Lost my disc

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

greg_slith

Lost my disc

Post by greg_slith »

My computer went the way of Jacob Marley and I had to buy a new one for myself (Merry Christmas to me). I was pretty PO'd because I was in Feb '45 and getting ready to strike the home islands. Oh well, another start. But now I can't find my CD. I have my serial number safe and sound but god only knows where the game went. So the question is: do I have to re-buy the game again? I only want the download as I'm sure I'll find the damn thing someday and I've got a lot of free time over the holidays to start over.
Any and all help is appreciated.
Merry Christmas to all
Greg
witpqs

RE: Lost my disc

Post by witpqs »

It's your unique serial number that matters, the software downloads/discs are all the same. Find someone near you has a disc or download.
greg_slith

Post by greg_slith »

I have it on my laptop. How can I transfer it to the pc?
pompack

Post by pompack »

ORIGINAL: ecwgcx

I have it on my laptop. How can I transfer it to the pc?

When you first get the disk or the download, you have to backup the load module to a separate file in order to restore the game from the backup. Just having the installed game does you no good if you wish to transfer to a different computer.

This advice may be too late for you, but when I first get a game I

1) back up the load module to disk
2) burn a backup CD from the disk backup
3) backup the disk backup on backup file disk and/or thumbdrive
4) Install game and start playing

This way I am covered even if something trashes both the computer and the backup disk files.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

I believe you may be able to completely copy the game directory - I've done that when checking out a mod rather than reinstall using the .exe, and it works fine. I transferred via thumb drive.
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

When I first read the title.. I didn't read it as Disc...[:)]
Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Dez caught it
greg_slith

Post by greg_slith »

I have copied everything to a thumb drive but is there a special way install it? I keep getting an error message. Also the new 'puter has Windows 8.
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

My computer went the way of Jacob Marley and I had to buy a new one for myself (Merry Christmas to me). I was pretty PO'd because I was in Feb '45 and getting ready to strike the home islands. Oh well, another start. But now I can't find my CD.
If your HDD is not the culprit then you should be able to get your files fairly easily and even if the hdd is trashed there is software to recover some of it.
I have my serial number safe and sound but god only knows where the game went. So the question is: do I have to re-buy the game again? I only want the download as I'm sure I'll find the damn thing someday and I've got a lot of free time over the holidays to start over.
Any and all help is appreciated.
Merry Christmas to all
Greg
Why not contact the help desk for a re-download?

As for moving the game files (the folder) from one computer to another - yes you can do this but unless you register the game by changing your registry (which you should backup before) then it won't work properly. I've never done this and am unsure even if it would work.

If you have the exe, then you should be able to install via a thumb drive. What error messages are you receiving? Are you installing as Administrator? etc ?
greg_slith

Post by greg_slith »

I get "Fatal Error 200"

I'm going to try the help desk.
greg_slith

Post by greg_slith »

So much for the help desk, it won't let me type in the description box. Bah, humbug.
greg_slith

Post by greg_slith »

I guess $52 is a small price to pay for YEARS of game play. [:)]
I've been a pretty good boy this year[8|] so what the heck.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

I guess $52 is a small price to pay for YEARS of game play. [:)]
I've been a pretty good boy this year[8|] so what the heck.

I have the CD too. I thought all CD buys got you a digitral download as well. I d/led the game the day I bought it; the CD got here ten days later.I fyou have a valid serial you might try customer support and see if the current digital fulfilment house (not Digital River anymore) can verify it and let you d/l a digital copy.
The Moose
greg_slith

Post by greg_slith »

It was digital river for me. I guess I'll have a nice fresh install on my nice fresh computer.
The frustrating thing is I can find every game I've bought for the last ten years but not this one. [:@]. Even the ones I wish I hadn't bought[:'(].
I expect it will fall on my head any minute now.
The invasion of Japan has been postponed for another year, or two, or more. With my luck I'll get to the same point again and WiTP 2 will come out[:D]

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”