Question on Tiller Games

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Yogi the Great

Question on Tiller Games

Post by Yogi the Great »

When Tiller left HPS to have his own Software company, all the Tiller Games that were released through HPS stayed there and updates continued. One such game Campaign 1776 for example has gone through update 1.09 at HPS.

I was surprised when I went to Tiller Software the other day that Campaign 1776 was there and for his usual price of $39.95. Below is a description from the product page:

"This release of Campaign 1776 is version 1.10 and includes all changes from the original release through update 1.09. See the Changes File Preview below for more detail. Note: this version of Campaign 1776 is fully compatible with version 1.09 released by HPS Simulations. Scenarios and battle files for the two versions are compatible for all purposes including PBEM and Internet play."

My question is does it seem likely that Tillers agreement when he left HPS is ending and that he plans to start selling the games himself now as new updates are released?

HPS still sells 1776 and update is 1.09. It appears that 1.10 is only through Tiller and perhaps you have to buy a new game to get it?
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
Josh

RE: Question on Tiller Games

Post by Josh »

Don't have the game, but I don't think so. Seems to me you just have to get your patches from mr Tiller himself instead of HPS that's all.
Yogi the Great

Post by Yogi the Great »

ORIGINAL: Josh

Don't have the game, but I don't think so. Seems to me you just have to get your patches from mr Tiller himself instead of HPS that's all.

That wouldn't be bad, but his site says Campaign 1776 version 1.10 is $39.95. It is not offered as a patch in the update sections
redcoat

Post by redcoat »

The 'updates' page on John Tiller's site (Link) states "Updates for John Tiller Software wargames published by HPS Simulations can be found at the HPS Simulations website." It then provides links to the downloads on the HPS site. The latest update for 1776 on the HPS site is version 1.09. Strange. Perhaps they've forgotten to add version 1.10 to the HPS site? Or maybe the latest version is 1.09 rather than 1.10.
“‘Who controls the past,’ ran the Party slogan, ‘controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.’”

George Orwell, 1984
Yogi the Great

Post by Yogi the Great »

But before now 1776 was not sold on the Tiller site only HPS. Plus it doesn't explain Tiller putting in that 1.10 is fully compatabile with 1.09. I guess if we see other games appearing that were HPS before on the Tiller site that it may be indication of Tiller being able to market "new versions" of the games again. Also whether HPS is allowed to patch with the latest updates.
wodin

Post by wodin »

Yogi..if Tiller stops his customers who purchased from HPS from updating he will cause alot of bad feeling.

I can ask Scott about it if you want me too?
Yogi the Great

Post by Yogi the Great »

ORIGINAL: wodin

Yogi..if Tiller stops his customers who purchased from HPS from updating he will cause alot of bad feeling.

I can ask Scott about it if you want me too?

It might be nice to know. I currently own about 17 of the Tiller HPS games. I update them as the new updates come out, but this is the first time one of the old games has appeared on Tiller Software. I wonder if the other titles will slowly be added and just how that will affect HPS. I have not yet purchased a game from Tiller Software as I'm still old fashioned and like hard copies. At Matrix I choose the Download and had copy option. I certainly take the download, but look forward to the hard copy arriving later.

edit: I'm aware there are links on Tiller software to HPS but being able to actually purchase directly from Tiller is new.
redcoat

Post by redcoat »

Someone has just raised this issue over at the Wargamer. Link.
“‘Who controls the past,’ ran the Party slogan, ‘controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.’”

George Orwell, 1984
wodin

Post by wodin »

I've sent Scott an email ..wait and see..will tell you his reply.
wodin

Post by wodin »

Scott isn't aware of any issues..as far as he is concerned it's all as normal..so I explained abit more..see what he says.

J
vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

I have another Tiller question. Does the squad battle game "Few and the proud" run on win7?
Thanks
wodin

Post by wodin »

Yes they all do mate..
vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

Thanks wodin, I was confused because, on their site the requirements don't list win7, and they got that warning to win vista and 7 users that made me wonder. Proud and few is one of the older squad battles and I wanted to make sure. Thanks again.
Rtwfreak

Post by Rtwfreak »

I can vouch for Vista 64 too working with Squad Battles games.
RyanCrierie

Post by RyanCrierie »

I can vouch that Sealion '40 sold through JTS is different enough that none none of the MapMods made for the HPS Sealion '40 work, nor can you use the older style map graphics from prior games (which I prefer over the muddy mess v2.0 is) without some severe photoshoppery.

Return to “General Discussion”