Distant Worlds Legends startup crash

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Xornox

Distant Worlds Legends startup crash

Post by Xornox »

I have not got Distant Worlds to work for a long time.

I install first basic Distant Worlds, then Return to Shakturi, Legends and finally the latest Legends patch.

When I start the game, Windows gives back immediately error "Distant Worlds has stopped to work..."

I have 64-bit Windows 7 system with quite new hardware. I have re-installed the game already many times but nothing seems to help. Any ideas what I should do?
ASHBERY76

RE: Distant Worlds Legends startup crash

Post by ASHBERY76 »

I have the same 64-bit Windows 7 set up so it's not that.Uninstall the whole game again including the codeforce folder in the appdata roaming file.Try Legends without any patches first.
Xornox

Post by Xornox »

I uninstalled Distant World, removed codeforce folder in appdata and deleted all folders and files remaining in the installation location.

Then I installed basic Distant World and updated it with the "Update Distant World" - tool.

Everything went well, but the updater warned me that I have Return of Shakturi installed in the computer although I am sure that I removed everything?!? The problem did not disappear.
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

Install basic,Return and Legends do not use the updater untill Legends.
Xornox

Post by Xornox »

Thanks for trying to help but nothing seems to work... Deleted again everything, installed basic, return and legends and run the updated. Still the game crashes immediately on start.
Xornox

Post by Xornox »

Huoh... I had also disabled Windows Media Player and Distant World crashed because of that. There should be check and warning on the boot about disabled media player. It is almost impossible to find the reason to the problem.
Dracus

Post by Dracus »

try running it in XP compat mode and make sure you have given the files admin level if you security accounts set.
Peef

Post by Peef »

I just bought the game with all expansions, installed & updated, and I have the same problem :(

also on win 7 64bits

any thoughts?
Peef

Post by Peef »

I've tried to uninstall everything, run the cleanup tool, reinstall again, still the same problem

can't find anything else to do, can someone help me?
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

Updated Legends to v1.7.0.17 and started a new game. It crashed after about a half hour. Will try to recreate the crash. I also have Win 7 64 bit.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
morelyn

Post by morelyn »

I have the same problem as the OP. Game works fine with Shakturi, add Legends and it crashes on startup. Vista 32-bit. DirectX 11, but I let the DW installer install DirectX and .Net.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the rest of the night.
Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
morelyn

Post by morelyn »

Ok, I solved my problem. For those having a similar problem, make sure you're installing release versions of the original game and Shakturi. I was inadvertently using a beta version of shakturi and that's what caused the problems.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the rest of the night.
Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Korvus77

Post by Korvus77 »

I did a fresh install from download links and used Legends updater and game crashes on start up. I tried starting up with admin in compatibility and without compatibility mode same issue. Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.
Korvus77

Post by Korvus77 »

I noted one reply stated they had an issue with the first expansion being a beta download. When I go to My Games the only download I see for the Return expansion is as follows.
DW Return of the Shakturi v1.5.0.11 Beta

Is there someplace I should be looking for a download besides the My Games link? Thanks for any help.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

That's an update rather than the full expansion installer. If you don't see a download link for the full game in the Members Club, it means you must not have been logged into your account when you purchased it, so it was not associated with your account. In that case, a request to our Help Desk will set you up with a new full game download link ASAP.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

Isn't it a rather simple task to verify that the main installer have been run? So that patching shakturi fails on a DW vanilla? Some file dropped somewhere ought to be possible to check.

And just in case, it could always be a warning, and something that can be overridden. Just in case the user enjoys deleting random files after doing the full install.
Korvus77

Post by Korvus77 »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

That's an update rather than the full expansion installer. If you don't see a download link for the full game in the Members Club, it means you must not have been logged into your account when you purchased it, so it was not associated with your account. In that case, a request to our Help Desk will set you up with a new full game download link ASAP.

Regards,

- Erik

Thank you I will look now. :)
Korvus77

Post by Korvus77 »

edit: I think it was an eye dee ten tea error on my part. Found a link for the game client in a separate email will give that a whirl.

Return to “Tech Support”