"Division by Zero" at Start-up

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderator: MOD_EIA

Don7x

"Division by Zero" at Start-up

Post by Don7x »

I'm attempting to run the newest version of EiA off of a brand new installation of the game on a Windows Vista 64-bit system.

Immediately as the intro movie attempts to play, dozens and dozens of dialogue boxes pop open proclaiming a "Division by Zero" error.

How do I fix this issue?
Don7x

RE: "Division by Zero" at Start-up

Post by Don7x »

Fixed.

Had to revert Vista's font scaling back to 96 DPI for EiA to work properly. Although my Window's system fonts are somewhat small now, at least EiA now runs as it should.
La Provence

Post by La Provence »

You use Vista !!!!!!

Condolences...,[;)]

I used it only one month. No more. My god !

Salut et fraternité

La Provence
kelloffm

Post by kelloffm »

I am getting the same problem running on WINDOWS 7. How do I fix?
Mitch
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

In Windows 7:

Click with your right mouse button in a clear area of your desktop. Select "Screen Resolution":

Press "Text and other items larger or smaller":

Tick "Smaller - 100%":

juv95hrn

Post by juv95hrn »

I'm afraid changing this setting to "Smaller" did not fix the issue for me. Any other suggestions?

Windows7 with v10807.

Do you have to set screen resolution to a certain setting or should the game be able to change this on its own?
"Yes, I am the henchman of the Devil but my services are primarily ceremonial..."
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

Try using the "Set custom text size" feature?

Attachments
DPI.jpg
DPI.jpg (128.27 KiB) Viewed 245 times
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
juv95hrn

Post by juv95hrn »

Well I have the same settings as you (100%, 96pixels and windows xp style checked and still I get the Divisions by Zero error. Might a reinstall help?

EDIT:

I tried different screen resolutions and that did not help.

EDIT 2:

I uninstalled and tried with only the 1.05.03 version without any patch and the error was the same. I am running win7 *64-bits system*. Apparantly the problem has been in the game since longer then the last patch.

EDIT 3:

And just to make sure I installed the game with the 1.08.04 patch just to confirm I get the same error again and I did.

EDIT 4:

I'm not sure this might be a clue. I tried running the game under previous versions of windows from the control panel/programs. When I try win XP the starting video actually starts and plays. The "Division Zero" error still appears and crashes the game but the result is somewhat different. Maybe this is a clue?
"Yes, I am the henchman of the Devil but my services are primarily ceremonial..."
juv95hrn

Post by juv95hrn »

According to the Matrix Helpdesk the problem is with ASUS laptops:

"Hi juv95hrn,

What's causing your issue is your System DPI setting (which is set for 120DPI) and not the User DPI setting. The problem is that we haven't ever been able to change that value. This is the third case, that I've noticed, with the same issue. All the three cases the players had Asus laptops. Pehraps it's related with some specific setting, driver or 3rd party program which ships with some Asus models, but we are not sure of course. Unless my other colleague knows any workaround, I'm afraid we woun't be able to help you.

Kind Regards,

The Slitherine Group"

I will post more on ASUS forums to learn how to change the system DPI settings.

EDIT:

I changed this:

"a. Open the Start Menu, then type regedit in the search box and press enter.
b. If prompted by UAC, then click on Yes.
c. In regedit, navigate to the location below:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontDPI
d. In the right pane, right click on LogPixels and click on Modify.
e. In the Modify window, select (dot) Decimal, then type in the DPI setting that you want (96 in this case) and click on OK."

But it didn't help.
NeverMan

Post by NeverMan »

It's not your laptop or ASUS, it's the game. Basically they have no clue and are "passing the buck", sucks to be you bro, sorry for your loss.
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

Obviously the game is running ok for most under Windows 7 and Matrix has acknowledged a specific problem with some Asus models.

uv95hrn, please let us know if you manage to resolve this with Asus or find a work-around?
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer

Return to “Tech Support”