Sirian's EVE Component Mod (new version 1.3) Universe compatible

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Sirian

Sirian's EVE Component Mod (new version 1.3) Universe compatible

Post by Sirian »

Hello!

Here comes my second mod, this time its the components. I used EVE icons to replace most of the components, firswt I wanted to increase the size of the icons to 64x64 pixels and have them transparent, everything worked fine until I actually researched something. The icons get enlarged inthe messagebox and so ruin everything. So back to 32x32 pixels. After some experimenting I discarded the idea of transparent icons and put a grey background in. This way they look far better than transparent, so I kept them.

V1.3: Corrected the filesnames of several copmponents that got different filenames in Universe. Added spare icons for new components to be introduced by modders.

V1.2: Added icons for new components introduced in the Shadows expansion. In the procedd changed some color coding and swapped some icons for existing components.

V1.1: This is a refinesd version based on my experiences while using the mod in actual games. I shuffled a few icons around, mainly beam weapons, as I didn't like the titan beam icon as titan beam icon. I also changed some color coding to make is more intuitive. Also added help files using the modded icons. (Oh I do love my helpfile compiler...)

Components are color coded where applicable:

Quality: Grey - Green - Blue - Purple. Sone items have distinct tiers, like armor or troop compartments. These tiers are color coded where possible. If only two tiers exist they are green - blue, three tiers are green - blue - purple and four tiers add a grey as least quality color.

Fleet components: components that boost nearby ships have a yellow background

Race exclusive items have a cyan background

Reactors: red background: uses hydrogen, purple background: uses Caslon

Shields, Engines and Hyperdrives have a different color coding: the basic varaint is grey (or blueish gray in case of the shields) Green is efficient, Red is fast (or fast recharging) and purple is the final super-technology.

Superweapons have a bright orange background, except for the Superlaser which has... oh well, you will recognize it!

Installing the mod: extract the contents of the zip file into the Distant Worlds/images/ui/components directory. Do not forget to backup any original contents there first!

All versions and the helpfiles can be downloaded here: Sirian's EVE Component mod

Should anyone want to include this mod in a mod compilation, you are allowed to do so, just do not alter the icons (except for renaming the files) and include my name in the credits somewhere. I would also like to be informed on such an occasion by forum PM.

Have fun!
Sirian
Attachments
EVE Components v1.3.zip
(493.66 KiB) Downloaded 502 times
Sirian

RE: Sirian's EVE Component Mod

Post by Sirian »

Here is a preview. Sadly the preview does not do the icons justice, they are of far better quality. This has to do with resizing issues in the file browser.

Attachments
preview.jpg
preview.jpg (133.35 KiB) Viewed 1289 times
Tyrador

Post by Tyrador »

Some great work on display here, these icons are so cool! Much better than default![8D]

BTW. What about the super weapon icons?
Sirian

Post by Sirian »

Death Ray icons are 23 and 25. I fthere are more super weapons I have missed them. I must admit, I haven't played the game as much as I spend time modding. :-)
Ponicus

Post by Ponicus »

Awesome. Thanks for this mod. Enjoying this and your resource icon mod.
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

Nice piece of work; thank you!
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
Sirian

Post by Sirian »

Added version 1.1, see first post.
Igard

Post by Igard »

Really nice looking components here. The colour coding is a great touch!
Buio

Post by Buio »

Very nice update v1.1

Thanks a lot! [&o]
AstroCat

Post by AstroCat »

Was thinking of using this but I noticed the game goes to Component_195.bmp but this mod stops at Component_113.bmp. Any issues? Thanks.
I7-6700K@4.5GHz/Asus MAXIMUS VIII FORMULA/EVGA GTX 1080SC/Corsair LPX 16GB/Corsair 600Q/Corsair RM750i/Acer XB270H 27"/BenQ G2400W 24"/SOUND BLASTER ZX/Samsung 850 Pro x2/Samsung 950 Pro x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR3: Pro-TrackClip Pro/Oculus CV
Sirian

Post by Sirian »

I noticed the same and wondered why there were so many more icons in the directory than are apparently used in game. I modded every icon I where could identify a component in game, the others seem to be unused duplicates. I didn't include these in the mod as they are essentially unmodded.

I have not tested my mod with Shadows, in fact I haven't even installed Shadows yet - real life is keeping me extremely busy. There are several new components in Shadows, while I have ideas and sorted through my EVE icon library I havent had time to create icons themselves.

Greetings,
Sirian
AstroCat

Post by AstroCat »

No worries, if you get a chance to check out Shadows and do a mod update I'll definitely check it out. [:)]
I7-6700K@4.5GHz/Asus MAXIMUS VIII FORMULA/EVGA GTX 1080SC/Corsair LPX 16GB/Corsair 600Q/Corsair RM750i/Acer XB270H 27"/BenQ G2400W 24"/SOUND BLASTER ZX/Samsung 850 Pro x2/Samsung 950 Pro x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR3: Pro-TrackClip Pro/Oculus CV
Sirian

Post by Sirian »

Shadows icons added (see 1st post)
Buio

Post by Buio »

Thanks for the update!
AstroCat

Post by AstroCat »

Hmmm v1.2 only goes up to component_129.bmp but the game goes up to Component_195.bmp. Is that correct or are all those unmodded ones not used by the game? Thanks.
Sirian

Post by Sirian »

The icons from #130-195 seem to be unused. I could'nt find any place in DW where these are displayed, so I left them unchanged.
AstroCat

Post by AstroCat »

Ok, cool that's what I thought. Thanks for the info.
AstroCat

Post by AstroCat »

I added the images to the 4 missing help files.

Component_AssaultPod
Component_GravityAreaWeapon
Component_GravityBeamWeapon
Component_TractorBeam

I also noticed Component_PointDefenseWeapon was missing. So I've now added that one too.

You can double check to make I got them right.
Attachments
Component_help_v1.2.zip
(59.7 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
Sirian

Post by Sirian »

These look good, AstroCat, thanks a bunch! Never noticed that point defense was missing, guess I don't open the Galactopedia too often. :-)

Regards, Sirian
Tcby

Post by Tcby »

For some reason this mod is not compatible with Universe. Several components are showing the wrong icon. Perhaps the component naming order was changed. I'm trying to figure out what was changed in order to manually fix the mod, but it's slow work. Any chance of an update from Sirian? ( [&o] )

Return to “Design and Modding”