A cautionary research tale

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Chris21wen

A cautionary research tale

Post by Chris21wen »

I posted this a while back and I'm doing it again as it has annoyed me somewhat as this is the second time it's happen (once really as I set the research up when I started the game). [:@] with myself.

MAKE SURE YOU RESEARCH ENGINES AT THE SAME OR FASTER RATE THAN YOU RESEARCH THE AIR FRAMES THAT NEED THE ENGINES.
Empire101

RE: A cautionary research tale

Post by Empire101 »

Yep, there is nothing more infuriating than researching one and forgetting to do the other......I'm sure we have all done it once!!
[font="Tahoma"]Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
[/font] - Michael Burleigh

d0mbo

Post by d0mbo »

Still doing it. You are too late :(

Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

The (only) good news is that the repair models for the aircraft engine factory R&D is entirely different from airframes. But yes-getting the airframes before the engines stinks. Not that I've experienced that, of course...
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

The (only) good news is that the repair models for the aircraft engine factory R&D is entirely different from airframes. But yes-getting the airframes before the engines stinks. Not that I've experienced that, of course...
Like many other facets of the game, sounds maddeningly realistic!
Icedawg

Post by Icedawg »

I have a question related to the OP's advice.

When researching a particular "end of the line" plane, like the Tojo C, don't you also have to research the earlier model(s) also? Otherwise, you run the risk of advancing the final version that you want to a point in time earlier than the arrival of the earlier model. If this happens, don't you lose the ability to upgrade production factories without damaging them?

For example, let's suppose that I advance the Tojo C such that it arrives before the Tojo B. If I upgrade an existing Tojo A production factory directly to the Tojo C, the factory gets damaged. If, on the other hand, I have the Tojo B avaiable, I could upgrade the factory to the Tojo B with no damage. The next turn, I could upgrade the Tojo B factory to the Tojo C (again with no damage).

Or am I missing something here?
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Icedawg

When researching a particular "end of the line" plane, like the Tojo C, don't you also have to research the earlier model(s) also? Otherwise, you run the risk of advancing the final version that you want to a point in time earlier than the arrival of the earlier model. If this happens, don't you lose the ability to upgrade production factories without damaging them?

For example, let's suppose that I advance the Tojo C such that it arrives before the Tojo B. If I upgrade an existing Tojo A production factory directly to the Tojo C, the factory gets damaged. If, on the other hand, I have the Tojo B avaiable, I could upgrade the factory to the Tojo B with no damage. The next turn, I could upgrade the Tojo B factory to the Tojo C (again with no damage).

I've seen people mention this before, and I think it works for at least some models (various A6Ms come to mind)... I've not tested it, however.
GreyJoy

Post by GreyJoy »

ORIGINAL: Icedawg

You're right. If the Tojo IIc appears at 3/43 for example and you haven't R&D the Tojo IIb, then you won't be able to upgrade without damaging them the factories already producing the Tojo IIa untill the Tojo IIb arrival dates.
Obviously you can convert into production the R&D tojo IIc factories without problem, but that won't be the best solution in a "realistic R&D ON" environement
nashvillen

Post by nashvillen »

Also, don't forget to turn upgrades to off on models you don't want going any higher!
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy

You're right. If the Tojo IIc appears at 3/43 for example and you haven't R&D the Tojo IIb, then you won't be able to upgrade without damaging them the factories already producing the Tojo IIa untill the Tojo IIb arrival dates.
Obviously you can convert into production the R&D tojo IIc factories without problem, but that won't be the best solution in a "realistic R&D ON" environement

Same goes for research as production. Upgrading through the chain prevents damage to the factory.
Miller

Post by Miller »

ORIGINAL: Chris H

I posted this a while back and I'm doing it again as it has annoyed me somewhat as this is the second time it's happen (once really as I set the research up when I started the game). [:@] with myself.

MAKE SURE YOU RESEARCH ENGINES AT THE SAME OR FASTER RATE THAN YOU RESEARCH THE AIR FRAMES THAT NEED THE ENGINES.

Yep, guilty of this in my latest game. I had grand plans of getting all the best fighters researched by mid 44, only to find the required engine does not arrive until 9/45 and all the engine r/d factories have already switched into production factories[:@]
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: Miller

ORIGINAL: Chris H

Yep, guilty of this in my latest game. I had grand plans of getting all the best fighters researched by mid 44, only to find the required engine does not arrive until 9/45 and all the engine r/d factories have already switched into production factories[:@]

Oooch![:o] Worse than mine, I'd sling my toys out the pram if that had happened to me.
LargeSlowTarget

Post by LargeSlowTarget »

ORIGINAL: witpqs
ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Like many other facets of the game, sounds maddeningly realistic!

Didn't the Ki-100 owe its existence to the fact that there were Ki-61 aiframes sitting around waiting for delivery of their Kawasaki engines and it was decided to use Mitsubishi engines instead? Granted, this was no production date snafu - the Kawasaki engine factory was destroyed by Allied bombers - but the result was Japan's best fighter plane. Just have patience... [;)]

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”