Hasn't this game out lived it's time?

Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog is the first new release (not a re-make of a previous games) in years in the critically acclaimed Close Combat series. It details the desperate German counter-attack at Mortain, the last chance of the Wehrmacht to stave off defeat in Normandy. Can you match the tenacity of the American defenders of Hill 314? Or can you succeed where the Panzers failed, driving through to the sea and changing history? Improved 32-bit graphics and the ability to control more squads than ever bring the Close Combat engine to a new level.
Sapa

RE: Hasn't this game out lived it's time?

Post by Sapa »

He he [:)] You are "Mad"[&o]
mooxe

Post by mooxe »

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

Close Combat is still one of our most popular games in terms of hours played and sales so the stats seem to be against this. This is the first game in 10 years based on completely new content. UP until now all the releases were reworkings of the original games as this is all we were allowed to do. Now that we own the brand completely we are able to do anything we like. There will be a lot more to come on Close Combat!

I am curious. How are you measuring hours played? I think I should go read the small print in the user license.........
Close Combat Series

CCS on Youtube

Join Discord for tech support and online games.
SapperAstro_MatrixForum

Post by SapperAstro_MatrixForum »

Online server for the lobby play I would imagine.
Stwa

Post by Stwa »

... OR, the CC games are SPYWARE! [:D]
Reed

Post by Reed »

After 10 years....
if the AI is weak, It's not necessary to continue the serie.
The fans wait for you on this subject.
thx
mooxe

Post by mooxe »

ORIGINAL: Stwa

... OR, the CC games are SPYWARE! [:D]

Well that was my very first thought.

Either people are playing at BHQ which is very unlikely, or these redux versions send info back to Matrix or he just made that fact up. I wonder which one it is?
Close Combat Series

CCS on Youtube

Join Discord for tech support and online games.
SapperAstro_MatrixForum

Post by SapperAstro_MatrixForum »

Matrix do have some clout these days. They can even slip past some of the best firewalls in the business without a murmur...

My hat off to you, good sirs...
inquisiteur

Post by inquisiteur »

The only grief I hold against matrixgames is that the multiplayer community is fragmented given that (evidently) you cannot play games with somone having purchased an older edition or another chapter of the game. So we end up with a few players online instead of hundreds when looking to play online.

However I am going to buy this game just to support further its development (and new chapters) and to say thank you for keeping this wonderful franchise alive. In my opinion Close combat is by far the best tactical game of its genre.
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

We are not tracking stats - this is based on anecdotal evidence. We can see the traffic in the forums and the number of sales and its clearly a very very popular series of games. The reason the multiplayer systems are not compatible is that each version of Close Combat is a different game. They are not data disks sharing a common code base. Going forwards we will be moving to Unity and there is no way that the new game could be made compatible with the current game. This is a continual problem of direct head to head connect real time games. You can have 100 people a day logging in to the server but if they don't happen to be online at the time someone else is there it looks dead and they move on. Unless you have a community of thousands of active online players its very hard to get the critical mass to means there is always a game to join.

With Panthers in the Fog we've tried to address this with the in game forum. This is a part of the Slitherine forum that can be seen in game as well as on the website. It means you can post messages and read them while in the game or on the forum. The aim is to give people a way to set up matches and make the community feel more alive. We're always looking for other ways to make real time game communities work better so if you have ideas let us know.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

I thank you guys for keeping these game system and series going.  I think overall you have done a excellent job with it(needs remove fog button).  Some times new is NOT better, some times.  Looking forward to more titles with this game system.[;)]
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
STIENER

Post by STIENER »

I too was a little worried about the 3D engine. I'm glad to hear it will still be a top down view [:)] thanks matrix. A 3D engine like COH doesn't interest me at all and I would also stop buying the CC games at that point.
Reboot

Post by Reboot »

61 years old, been wargaming for 40+ years, and CC since CC2 was released
when there is something better than CC to simulate WWII armored warfare then I'll play it

hey mooxe, trolling in your own troll hole not enough for you?
CCNUT
thesock

Post by thesock »

I'm 56 with 10 years in the Infantry behind me, and more books on WW2 than cupboards to keep them in.
Most of my cc years have been spent playing my brother at campaigns. Playing against the ia in comparison is pointless, also I don't get any joy from single battles. A good regular game partner makes all the difference.
But the greatest thing about cc is being able to go into the data files and change things. Add soldiers, reduce blast, speed fire rates, what you can do is almost endless.
Long live cc.
Rake

Post by Rake »

I'd still be playing the original CC if I had a computer that would run it. CC2 (ABTF) was the best of the series, but they seemed to drift downhill after that. I'm hoping that PitF will change that "progression", now that I've found out how to get rid of the fog...
Reboot

Post by Reboot »

sheesh......this reminds me of the joke about removing all the harmful ingredients from a fine single malt - you get water

the fog in PITF is like blowing bridges in ABTF - a new feature that adds challenge to the game
we got fog, towing guns, mounting troops on vehicles, timed targeting on mortars, and more in PITF
and you piss n moan like an ASVAB waiver encountering the "fog" of war for the first time

......and I'd still be playing Avalon Hill games with a f*cking dice if I was in retrograde
CCNUT
mbar

Post by mbar »

I admit I was hesitant buying PitF considering I have CC games and I thought the fog feature might bug me. But it isn't as frustrating as I thought it would be other than "Hey it's foggy" The 32 bit color does make a difference and makes the screen clear to see. Does that make any sense?
SabotTX

Post by SabotTX »

I really like PitF and the 32 bit upgrade. IMHO... it's worth the price.

A side note... Any idea if the future will include the Pacific? I know the majority like the ETO but... maybe a pacific add-on or the like to a title instead of a pacific standalone.... ?
Shoot'em until they burn...
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

We've talked about doing a Pacific theater game, and it is something I'd like to do.  It would have to be something we could spend a fair bit of time on though, since the Pacific fighting was typically very different in character, and scale, from the European theater.  Jungles. Tunnels. Some tweaks to morale mechanics. That sort of thing.

MAD JACK 109

Post by MAD JACK 109 »

Now if its a pacific game your thinking about, it has to be Guadalcanal!
STIENER

Post by STIENER »

Russian front.......Kursk [:)] or a part of that Battle & campagn [:)]

Return to “Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog”