Holiday Savings Comes to Strategy Gamers!

Gamers can find out here about the latest happenings from Matrix and its partners.

Moderator: MOD_PressReleases

junk2drive

RE: Holiday Savings Comes to Strategy Gamers!

Post by junk2drive »

Enjoy!
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
jaxpac

Post by jaxpac »

I was really hoping forge of freedom would be sold for a more reasonable price. I still cannot pay over $30 for such an old game. Even $20 is pushing it at this point. But I'm patient and I can wait. Someday they will want my money I'm sure, and the game will still be as fun whether now or years in the future.

And I don't mind the one day sales at all. Got Making History 2 and never would have bought it otherwise. The price on this site is insane compared to the steam sale, but that's more money for matrix than they would have had if not for the sale. Even if it's only minimal profit for them, I cannot spend top end prices for these games. So I hope they benefit somewhat.

I just chime in to let them know there are still some people out there who are not pirating their games but who are also still not going to pay inflated prices. So there is money to be had from me for these old games once the prices come down to normal levels. I know they must think most people just pirate the game if they can't afford it, but there are still some patient people out there like myself.
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

ORIGINAL: jaxpac

I was really hoping forge of freedom would be sold for a more reasonable price. I still cannot pay over $30 for such an old game. Even $20 is pushing it at this point. But I'm patient and I can wait. Someday they will want my money I'm sure, and the game will still be as fun whether now or years in the future.
You just gave them the reason never to reduce price[:D]
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

The prices are not inflated - they are realistic if you want these types of games. The economics of the mass markets gaming industry don't apply at all and I'm sorry if that is what you expect but it is never going to happen. We have more data than anyone in the world on this niche so please don't tell us you know better and we'd sell 10 times as many games at half the price :) We wouldn't! We'd just sell a few more games and generate less overall revenue and the devs would not be able to live.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
jaxpac

Post by jaxpac »

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

The prices are not inflated - they are realistic if you want these types of games. The economics of the mass markets gaming industry don't apply at all and I'm sorry if that is what you expect but it is never going to happen. We have more data than anyone in the world on this niche so please don't tell us you know better and we'd sell 10 times as many games at half the price :) We wouldn't! We'd just sell a few more games and generate less overall revenue and the devs would not be able to live.

I was only telling you about my situation, just one person, not comparable to any "data" you already have. And I'm talking about a game from 7 or 8 years ago. I know Matrix doesn't price their games like other PC games, but the same logic applies where over time the price of the game is likely to drop. Maybe slower than any other games but I know prices get reduced eventually if nobody is buying the game anymore. I am saying I am content to keep waiting and will probably eventually buy the game when the price is lower. I simply can't afford to pay that much for a game I am not sure I will play a lot. You can't blame pepole for wanting more games for less money [:D]
jaxpac

Post by jaxpac »

And since I'm looking at this thread already and have no better place to ask and it's a quick question...

For the games I do buy, can you download a game and have it installed on two different PCs at the same time? I've bought games before but I forget how the download works.
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

Yes you can. But for multiplayer you must have more than one license.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
Rodia

Post by Rodia »

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

But for multiplayer you must have more than one license.

And for LAN play?

I'm thinking in Conquest of the Aegean - looks like it could be fun in LAN.
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

Don't know for sure but in general you need two different serial number installs to play against each other from different computers. Obviously a game that features hotseat does not because it is on one computer.
Fallschirmjager

Post by Fallschirmjager »

I am quite happy with Close Combat Last Stand at Arnhem. In January I might pick up the battle of the Bulge and the Normandy Close Combat.
Good memories flooded back when playing but enough was different to warrant the purchase.

And I LOVE the new weapon sounds. The MG-42 and German 20mm quad AA gun sound particularly menacing. And the Lee Enfield Mk IV has a terrificly powerful crack.
waltshumate

Post by waltshumate »

Is this sale still on I just tried to buy a download copy of Operational art of war and there was no sign of a discount.
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

The discounts are already applied so you wont see anything in addition to the lower price than in the list above. Sale runs till January!
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
blastpop

Post by blastpop »

I have to agree with jaxpac regarding prices. I respect the fact Matrix/Slitherine/Ageod are in business to make money and don't want to join the "slushpack" mentality. Having said that, Many items on sale I may have been interested in at one time, that interest has moved on to other things. Yet at the right price I might reconsider some, that at this point I would not even purchase at the existing sale price. Among other software download sites, their sales have prices low enough that I pick up items of opportunity. The key is I would not have purchased them for full or 30% off under any circumstance. The point is they are collecting dollars from me and others that they would not have seen.

As a suggestion- and you get what you pay for... [:)] Older games - use whatever convenient definition to define that term- either lower the every day price or increase the sale discount or both. I have not picked up "Uncommon Valor" as an example in the last five years of sales, I am unlikely to pick it up now, unless it I am offered a deal I can't refuse...
Mark
bairdlander2

Post by bairdlander2 »

I would be more interested in patches for some older titles 4-5 years old that I purchased on release.There are a lot of good games that get patched a few months after release then nothing at all.What is the reasoning behind this?Lack of sales?Forum interest?I would like to know please.New titles keep being released when there are plenty already that could use a good patch,maybe some improved ui or graphics or scenarios.
bairdlander2

Post by bairdlander2 »

Why is Battles for Normandy listed at full price on cheackout?No discount?
kentcol

Post by kentcol »

I just ordered the downloads for WITP AE and GG Eagle Day Bombing the Reich and was charged full price. What happened to the sale????????????
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

Should have been 52.99 and 32.99 what did your invoice show?
bairdlander2

Post by bairdlander2 »

The price at cheack out was full price for Battles in Normandy,so I bought Combat Mission Normandy instead[:D]Im not paying $32 for an 8 year old game.
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

ORIGINAL: bairdlander

The price at cheack out was full price for Battles in Normandy,so I bought Combat Mission Normandy instead[:D]Im not paying $32 for an 8 year old game.

US $49.99 is regular price. $32 is the sale price.
kentcol

Post by kentcol »

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

Should have been 52.99 and 32.99 what did your invoice show?

Sorry :) That was correct, I was looking at the wrong column. Thanks for the quick reply.

Return to “Press Releases, News and Events from Matrix”