Left handed player

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_WestCiv

tydan

Left handed player

Post by tydan »

Hi,
I'm left-handed, my W7 is configured for that (I mean the mouse configuration), but it seems that the game doesn't take this into account. Very disturbing. I don't see anything in the options panel. Any ideas ?
junk2drive

RE: Left handed player

Post by junk2drive »

I have my mouse on the left of my keyboard with the right button as left click and have not had a problem. Is it a mouse click problem or a keyboard hotkey issue?
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

I don't know much about customization and mouse-driver / Win7-setting issues. It seems that some people are able to use their custom settings with "Conflict of Heroes." That others may not be able to do may simply be a matter of the particular driver involved.
tydan

Post by tydan »

Going back ... I've read your advices, and then installed/updated my mice drivers both on my PC/laptop. On my PC, I use a Razor Krait; on the laptop, an old logitech V500.
Same results [&:]. BTW, only in-game buttons and menu are inverted, the included manual from the menu is ok.

So I've looked at the XNA framework. It seems that a implementation needs to be done to take into account left-handed player
ref : xboxforums.create.msdn.com/forums/t/77445.aspx

I am convinced it has to do with XNA, because I bought a few years ago another game (War Plan Pacific -oups, not a matrix game [:-]) also implemented with xna, and I had the same problem (with other pcs, other mice).

Please, the Dev, could you have a look at this ;)
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

Thanks for looking into this. I'll take a look and see whether I can check for that registry value. The mouse polling is a bit distributed throughout the program, so before reviewing the code I'm not confident of opining on whether changing all mouse behavior is a reasonable task for me to undertake or not, but it may be possible.
tydan

Post by tydan »

Thanks for your reply.
Hope it will be possible ...
Last night I play another game with right controls in my left hand.
Very frustating when I want to click on the map to deselect a unit, and it turns wrong changing the facing of the unit.
My brain is upside down [:'(]
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

I upgraded to Win8 and now have this problem too.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
tydan

Post by tydan »

Thanks for the lastest update. Seems great ... but so bad you couldn't take into account the left handed players problem.
Do you think it could be possible ... one day [8|]
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

For years I shared a computer and had to use the right hand. When I got my own I eventually moved the mouse to the left but was afraid to switch the buttons. I used the middle finger to left click and index finger to right click. One day I took the plunge and switched keys. Now with CoH I sometimes move the mouse and sometimes just try to remember what is what. Stranger than that is the settings and MP windows are for left handed mouse and my brain has to go back and forth. At almost 60 this is getting tough.
tydan

Post by tydan »

Yes it is, even in the forties [:'(]. But right hand players can't understand [:D].
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

It's possible one day that we might find a way to change this behavior.
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

That would be nice but I understand that it is not a simple fix.

Meanwhile I just went nuts going back and forth with my login and administrator login that is right handed and the game that is right handed but the in game popups are not and... [:D]
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

My mouse is an older MS comfort optical 3000. It is USB with a PS2 adapter. When I got it, my USB was 1.1 and PS2 was preferred. For W8 the PS2 is not supported and I had to use the old driver. This morning I decided to switch to USB and use the new driver. Guess what, my game is normal now.
tydan

Post by tydan »

I succeded to solve my problem with Autokey program (do a google search)
Configure your mouse as a right-handed user -important-, then install Autokey, and use this script to switch from right to left handed player -with Ctrl+Alt+L- :

Code: Select all

#NoEnv
 #KeyHistory 0
 #SingleInstance force

SetBatchLines, -1
 ListLines, Off
 SetMouseDelay, -1

Suspend, On
 LButton::RButton
 RButton::LButton

^!l::
 Suspend, Toggle
 return

I can now play with all my XNA games (CoH, terraria, War plan Pacific) as a "REAL" left handed player [:'(]
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

I think you mean AutoHotKey. I have used it with a few games. Good for WASD on the number pad keys.

You can add a line to exit with the Esc key.
tydan

Post by tydan »

Yes, AutoHotKey I meant [8|]
stolypin

Post by stolypin »

ORIGINAL: tydan

I succeded to solve my problem with Autokey program (do a google search)
Configure your mouse as a right-handed user -important-, then install Autokey, and use this script to switch from right to left handed player -with Ctrl+Alt+L- :

Code: Select all

#NoEnv
 #KeyHistory 0
 #SingleInstance force

SetBatchLines, -1
 ListLines, Off
 SetMouseDelay, -1

Suspend, On
 LButton::RButton
 RButton::LButton

^!l::
 Suspend, Toggle
 return

I can now play with all my XNA games (CoH, terraria, War plan Pacific) as a "REAL" left handed player [:'(]

I have severe Carpal Tunnel's in my right elbow so that even though I am right-handed, I have had to learn to use a mouse with my left hand. The above works to switch the buttons but in Windows 7, there is a specific setting under Control Panel which allows you to do the same thing.

However, NEITHER work with COH. Even if the mouse buttons are switched using the above or using Windows control panel, COH will not recognize the switch.

That's a shame because COH is the ONLY game in which with which I have this problem.

So for me, if there is no fix, my options are: 1) learn to use the mouse with my left hand but with buttons configured for a right-hand player (certain to be cumbersome, since no other game makes me do that); 2) play the game with my right hand and suffer pain; or 3) move on to something else.
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

Just bought the game from Easter Sale, and ran to this issue as well. Since there's this old thread I thought to ask any news on this?

I've got a desktop with 64bit W10. TIA!
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works

Return to “Tech Support”