v1.12 New Commands?

This exciting new release is a faithful adaptation of the renowned Conflict of Heroes board game that won the Origins Historical Game of the Year, Charles Roberts Wargame of the Year and the James F. Dunnigan Design Elegance Award, as well as many others!

Designed and developed in cooperation with Uwe Eickert, the original designer of Conflict of Heroes, and Western Civlization Software, the award-winning computer wargame studio, no effort has been spared to bring the outstanding Conflict of Heroes gameplay to the computer. Conflict of Heroes includes an AI opponent as well as full multiplayer support with an integrated forum and game lobby. To remain true to the core gameplay of the board game, the PC version is designed to be fun, fast and easy to play, though hard to master. The game design is also historically accurate and teaches and rewards platoon and company-level combined arms tactics without overwhelming the player with rules.

Moderator: MOD_WestCiv

IronFist00

v1.12 New Commands?

Post by IronFist00 »

The two new buttons added in Beta Patch v1.12 are Command Orders and CAP Action. I wanted to confirm I am using them correctly:

If I'm in the middle of a unit's activation, I can press either one to interrupt that without it being marked spent?

With Command Orders, I can use that for Opportunity Fire or to Play a Card before returning to the activated unit's turn?

With CAP Action, I choose another unit that isn't the activated one (spent or fresh), and I can issue it commands which will deduct CAPs from my total as I go? Meaning as long as I have CAPS available, I can continue issuing orders?

Did I miss anything?

Attachments
NewCommands.jpg
NewCommands.jpg (17.05 KiB) Viewed 61 times
ericbabe

RE: v1.12 New Commands?

Post by ericbabe »

That's basically right. I'll probably rename "Command Order" to "Opportunity Action."

With the CAP Orders, you still only get one action on your turn, but it uses CAPs instead of APs (as you describe) and doesn't finish the activation of your currently moving unit.

IronFist00

Post by IronFist00 »

Eric, thanks for the response. For what it's worth, I think renaming the button from "Command Order" to "Opportunity Action" is a good idea.

Thanks again for your (and the team's) dedication to making Classic AP mode work.
IronFist00

Post by IronFist00 »

Eric I found this rules summary on Academy Games' website. If you want to keep the new buttons in v1.12 Classic AP mode consistent with what their actions represent in the boardgame, they would be named "Opportunity Action" and "Command (CAP) Action."

I know you already mentioned possibly renaming Command Action to Opportunity Action but I was unsure if you wanted an exact match.

Attachments
Capture.jpg
Capture.jpg (152.63 KiB) Viewed 61 times
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

I was confused by the new "Stall" button but it looks like it only matters if you play Classic APs. If correct, why display the button when playing Persistent AP?

Sorry to butt in. I don't see the new buttons above when playing Persistent.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
IronFist00

Post by IronFist00 »

Hi junk2drive, no butting in - the more responses the better, I always say. :)

The ability to "Stall" would only be useful in Classic AP mode (the board game rules) since its purpose (as stated in my screen capture) is to pass without having to mark the currently activated unit spent or risking the end of the round (by your opponent also passing on their turn). In Persistent AP mode, the first case would not really be an issue since you can click on and off different units without them being marked spent. However you might still want to be able to "Stall" without risking the end of a round.

Therefore maybe the plan is to enable it in both modes and it just hasn't been implemented yet? That's the only reason why I can see having it grayed out in Persistent AP mode as opposed to removing it like the Command Orders and CAP Action buttons.

*Edit* - I realized I never answered your other statement, "I don't see the new buttons above when playing Persistent." There definitely wouldn't be a need for Opportunity Fire (Command Action button) in Persistent AP mode since it would never be needed with that play mechanic. Command (CAPS) Action (CAP Action button) also wouldn't be needed for the same reason, i.e. you can't spend a unit by clicking off it.
e_barkmann

Post by e_barkmann »

Dare I muse - does the ai use any of the Classic AP options against a human opponent in a Classic Mode game, or does it only understand persistent at this point in time? I suppose I should download the update and give it a test :)

cheers
Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo
IronFist00

Post by IronFist00 »

Chris based on my experience with v1.12 over the last week, the AI can't handle Classic AP mode. It doesn't "understand" Opportunity Fire so it constantly spends (exhausts) units trying to play Classic AP mode like Persistent AP mode.

I can't see Western Civilization fixing this in a patch (although I could be wrong). However I hope they are planning on fixing this in CoH: Storms of Steel. Eric?

Return to “Conflict of Heroes Series”