Conflict of Heroes Gets v1.14 Update, a Demo, and a Sale!

This exciting new release is a faithful adaptation of the renowned Conflict of Heroes board game that won the Origins Historical Game of the Year, Charles Roberts Wargame of the Year and the James F. Dunnigan Design Elegance Award, as well as many others!

Designed and developed in cooperation with Uwe Eickert, the original designer of Conflict of Heroes, and Western Civlization Software, the award-winning computer wargame studio, no effort has been spared to bring the outstanding Conflict of Heroes gameplay to the computer. Conflict of Heroes includes an AI opponent as well as full multiplayer support with an integrated forum and game lobby. To remain true to the core gameplay of the board game, the PC version is designed to be fun, fast and easy to play, though hard to master. The game design is also historically accurate and teaches and rewards platoon and company-level combined arms tactics without overwhelming the player with rules.

Moderator: MOD_WestCiv

Scott Parrino

Conflict of Heroes Gets v1.14 Update, a Demo, and a Sale!

Post by Scott Parrino »

Brand new community-requested features and improvements come just in time for Christmas!

We are excited to announce, along with Western Civilization Software (www.west-civ.com), the release of the incredible v1.14 update and demo for the critically-acclaimed Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear!, the renowned tactical wargame set on the Eastern Front of World War 2.

Not content with just an update and a demo release, Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! is also on sale at 25% off the regular download price until January 14, 2013!

On the fence with getting Conflict of Heroes? Have no fear, a demo is now available! The demo includes three demo scenarios, as well as some of the awesome features in the v1.14 update like the Classic AP system, 2D board game-style maps, and high resolution unit counters, as well as the ability to play the demo scenarios through the multiplayer lobby with other demo players and even players with the full game.

The v1.14 update is incredibly massive, chock full of improvements and fixes to make Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! a hard-hitting wargame. Great care was taken to listen to both the computer and board game communities, and a lot of the features requested made it into the update. Getting the update will give players the option of playing with the fully-implemented Classic AP system that matches the board game AP system, as well as wonderfully-detailed 2D board game-style maps in very high resolution to complete the experience! Unit counters also received a resolution upgrade, becoming even more visible and showing dynamic stats through each match!

Basic campaign support is also present in the v1.14 update, allowing players through new custom campaigns to advance all surviving units between multiple firefights, gaining critical experience. A new line of sight tool was also added to aid for those wanting to check if they have the ever-important shot on the rear of lumbering Russian tank. For those that like to challenge human opponents, improved multiplayer support is available as well through better version checking and the ability to set game options while in the lobby.

The v1.14 update is comprehensive and will bring all versions of Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! to v1.14. To download the update, players can run “Check for Update” via the game menu or on the download page. The demo is also available on the download page as well.

Read the changelog below!

v1.14
  • Fixes
    • A few Bug fixes.

v1.12
  • Fixes
    • AI units sometimes attacking too many times.
    • AI moving tanks into terrain which is likely to get them stuck.

Additions[/b] [ul]
  • You can now change your game options from the lobby screen using the new "Options" button.
  • There is a new button in the CAPs area that allows you to set CAP spending on your initiative roll made at the start of your next turn.
  • Added preference for smaller unit information bar.
  • Added basic support for campaigns. Players can now advance all surviving units between multiple firefights. Surviving units have a chance to gain experience; this chance is 50% for green units and 10% less for every higher level of experience, so that veteran units have only a 10% chance of becoming elite. Surviving units are available in the new firefight as reinforcements that enter on the first turn in the standard point buy setup area ("GermanSetup" or "RussianSetup").
    Note that we don't yet have any firefights that use these parameters.
    In the scenario XML file use these tags:
    • GetPiecesFromCampaignName - name of scenario from which to import pieces (from the XML name tag, not the file name)
    • CampaignGainExperienceFactor - multiplies the chance that units moving to a new firefight will gain experience (e.g., setting this to 2 will make green units have a 100% chance to gain experience, veteran units a 20% chance to become elite)
[/ul]

v1.6
  • Fixes
    • Fixed crash when using Command Action to hide a unit or group.
    • Fixed extra cost for uphill movement.
    • Fixed AI bug for unloading units.
  • Improvements
    • USER INTERFACE: 'L' key now shows a line of sight display from the hex under the mouse cursor. An eyeball icon appears on the hex from with the LOS display is calculated. Press L over a new hex to move the display to that hex; press L over the hex with the eyeball in it to turn the overlay display off.
    • USER INTERFACE: Added tooltip to show unit stats over unit buttons during the reinforcement phase.
    • Board Game Maps! Available separately through our Members Club, these are new maps and a new lighting system that allows the Conflict of Heroes computer game to look almost exactly like the board game map. We've heard from many Conflict of Heroes board game players that they would like this option and we are delivering. For the official release of this update, these maps will be available through an in-game option. For now, you will need to download the additional file and unzip the contents with paths (the files go in /Data/Maps) to your Conflict of Heroes installation folder. For this beta release, if you download and unzip these files, they will replace the normal 3D maps. For the official release, both will be available.
    • New High Resolution Dynamic Counters! The option to play with the board game counters has been significantly enhanced. We've added new high resolution counters with dynamic unit statistics that reflect any damage or other effects that are currently on the unit as well. Please give these a try and let us know how you like them!

Image Image Image
Scott Parrino
Public Relations Manager
Slitherine/Matrix Games
Follow us on Twitter and on Facebook!
Budge4

RE: Conflict of Heroes Gets v1.14 Update, a Demo, and a Sale!

Post by Budge4 »

Just updating now, nice Xmas present. Thanks guys, have a good Xmas.

Budge4
AZKGungHo

Post by AZKGungHo »

I've downloaded it twice from the startup menu and got told it wouldn't work so now I'm trying it from the download page, so far I've got 3 hours to go!! [:-]

Network timed out - trying again!
"In Arduis Fidelis"
Louie Marsh

Books:
Once A Raider… http://tinyurl.com/89mfnnk
Getting Real - http://tinyurl.com/7zhcjlq
Websites:
www.usmcraiders.com
discipleup.org
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

Mine says 140 minutes to go. I thought waiting until later would help.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
tsnouffer

Post by tsnouffer »

I'm confused about how to install the paper-style maps. I downlaoded the zip file with them. The instructions on the download page say to unzip it in the main install folder. But since that is a Data folder in that zip won't that overwrite all that other content in that original data folder?

Do I simply move the paper map files into the Maps folder?

The instructions don't seem correct to me?

Sorry for my confusion. I appreciate the help.

(EDIT: I seem to see this is a built in option for the official 1.14 release. I am downloading that now and will see for sure. Thanks!)

Games from the Front
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

For Jamm's Stalingrad map, you have to place the map files in the Data\Maps folder. As you said, the other ones are included in the game.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
Aladinn

Post by Aladinn »

game is still bugged, command point actions doent work as they dont use up any cap points.
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

Can you post your query/bug in a separate thread so the team can check or clarify the problem.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
Krupinski

Post by Krupinski »

Installed the 1.14 Patch. When i start Multiplayer it said that i dont have the up-to-date version which is 1.5.

Its a bit strange that the newest patch is 1.14 and a previous patch has the number 1.5...
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

ORIGINAL: hafer
Its a bit strange that the newest patch is 1.14 and a previous patch has the number 1.5...

It's standard in the software industry that version numbers use "dotted integer format" much like IP addresses do and not decimal points. The actual version of the game is 1.14.4736.25963, which you can see, doesn't look anything like a decimal number. In the early days of software it was more common to use decimals as version numbers, but decimals are only really useful when you need to insert things into an existing sequence, and versions need to be enumerated, they don't really ever need to be inserted back in time into an already existing sequence.
Krupinski

Post by Krupinski »

Thanx for the answer and the explanation. i wasnt fully awoken, so now i understand [;)]

ORIGINAL: ericbabe

ORIGINAL: hafer

It's standard in the software industry that version numbers use "dotted integer format" much like IP addresses do and not decimal points. The actual version of the game is 1.14.4736.25963, which you can see, doesn't look anything like a decimal number. In the early days of software it was more common to use decimals as version numbers, but decimals are only really useful when you need to insert things into an existing sequence, and versions need to be enumerated, they don't really ever need to be inserted back in time into an already existing sequence.
Seve

Post by Seve »

I don't find the paper-style maps in the members club. Can anyone say me where is the link? Thanks in advance.
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

The currently available maps are in the 1.14 update. Start the game, go to System Settings, select Giant Size maps from the Board Game Style map dropdown. Then close the game and start again. Select something from the Awakening the Bear list.
Seve

Post by Seve »

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

The currently available maps are in the 1.14 update. Start the game, go to System Settings, select Giant Size maps from the Board Game Style map dropdown. Then close the game and start again. Select something from the Awakening the Bear list.

Thank you!
Jorm

Post by Jorm »

hmm sure im stupid,

downloaded the demo and it asks for a serial number,

where do i find that ?

thanks

j

e_barkmann

Post by e_barkmann »

just double check you downloaded the demo file and not the patch, I'd be surprised if a demo needed a serial.

cheers
Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo
Jorm

Post by Jorm »

yep, silly me got the patch rather than the demo :-(
too much christmas cheer (beers......)
Zap

Post by Zap »

Okay, you say the download version is on sale. I always get the hard copy when I purchase. So if I buy the hard copy I will see no decrease in price?
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

Hard copy almost always adds $10 to the base price at Matrix. So the download price can go up and down then add $10.

Return to “Conflict of Heroes Series”