CVN 80 Enterprise

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

MineSweeper

CVN 80 Enterprise

Post by MineSweeper »

That's right....read that CVN 80 will infact be named Enterprise when completed.....[&o]

koniu

RE: CVN 80 Enterprise

Post by koniu »

ORIGINAL: MineSweeper

That's right....read that CVN 80 will infact be named Enterprise when completed.....[&o]

That very good news. I do not think they have other chose that name it Enterprise.
I only hope they will commission it in 2025 as planed. But knowing live it can be also 2030.

"Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War"
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

What was the source?
The Moose
MineSweeper

Post by MineSweeper »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

What was the source?

http://www.defense.gov/releases/release ... seid=15708

Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

What was the source?

Thanks. Not unexpected, and a good move.
The Moose
SpitfireIX

Post by SpitfireIX »

What was the source?

[&o][&o][&o][&o]

I was somewhat concerned about whether this would happen because of the wrangling over the naming of two of the last Nimitz-class CVNs. CVN-76 was originally to have been named United States, but because Democrats and Republicans couldn't agree on whether to name CVN-75 Harry Truman or Ronald Reagan, the ship was renamed so that both men could be honored. Remarked one admiral, "The United States didn't have much of a constituency." [:(]

I supposed it's theoretically possible that something similar could occur in the case of CVN-80, but I'm guessing there would be a major push-back from the Navy if Congress tried to veto Enterprise.

They should have mentioned CV-6 in the press release, though, rather than just referring to the list of all the previous Enterprises.

edit: italics
"I know Japanese. He is very bad. And tricky. But we Americans too smart. We catch him and give him hell."

--Benny Sablan, crewman, USS Enterprise 12/7/41
gexmex

Post by gexmex »

by now wouldn't it be the Enterprise-I? Sorry, lame attempt at a joke!
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

GREAT! Gene Roddenberry was right. There will ALWAYS be a USS Enterprise.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Never understood why Wasp and Hornet never made it back as names. Could there be more perfect names for carriers? Heck, Ronald Reagan just does not strike a whole lot of fear. Well, maybe with democrats. Know what I mean? [;)]
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
rjopel

Post by rjopel »

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Never understood why Wasp and Hornet never made it back as names. Could there be more perfect names for carriers? Heck, Ronald Reagan just does not strike a whole lot of fear. Well, maybe with democrats. Know what I mean? [;)]

The USS Wasp is LHD-1. Hornet has not been reused.
Ryan Opel
MineSweeper

Post by MineSweeper »

IMO they should rid the names of politicians and stick with famous US battles @ Lexington, Saratoga and others.
USS Jimmy Carter SSN and George Bush CVN do not strike me well....

Keifer

Post by Keifer »

Those are the only 2 ships in the US Navy named after politicians that I actually approve of:

Jimmy Carter served on Submarines and George Bush flew from carriers in WWII.

Ronald Reagan, JFK, Stennis, Gerald Ford had nothing to do with carrier aviation.
Old School Midway Fanboy
jmalter

Post by jmalter »

although Gerald Ford was a low-ranking USNR officer, he was an instructor at a USN pre-flight school. he spent 18 months aboard CVL Monterey from its commissioning, & helped save the ship when fires broke out during the December '44 typhoon. then he was transferred to instruct at another pre-flight school. so mebbe he wasn't an aviator or a ship's captain, but he helped train aviators & served his ship well - any new Annapolis graduate might hope to match his record.

Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Perhaps it's becasue Wasp and Hornet were not exactly awe-inspiring ships in their original incarnations.
The Moose
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: jmalter

although Gerald Ford was a low-ranking USNR officer, he was an instructor at a USN pre-flight school. he spent 18 months aboard CVL Monterey from its commissioning, & helped save the ship when fires broke out during the December '44 typhoon. then he was transferred to instruct at another pre-flight school. so mebbe he wasn't an aviator or a ship's captain, but he helped train aviators & served his ship well - any new Annapolis graduate might hope to match his record.

I don't have a problem with him getting a ship, but I wish they had waited and given the class a different name.
The Moose
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Keifer

Those are the only 2 ships in the US Navy named after politicians that I actually approve of:

Ronald Reagan, JFK, Stennis, Gerald Ford had nothing to do with carrier aviation.
Stennis only as he and Vinson were HUGE carrier supporters. But then again , Washington,Linclon,Roosevelt,Kennedy had nothing to do with carriers, and Truman tried to eliminate them. Nimitz wasn't a Carrier admiral. By your standard , Franklin ,Handcock and Randolph , as well as FDR wouldn't be qualified. I feel the best is a return to the old tradition...carriers are to be named for battles or old ships in the old Navy. [:)]
The Gnome

Post by The Gnome »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

ORIGINAL: Keifer

Stennis only as he and Vinson were HUGE carrier supporters. But then again , Washington,Linclon,Roosevelt,Kennedy had nothing to do with carriers, and Truman tried to eliminate them. Nimitz wasn't a Carrier admiral. By your standard , Franklin ,Handcock and Randolph , as well as FDR wouldn't be qualified. I feel the best is a return to the old tradition...carriers are to be named for battles or old ships in the old Navy. [:)]

I have no problem with great political leaders being honored, but, I think there should be some sort of time limitation, like x number of years after their passing. It should be long enough period such that history can show their true place, and not have it turned into a contemporaneous political struggle.
fuelli

Post by fuelli »

You can be glad to have a few presidents with names that have a ring to it. I just can not imagine a German aircraft carrier named "Helmut Kohl".....[8|]
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Stennis and Vinson are good names for serious supporters of the Two Ocean Navy. I don't like naming CVs after living people. Concur with some of the above that they should be traditional names from ships of the past.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
aphrochine

Post by aphrochine »

I'm of the school that political names shouldn't be used. Only exceptional admirals with no political careers should be considered imo. Politics has become a more nasty business than ever and the further away the political arena is from our military the better.

As far as previous names who's ships didnt really inspire?? USS Enterprise CV-6 was the 7th american ship of that name. Sometimes, 7 times a charm. [:D]

But waiting until 2025/2030 is waiting too long for a navy to be without an Enterprise.
VMF-422 fanboy
Grog Virgin fanboy

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”