Sirian's Resources Mod (Update v1.1) Shadows compatible

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Sirian

Sirian's Resources Mod (Update v1.1) Shadows compatible

Post by Sirian »

Hello Modding Community!

Update Version 1.1
Changed most of the strategic resources icons, the gases, the gems, carbon fibre, silicon and polymer to get a cleaner look in game. Changed the spice luxury icon, that was horrible as well as the three gold luxury icons to get smoother looks. tjhkkr might find the carbon fibre image familiar... :-)

Originally I wanted the images to be larger, since there are occasional popups with messages regarding resources that would benefit from larger images but I just cound not get them to look good when scales down to 20x20 pixels. So I tossed the idea.

This mod is compatible with the Shadows expansion

Download here:
Resources Images v1.1
Resources Help Files v1.1

Alternatively, visit Sirian's Mods.

Installation:
Extract resources images into your Distant Worlds/images/ui/resources directory, but backup all original content there first!
Extract resources help files into your Distant Worlds/Help directory, but backup all original content there first!

Original Post:

I am happy to release my first mod, its not a mod per se but rather a game change as it is installes into the original game files.

When I first started playing I couldn't distinguish one resource icon from the other, they all looked kind of the same and I always had to mouse over to see what was there. So I made a set of icons that are designed to be distinguished even if theay are scaled down to 20x20 pixels. The icons are sized 32x32 pixels as this is the size they appear in the expansion planner on my computer.

Strategic resources have a white outline and are grouped into Gases, Metals, Gems and Others. Different groups have different icon families. Polymer has an oil icon and carbon fibre has a coal icon since I just couldn't find anything better.

Luxury resources have no white border and contain various icon families. The special luxury resources have gold icons with gold borders, these should stick out clearly. These icons are larger than the others since there are popups where the icon is displayed larger and I wanted those to be displayed in resoable resolution.

Speaking of sizes I want to make a second icon series where all icons are at large size. That is a challenge as the scaling in DW is quite harsh and getting those pictures right at different resolutions is challenging. But I wanted to release this first version, see what feedback they generate and then go back and refine them later.

Download: (I am not allowed to post links or images, so the resources.zip of version 1.0 is added as attachment. I also had 2 preview images, I will try to sneak them into my post)

How to install:
Extract contents into your Distant Worlds/images/ui/resources directory, but backup all original content there first!
Attachments
resources.zip
(125.64 KiB) Downloaded 460 times
Sirian

RE: Sirian's Resources Mod

Post by Sirian »

Strategic resources preview

Attachments
resources_strat.jpg
resources_strat.jpg (29.88 KiB) Viewed 654 times
Sirian

Post by Sirian »

Luxury resources preview

Attachments
resources_lux.jpg
resources_lux.jpg (53.28 KiB) Viewed 619 times
Martian

Post by Martian »

Welcome to the forums, Sirian!

Thank you for your nice mod. This is a great idea!
Like you I also had a difficulty about quickly distinguishing resources icons and was thinking to do something to improve them.
But you came first with a very nice solution!

Well done!
Sirian

Post by Sirian »

Thanks Martian!

I thought you would be working on a resources mod to complement your GEM mod.

Which btw I like very much, thanks for making it! I installes the cursors, planets, scenes and ruins. Currently I am also working on new messages images, whatever ui icons I can mod, character roles icons and I started to compile a ship set family.

Regards,
Sirian
Gareth_Bryne

Post by Gareth_Bryne »

Sirian, kudos! Any interface improvements are quite welcome, it seems that it and the AI are the only things in need of major improvement...
"Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts," - Londo Mollari
Gareth_Bryne

Post by Gareth_Bryne »

Double post due to forum glitch[:(]
"Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts," - Londo Mollari
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

Welcome to the forums... what about something like this for carbon fiber... :)

Attachments
carbonfiber.jpg
carbonfiber.jpg (11.78 KiB) Viewed 546 times
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: tjhkkr

Looks like something out of DATA's spare parts canister to me TJ! LOL! [:D]
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
Igard

Post by Igard »

Good work Sirian, and welcome to the forums. [:)]
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1
ORIGINAL: tjhkkr
Looks like something out of DATA's spare parts canister to me TJ! LOL! [:D]

I did not know Data had a spare parts canister...
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
Data

Post by Data »

Sirian, are you by any chance the same Sirian from the civfanatics community? [:)]
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
Sirian

Post by Sirian »

Sorry, Data, this is the first time I use this nick (as all my other nicks are taken)
Arcatus

Post by Arcatus »

Clean nice looking icons. Nice job :)

Data

Post by Data »

No problem, glad to have you on board just as much
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
Yskonyn

Post by Yskonyn »

Another great mod enhancing clarity! Thank you!
Yskonyn -

Desktop: Intel i7 9700K @5.0Ghz, Nvidia RTX3080Ti, 32GB RAM, Win 11 64bit
Laptop: Acer Swift 3 Intel i7 1065G7, Nvidia MX350, 8GB RAM, Win 11 64 bit.
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

Nice apart from the elephant which is too earth based.
Chet Guiles

Post by Chet Guiles »

These were really cool mods -- thanks! There are so many mods out there that I am afraid to load more than one at a time until I see whether they will really a.) work (usually a matter of my installing them wrong somehow) and b.) actually make the game more enjoyable. Yours did both.
Sirian

Post by Sirian »

Thanks for your kind remarks, I gave the carbon fibre icon a shot and it did quite well. I think I am going to keep it. I will post a new version when I finish reworking the icons to 96x96 pixel.

Regards, Sirian
Buio

Post by Buio »

Thanks for the mod. This makes it easier to recognize resources even as the tiny ikons they are at high resolution.

I took the liberty to play around a bit and learn something in the process. I created corresponding helpfiles (for the Galactopedia). The files in the attached archive Help-folder goes into your DistantWords\Help folder. Be sure to backup original files first!

Here is an image on how it looks.
Attachments
dwl_sirian..ctopedia.zip
(619.93 KiB) Downloaded 49 times

Return to “Design and Modding”