What techs do you start off with?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Antmf_slith

What techs do you start off with?

Post by Antmf_slith »

I normally play human and wanted to know what you guys start with when it comes to research? I know it depends on what you want to do I guess but I am trying to get a general idea because there are so many techs I get lost on what to do. Thanks guys...
Bingeling

RE: What techs do you start off with?

Post by Bingeling »

There are lots of nice tech, but very early I would:

Weapons: First the second weapon, which is a huge early game buff to damage if you run AI designs, at least. Then improve the primary and secondary, and try grab star fighters quite early. Notice that tactical interceptors unlock carriers, but that is not very early. There is not so much competition in this tab. Two weapons, fighters of all kinds, point defenses, and armor when it feels cheap. Ion weapons don't hurt after a while either.

Energy and Construction: The easy way is a beeline for the Shipyard wonder in Accelerated Construction. Ignoring that, ship size is still my first, and generally of high priority. Apart from that I tend to spread wide and do level by level, but of course pick my Shield, Hyper drive, Reactor, and Engine tech.

High Tech and Industrial: First a colony tech. Then maybe another one. More colony options are better. Apart from this, maybe look for wonders early, otherwise all is nice to have. Personally I got a soft spot for long range scanners and want those early, but not early enough to not grab a ship size or two.

Research points arrive faster and faster as you grow, and the early techs are very fast to research after a while. Deconstruction of alien ships and inherited pirates helps research the early techs you don't want.

And of course notice that to reach the late techs, you sometimes have to research multiple competing techs. But it is no need to research the techs you don't plan to use unless you are actively going for the next level.
Arcatus

Post by Arcatus »

Weapons:

First

Enchanced beam weapons
Tier 2 upgrade That gives a nice little buff on the early ships

Then
Phased beams
Tier 3 and a new weapon, I don't use the phaser cannon on any design. Maxos blaster still gets the job done at this stage.

Then
Phaser focusing
Tier 4 this, so a bit time-consuming at the start, but it is well worth it; because: The upgrades for phaser lance is at Tier 6 and 7. So my early designs remains (sortof) useful during the entire game.

After that I go with the flow of the game.

Energy:

Shields & engines.

High-Tech

Long range scanner then contruction wonder then research wonders then bigger ships.

Gareth_Bryne

Post by Gareth_Bryne »

Always the Bakuras Shipyard first. Unless I want a challenge. If DW had a multiplayer, that wonder would be banned.
"Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts," - Londo Mollari
feelotraveller

Post by feelotraveller »

It depends a bit on the Galaxy I am in but usually...

Missiles.  For loving Ardius lots, oh, and slugs of all kinds although they aren't as much of a problem.  Then I build a monster killer missile frigate.
Fighters.  For base protection.
Upgraded Maxos, for taking on enemy and pirates.
And then Torps, even though these will probably be my second weapon.
You need both basic torps and missiles eventually to get better bombers and point defense, respectively.
I'll vary if there is a pressing/or no need.  No monsters, missiles can wait.  Evil insects knocking at the door, grab enhanced beams first (...and might even follow up with torps).

I beeline for Bakuras.  And sometimes even go for the first upgrade to construction speed as well (plus this lets you have nice size 400 ships, in excess of what you need really).  Then I'll pick off anything I've managed to get tech bonuses for.  Any of the enhancements really since I want then all.  What I won't usually research are the hyperdrives. At least until I can't pick up any more from retiring alien ships. [;)]

Hi tech I'll make a run at Rusan.  Worth it if you can pick it up although most times it will pop at about the same time as Bakuras.  [:(]  Then I'll pick up anything I've already got partially completed from retiring alien ships.  After that it depends on the game situation.  Often colonisation tech's but sometimes I've got a large backlog already and will go instead for Casidor, particularly if I've found a lost colony where it will build/be of use.

But I'm largely an opportunist.  If my spies have a chance to steal something I won't research that.
MartialDoctor

Post by MartialDoctor »

For weapons, I always go enhanced beams first and then I, usually, go for torpedoes or missiles. And an upgrade in them as well. I then go for more advanced beam weapons... which vary depending on what I want.

For energy, I always go for shield upgrades followed by reactors. And then, usually, hyperdrive.

For high tech, I always, always go for either continental or march colonization. Colonization, in the beginning, is more important than anything else!

Funny, though, I pretty much ignored galactic wonders. I'm sure they are good but, as the AI is a too easy as of now, I found no reason to have them.
unclean

Post by unclean »

Practicing my necromancy here!

Weapons: With an aggressive race I always grab missiles, and then make a bunch of fast missile frigates set to standoff. Being able to destroy spaceports and weapons platforms without taking a scratch is just too good, plus it lets you grab bombard weapons quickly. With a few destroyers to soak up damage they tear through fleets too.

With defensive races it's blasters + torps if I'm getting attacked right away, otherwise railguns if I can get some engine tech in forst.tech.

Energy: Bakuras Shipyards, then engines, then shields. I usually put most of my research into this branch.

Hi Tech: Colonization techs + fuel storage, then the research wonder usually.
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

ORIGINAL: Arcatus
Energy:

Shields & engines.

You don't make a bee-line for Bakuras Shipyards?

High-Tech

Long range scanner then contruction wonder then research wonders then bigger ships.

Interesting... I don't think there's a construction wonder in the HT tree, nor ship size improvements.
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens
Arcatus

Post by Arcatus »

ORIGINAL: Kayoz

Energy:

Shields & engines.

You don't make a bee-line for Bakuras Shipyards?

High-Tech

Interesting... I don't think there's a construction wonder in the HT tree, nor ship size improvements.

Oh, yea, there is a great wonder the the HT tree;

It is just next to the "mixing of tech tree"... tech.

Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

ORIGINAL: Antmf

I normally play human and wanted to know what you guys start with when it comes to research? I know it depends on what you want to do I guess but I am trying to get a general idea because there are so many techs I get lost on what to do. Thanks guys...

HighTech & Industrial

Enhanced Research, Enhanced Commerce, Coordinated control (Research bonus and the last two increase your income)

Energy & Construction

Enhanced Construction, Accelerated Construction, Nuclear Supercharging, Quantum Exploitation, Component Prefabrication, Fast Mining, Large Scale Construction, Enhanced Energy Collection

Veapons (Has to be said Chekov style)

Energy Torpedo Veapons, Beam Veapons, Enhanced Beam Veapons, Enhanced Torpedoes, Phased Beams, High Energy Cohesion

Those are the ones I use as a base to work from, after the HighTech base projects are completed I would either move to get Long Range Scanners or if there are lots of suitable planets the swamp and continental projects. Construction depends on what I have available for resources that determines whats next and Veapons is a no brainer, Missiles are great for long range but your stuffed on short unless you design the build for both, best off just having beams and torpedoes, just make sure you keep an eye on the power level requirements for the beam and torpedo veapons and increase your reactor tech appropriately, then work on armor and fighters.

Darkspire

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”