Admiral WitP vs boardgames

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

fulcrum28

Admiral WitP vs boardgames

Post by fulcrum28 »

I am really enjoying the game but sometimes I feel I miss to have a clear view of the operations. I do not like the fact that you cant decide to launch the air attacks for example, but it is minor issue.

What I liked for old style boardgames was that you have on the table a clear view of your map and units from the beginning. The drawback is obviously the playability in solitaire games. With computer you can play all scenarios.

Does someone else miss or have any favorite pacific based board war game that matches WitP ?

The most comprehensive website on the IJN Imperial Japanese Navy Y:"Let us enjoy the beauty of the moon (sinking aboard Hiryu)
ilovestrategy

RE: Admiral WitP vs boardgames

Post by ilovestrategy »

I miss those days but it is totally impossible for most of us with families. Especially wargamers with cats scattering pieces everywhere.

What's nice about computer games is that wargames are not graphic intensive so you can play them on a cheap laptop for when you are on the go.

I know you are asking about Pacific War games but I do miss playing table top Starfleet Battles.
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

No, I find I miss the face to face interaction with my buddies but that is about all. I played enough monster board games to know that you really never get the chance to go far in them. Combine that with the space and time they demand and it just never was practicable to play them. I bought more than I ever played. A game such as AE would be unplayable as an old fashioned board game.

One day I will tell you the story about the pot roast that was dropped on a massive board game....That should cure you of any nostalgia for a while. [;)]
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Hermit

Post by Hermit »

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

I miss those days but it is totally impossible for most of us with families. Especially wargamers with cats scattering pieces everywhere.

What's nice about computer games is that wargames are not graphic intensive so you can play them on a cheap laptop for when you are on the go.

I know you are asking about Pacific War games but I do miss playing table top Starfleet Battles.

You might be interested in a little gem I discovered on Steam, called Faster than Light or FTL, that's only a couple dollars while it's on sale. I'm not sure if it still is now or not. Its an Indie game with basic graphics, but its right in line with Starfleet Battles for your computer. I love it...
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

To me a big advantage of WITP over the boardgame versions is the fact that you cannot see all the units on the board. Computer versions of boardgames (which is, in effect, what WITP provides) do a much better job of providing Fog of War - the nasty surprise that you receive when your enemy shows up in an entirely unexpected location.

The best boardgame covering any portion of the Pacific Theater was Flattop, IMO.
fair winds,
Brad
Mundy

Post by Mundy »

As a kid I never had the space to keep Flat Top set up.  The dining room table (special events only) was simply a cat magnet.

When UV came along, the desire to even try it again just faded away.  Lots more under the hood. 

Ed-
CarnageINC

Post by CarnageINC »

HA! You've hit upon a great passion I have for naval boardgames [:)] So I'm going to shamelessly plug a great boardgame series from http://www.avalanchepress.com/ called Second World War at Sea http://www.avalanchepress.com/line_WWIISea.php

These are top line games that weave into them a good naval and air feel to them. You have to have orders for your fleets so it kinda of a double blind system that adds some suspense to the game.

Of course the kitty's will still cause havoc on them but they sure are fun to play to this day [;)]
Cribtop

Post by Cribtop »

I love the old board games but they are unplayable once you have a job, wife and kids. Had great times with Star Fleet Battles, Empires in Arms, Flat Top, WWII ETO/PTO, etc. I remember we opened up the truly massive and complex AH game Vietnam just after getting a real job and quickly realized there was no way any of us could finish it. Haven't played a board game since, but such fond memories!
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

There are something is missing from the boardgame and somethings are missing from the WitP:AE, only things i wasnt happy with it that doesnt show truely tactical battles, esp for naval engagements. The boardgame (WitP 2nd by DG) is pricey and got mine from ebay for 250USD, retail is 420. Noticed it had alot of useless counters and lovely Pacific Map. Also need more rooms for display sheets, etcs. So i simply write them down on text books instead.

I manage to get my map on the wall in the Family or Den room with wooden panel along with metal sheets for magnet counters, it would be alot, alot better than having it on the table or floor. Noticed i have two sugargliders in that room playing time to time and wont bother the map at all. Also put clear packing tape over the map to protect it and looks even better with it.

Also been working on new set of rules, some says they loved it. So i dont want to show it yet til i get it copyrighted and still trying to get in touch with DG's Publisher if they are interesting in my project or another company. The rulesets is mixed with Strategy, Tactical and Roleplaying and it is interesting game i have here. Hopefully i have it up and ready within six to twelve months, depending on publisher situations.
Reg

Post by Reg »

You guys are aware that you can play board games in PBEM, on-line in real time and offline (keeping the map with setup counters away from the dogs/cats/kids etc) using Vassal and Cyberboard?

http://cyberboard.brainiac.com/index.html - Cyberboard
http://www.limeyyankgames.co.uk - Cyberboard modules
http://www.vassalengine.org/ - Vassal and modules

Note that a wide range of game modules are available but at least one player needs to own a physical copy the game.

Attachments
Flattop_Vassal.gif
Flattop_Vassal.gif (156.25 KiB) Viewed 72 times
Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!
PizzaMan

Post by PizzaMan »

+1
stretch

Post by stretch »

My all time favorite is Victory Games' "Pacific War" by Mark Herman, currently being reworked up for a new release by Mark. I own 3 copies, the one I ruined in 1990, the one I bought to play again, and a mint for my collection.
nashvillen

Post by nashvillen »

ORIGINAL: PizzaMan

+1

With Minitures! Did one about a month ago... [:D]
nashvillen

Post by nashvillen »

Also, I love monster games! Some think a game with 2000 counters is a lot. Not me. I own one that I have over 50,000 counters for. Ask rjopel, he has almost as much in his copy!
rjopel

Post by rjopel »

ORIGINAL: nashvillen

Also, I love monster games! Some think a game with 2000 counters is a lot. Not me. I own one that I have over 50,000 counters for. Ask rjopel, he has almost as much in his copy!

50,000 might be an understatement. Between the two of us the count is north of 100K.
Ryan Opel
AcePylut

Post by AcePylut »

Heya, did you ever play Starfleet Command? It's about 10 years old, was basically SFB on computer.
bigred

Post by bigred »

My local group is starting WiF next saturday, dec12th.

Room for one more player, just book your plane ticket for every other weekend...
---bigred---

IJ Production mistakes--
tm.asp?m=2597400
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

ORIGINAL: stretch

My all time favorite is Victory Games' "Pacific War" by Mark Herman, currently being reworked up for a new release by Mark. I own 3 copies, the one I ruined in 1990, the one I bought to play again, and a mint for my collection.

This was my favorite as well. However board games were totally frustrating to me as I never was able to link up with folks to PLAY them! I had ONE game of Pacific War in all the years I've had it. Now I have a game going electronically of WitPAE all the time! So to me, there is no looking back, as the frustration is gone, and I'm glad to see it go! Hal
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

ORIGINAL: fulcrum28

I am really enjoying the game but sometimes I feel I miss to have a clear view of the operations. I do not like the fact that you cant decide to launch the air attacks for example, but it is minor issue.

What I liked for old style boardgames was that you have on the table a clear view of your map and units from the beginning. The drawback is obviously the playability in solitaire games. With computer you can play all scenarios.

Does someone else miss or have any favorite pacific based board war game that matches WitP ?

I play one of the A&A board games once a week with one of my two brothers. Between the three of us, we have all of the current A&A games, minus miniatures.
Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Dez caught it
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

ORIGINAL: RisingSun

There are something is missing from the boardgame and somethings are missing from the WitP:AE, only things i wasnt happy with it that doesnt show truely tactical battles, esp for naval engagements. The boardgame (WitP 2nd by DG) is pricey and got mine from ebay for 250USD, retail is 420. Noticed it had alot of useless counters and lovely Pacific Map. Also need more rooms for display sheets, etcs. So i simply write them down on text books instead.

I manage to get my map on the wall in the Family or Den room with wooden panel along with metal sheets for magnet counters, it would be alot, alot better than having it on the table or floor. Noticed i have two sugargliders in that room playing time to time and wont bother the map at all. Also put clear packing tape over the map to protect it and looks even better with it.

Also been working on new set of rules, some says they loved it. So i dont want to show it yet til i get it copyrighted and still trying to get in touch with DG's Publisher if they are interesting in my project or another company. The rulesets is mixed with Strategy, Tactical and Roleplaying and it is interesting game i have here. Hopefully i have it up and ready within six to twelve months, depending on publisher situations.

I have FOUR copies of this map. When we move into our new house, one will go up on the wall.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”