Commands not being followed

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_ScourgeofWar

jardail

Commands not being followed

Post by jardail »

Playing a sandbox game as corps commander.

Gave the following order to 2 different artillery commanders at different times and neither one of them followed the orders.

To: Capt James Harrington:

Please execute the following order

Move to my left flank

(also tried varying the orders with form your unit into line and unlimber artillery)

The courier gets there but not one soul moves.

Is this broken? Seems that when I use the buttons, EVERYONE moves, but giving courier commands to artillery units is pretty useless unless I am missing something.
LittlePowell_NSD

RE: Commands not being followed

Post by LittlePowell_NSD »

Hi Leatherneck. I just tried re-creating this issue and am getting the same thing. I thought for sure it was because you are not giving them a formation, but that didn't help me either.

Let me pass this on to one our courier experts (sorry I don't play with them much) and I'll get back to you.
NSD Map/Scenario Lead
LittlePowell_NSD

It looks like you were already able to get help at the NSD board.
NSD Map/Scenario Lead
jardail

Post by jardail »

Little Powell

I got answers on the NSD board, but nothing ever worked. It still doesn't using couriers. I don't know if I'm doing something completely wrong, but I have tried ever conceivable option that has been listed on the NSB boards to get my battery commanders to do what I tell them to do. The ONLY thing that I do that will get them to position themselves where I want them, is to TC and then FORCE them to move there.

Anything else I tell them to do is briefly followed (i.e. the commander begins to move, the battery begins to limber) and then suddenly the commanders movement arrow will go right back behind the battery and the cannons will again unlimber and stay in place.

I have tried please execute this order
I have tried setting and resetting the time/date on the order
I have given detailed movement orders including limber, unlimber, change facing, change formation etc.. all in the same order.

NOTHING makes any difference.

Do you or anyone else have any idea what needs to be added to this? I like the courier system and it works good for infantry, but for the life of me I cannot figure out what the secret key is to get the confounded artillery commanders to do as they are ordered. Maybe shoot 'em?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this.
LittlePowell_NSD

Yes, what you describe is a classic example of the battery commanders ignoring your orders because they have targets in range. As soon as a target comes in their LOS, they are going to want to stop and unlimber.

This has been an issue for a while now and it is on the to-do list to address. The only sure way to get an arty commander to obey orders is to TC them.
NSD Map/Scenario Lead
jardail

Post by jardail »

Ok, well that makes sense. At least it's not just me :)

Thanks for your very quick response!!
kkomisarcik

Post by kkomisarcik »

Was the first command in your orders, "No Orders"?
If so, then in my experience, if the battery begins to move to the location you give it but then stops and returns to its old position, the battery commander has decided that his current position is a far better place for his guns than the one you have selected. I have learned this the hard way by TCing the commander and bringing his guns to the place I wanted them. They then spend most of their time moving around, tiring out, trying to find a clear field of fire to some target.
Secession is futile.
jardail

Post by jardail »

I have used the "No Orders" option, but only when I have units in place where I want them. I sent a "no orders" order to the artillery commander only once during these experiments, merely to see if sending that would clear the que so to speak, and then immediately followed up that order with a detailed movement order. They reacted the same way they did in all of the other instances.
kkomisarcik

Post by kkomisarcik »

That may be the problem then. To move the arty create one courier message with the following orders.
1. No Orders. (This clears his stance which is normally Hold at all costs)
2. Move to. (I usually use to my rear center)
3. Face a certain direction. (optional, may not be needed)
4. Change formation.
5. Use roads. (usually not needed)

These all go into one order, not separate ones.
Secession is futile.
jardail

Post by jardail »

I'll give that a try and see what happens. I've yet to use the no orders option in anything other than an individual message.
kkomisarcik

Post by kkomisarcik »

I only use the "No orders" stance with the artillery. For the infantry and cavalry I use one of the others.
Secession is futile.
jardail

Post by jardail »

Well the commander still turned back and went back to his original position, but it does seem as if the cannons themselves are now moving to a position to the rear of my main commander. we'll see if they move all the way or turn and go back.
jardail

Post by jardail »

Seems that "no orders" thing actually works. Is it me or am I just stupid, that perhaps a patch needs to be made that when you give a commander an order, it overrides what he's currently doing in order to execute the commands he has been given. I understand a commander acting in violation of his orders due to a local situation, but when there is no earthly reason for him to ignore said order, it should not be an option.
kkomisarcik

Post by kkomisarcik »

The problem is that the artillery commander gives himself the "hold at all costs" stance. It's the only unit that does so. That is probably so the guns don't go charging into the front line. For infantry and cavalry, the player tells the unit to attack, defend, etc. The "No orders" just changes the stance so the guns don't think they need to protect the ground they are on to the last man.
Secession is futile.
jardail

Post by jardail »

ok, that makes sense, good sense actually.

Return to “Tech Support”