assumed that the HI still being produced can be delivered to other locations. Perhaps the solution there -- and this is purely hypothetical, without regard to whatever programming difficulties may render it impossible -- is to reduce HI production based on percentage of hexside control.

Using these numbers just for the sake of illustration, say a hex side with a road or railroad -- the logical way to ship the HI points -- counts as 10 hexsides, while others count as 1. If the enemy controls the 2 road hexsides in a sample hex but not the rest, then HI output is reduced by 5/6 (20/24). Once all hexsides are controlled and the HI can't leave, production is reduced to 0.

This is all an interesting concept, but I agree with the observations of the dilemma: the need exists to balance gameplay with logic.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Theages

What about only shutting off production, when a minimum number of enemy troops is present (AV check) and / or a certain attacker - defender AV ratio is reached (eg. more than 1:1)?

Anything, in theory, could be coded, but this proposal doesn't have a lot of logical consistency. If industry is inside the city, why would having more troops outside the city stop it from producing? You also get into satellites issues. For example, this gives the defender free intel on the AV strength of units sieging the city. The defender just has to watch for the switch to flip on or off. Also, a lot of units don't have any AV, but are still enemy units which flip hexsides. Finally, bombing defending troops could have the effect of stopping civilian workers from doing their jobs; flipping the switch the other way through bombing. There is already a way to stop civilians from producing--City attacks on the industry. There's no logical reason killing soldiers should stop steelworkers.
The Moose
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

As for late game HI issues, if the Japanese are short on HI in the late game it is probably more a failure to plan in 1942 then the Allies camping HI centers in 1944. For the Japanese, we all know HI will be reduced to nothing over time and have to plan for that. It is just part of what we do.

Wa

The Allies can camp earlier than 1944. Heck, they could "camp" using paratroops, at least for a day or two. Step into the hex, and boom! It's down.

JFB attempts on India and Oz as HI banks would be severely limited. I can get enough stuff to Calcutta on rails to shut it down in a week and keep it down. By late 1942, early 1943. I can't take it, but I can sit in its hex pretty well.

I think a lot of JFBs would be eager for the code to remain as is in terms of their 1942, but I can already hear howls of anguish when no, zero, not a one, Japanese aircraft can be produced in late 1944. As an AFB I can camp with 25-33% of the AV it would take to capture the city given urban terrain bonuses. That frees up a LOT of troops to camp lots of places. Whack A Mole.

I can already see the two dozen thread titles a year from now: "Is camping gamey?!"

Here I am, an Allied player, trying to save JFBs from themselves. Imagine . . .
The Moose
SqzMyLemon

Post by SqzMyLemon »

I've always played under the assumption that if I occupied an enemy hex containing both HI and LI that both industries would still produce providing there were enough resources stockpiled to allow production to continue, but any inherent source of fuel, oil or resources would stop. This simulated a siege or production just eventually dwindling due to a lack of raw materials.

When I learned the other day that this was no longer the case, that if I simply contest an enemy owned hex that all production stops regardless of stockpiles, I was quite surprised and felt this could have a major effect on gameplay. I totally agree with Bull, be careful what you ask for and I see a scenario where simply contesting these types of bases by the Allies could bring Japan to her knees earlier than thought possible.

I liked it as it was before the patch change. HI and LI should be able to produce as long as stockpiles of fuel/oil/resources exist at the base, but that stockpile can't be added to from any source either internally/externally once the base is contested.

Just my thoughts.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon

I've always played under the assumption that if I occupied an enemy hex containing both HI and LI that both industries would still produce providing there were enough resources stockpiled to allow production to continue, but any inherent source of fuel, oil or resources would stop. This simulated a siege or production just eventually dwindling due to a lack of raw materials.

When I learned the other day that this was no longer the case, that if I simply contest an enemy owned hex that all production stops regardless of stockpiles, I was quite surprised and felt this could have a major effect on gameplay. I totally agree with Bull, be careful what you ask for and I see a scenario where simply contesting these types of bases by the Allies could bring Japan to her knees earlier than thought possible.

I liked it as it was before the patch change. HI and LI should be able to produce as long as stockpiles of fuel/oil/resources exist at the base, but that stockpile can't be added to from any source either internally/externally once the base is contested.

Just my thoughts.
AFAIK hex side control dictates movement of raw materials as it does the movement of supply. So unless an attacker has cut off all the routes into a city it's not actually a siege.
Andav

Post by Andav »

Don't get me wrong here. I am in favor of leaving LI (and HI for that matter) running when occupied and there are resources present. It probably helps the JFB a lot more then the AFB. I am just not opposed to turning it off when occupied like it has been for a while now.

I really think this is not a huge deal. If by the middle of 1943, the Allies are in a position to camp my HI centers in places where I am counting on still having HI centers (The Home Islands, Manchuria, most of China, even Singapore and the DEI), I probably have much larger problems. If by the middle of 1943 the Allies have denied my ability to use HI centers in India or Oz by camping them, I can probably live with that. This is assuming I have decided to let all my units die in place just to have HI run. In most cases, this will not happen when I have the opportunity to maneuver.

The biggest place where the Allies benefit is in China. This is easy to counter with bombing the centers so they are not usable.

Paratroopers? Ok. Since I pretty much expect HI centers to be bombed when in 4E range (read transport range), if I decide the hex is important enough I will have suitable AA in the hex as well as CAP to defend this high value target. More than likely, I will have some garrison as well since pretty much every high value city needs some sort of garrison. I think paratroopers would find it very difficult to attack and live for more than one day if they even survive the initial shock attack. If I have left it defenseless enough that paratroopers can stay there then that is my lack of planning. Again, it is using tactics to prevent bad things from happening.

Wa

Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

Don't get me wrong here. I am in favor of leaving LI (and HI for that matter) running when occupied and there are resources present. It probably helps the JFB a lot more then the AFB. I am just not opposed to turning it off when occupied like it has been for a while now.

I really think this is not a huge deal.

You've never played an Allied player who pushes the engine.

If by the middle of 1943,

Fall of 1942 in China for sure. Chinese units break up into tiny pieces real good, and they ressurect for free. Also, the code as I understand it now doens't require the unit have any AV. An HQ with twelve squads could shut down Changsha until you can eject it. Or an AA unit.

the Allies are in a position to camp my HI centers in places where I am counting on still having HI centers (The Home Islands, Manchuria, most of China, even Singapore and the DEI), I probably have much larger problems.

You're probably good for 1942 and half of 1943 in these areas unless your opponent has a strong anti-HR strategy.

If by the middle of 1943 the Allies have denied my ability to use HI centers in India or Oz by camping them

Much earlier. Both have excellent railroads. More to the point, unless auto-vic is the goal there woudl be no reason at all to go to these regions. India only makes sense if the HI points can be banked and sent home. Without them it's a huge risk and expense for really nothing. JFBs woudl be restricted to much more historical geographies. Woudl that lead to more quitting early out of boredom?

, I can probably live with that. This is assuming I have decided to let all my units die in place just to have HI run. In most cases, this will not happen when I have the opportunity to maneuver.

As the Allies I can force your maneuvering into tighter funnels by forcing you to have reaction forces stationed all over the place. Remember, I can shut down ALL production, including fuel and resources, by sticking a base force alongside a base force. Or an AA unit alongside a base force. Battle of the midgets. And I don't have to stay forever. I can kill by the death of a thousand cuts. Take away 25% of the HI-days across the map for 1943 and what does that do to aircraft production in 1945? Can you meet pilot taxes in 1944?

The biggest place where the Allies benefit is in China. This is easy to counter with bombing the centers so they are not usable.

No, the biggest places the Allies benefit are Singapore anbd Palembang, two bases the Japanese need and need fast. So JFBs would love for the code to remain unchanged on that basis. But they'd hate it long-term now that everyone knows how it works.

Paratroopers? Ok. Since I pretty much expect HI centers to be bombed when in 4E range (read transport range),

Transports have more range than most early war bombers. Paratroops also don't have to drop on the HI base. A dot base works fine. They can walk.

if I decide the hex is important enough I will have suitable AA in the hex as well as CAP to defend this high value target. More than likely, I will have some garrison as well since pretty much every high value city needs some sort of garrison. I think paratroopers would find it very difficult to attack and live for more than one day if they even survive the initial shock attack.

See above.

If I have left it defenseless enough that paratroopers can stay there then that is my lack of planning. Again, it is using tactics to prevent bad things from happening.

Wa

The Moose
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

I really think this is not a huge deal.

You've never played an Allied player who pushes the engine.

If by the middle of 1943,

Fall of 1942 in China for sure. Chinese units break up into tiny pieces real good, and they ressurect for free. Also, the code as I understand it now doens't require the unit have any AV. An HQ with twelve squads could shut down Changsha until you can eject it. Or an AA unit.

the Allies are in a position to camp my HI centers in places where I am counting on still having HI centers (The Home Islands, Manchuria, most of China, even Singapore and the DEI), I probably have much larger problems.

You're probably good for 1942 and half of 1943 in these areas unless your opponent has a strong anti-HR strategy.

If by the middle of 1943 the Allies have denied my ability to use HI centers in India or Oz by camping them

Much earlier. Both have excellent railroads. More to the point, unless auto-vic is the goal there woudl be no reason at all to go to these regions. India only makes sense if the HI points can be banked and sent home. Without them it's a huge risk and expense for really nothing. JFBs woudl be restricted to much more historical geographies. Woudl that lead to more quitting early out of boredom?

, I can probably live with that. This is assuming I have decided to let all my units die in place just to have HI run. In most cases, this will not happen when I have the opportunity to maneuver.

As the Allies I can force your maneuvering into tighter funnels by forcing you to have reaction forces stationed all over the place. Remember, I can shut down ALL production, including fuel and resources, by sticking a base force alongside a base force. Or an AA unit alongside a base force. Battle of the midgets. And I don't have to stay forever. I can kill by the death of a thousand cuts. Take away 25% of the HI-days across the map for 1943 and what does that do to aircraft production in 1945? Can you meet pilot taxes in 1944?

No, the biggest places the Allies benefit are Singapore anbd Palembang, two bases the Japanese need and need fast. So JFBs would love for the code to remain unchanged on that basis. But they'd hate it long-term now that everyone knows how it works.

Paratroopers? Ok. Since I pretty much expect HI centers to be bombed when in 4E range (read transport range),

Transports have more range than most early war bombers. Paratroops also don't have to drop on the HI base. A dot base works fine. They can walk.

if I decide the hex is important enough I will have suitable AA in the hex as well as CAP to defend this high value target. More than likely, I will have some garrison as well since pretty much every high value city needs some sort of garrison. I think paratroopers would find it very difficult to attack and live for more than one day if they even survive the initial shock attack.

See above.

If I have left it defenseless enough that paratroopers can stay there then that is my lack of planning. Again, it is using tactics to prevent bad things from happening.

Wa

Moose, I disagree that you can do these things against a good player. You have to get the units there for them to have any effect. That is the glaring weakness in your plan to use tiny units and base forces. If you bring a lot of force to the party that is different, and of course you can only do so much of that. Needing reaction forces - yeah, that's closer to reality anyway.

As far as HQ units go, they won't even enter an enemy controlled hex without units that have AV going with them. That rule might extend to any unit with 0 AV, but for sure it coves HQ units.

Return to “Tech Support”