If you want to play multiplayer - dont buy it

Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog is the first new release (not a re-make of a previous games) in years in the critically acclaimed Close Combat series. It details the desperate German counter-attack at Mortain, the last chance of the Wehrmacht to stave off defeat in Normandy. Can you match the tenacity of the American defenders of Hill 314? Or can you succeed where the Panzers failed, driving through to the sea and changing history? Improved 32-bit graphics and the ability to control more squads than ever bring the Close Combat engine to a new level.
rmdesantis

RE: If you want to play multiplayer - dont buy it

Post by rmdesantis »

My friend is on vacation for a couple of weeks, but when he's back we'll give it a shot.
z1812

Post by z1812 »

ORIGINAL: PipFromSlitherine

ORIGINAL: z1812

I have a few Matrix/Sliterine games. I see that each has their own multiplayer room. Why not one room where all players can go to meet an opponent that you access through each game. That way there will be more players to meet and arrange games with.

In other words 1 lobby for all Matrx\Slitherine games. More convenient for players, and I should think more efficient for Matrix and Slitherine.
Because different games have different game setup requirements. You could have a single lobby, but you would spend half your time asking people what game(s) they had or wanted to play. I'm not sure of the utility of a single lobby.

Cheers

Pip

Hi Pip,

Check out Battle HQ at the Wargamer. That is the model. Unfortunately in my experience it was not maintained very well.
mooxe

Post by mooxe »

(lobby screenshot from 18months ago)

In GameRanger you can filter the games list to only show the games you have. Even if you only have one version, you can still choose to see who is playing other versions and chat with them. If you can't find a player for the game your hosting, you can host a different version. Your games can be open for anyone to come in and chat.

You can minimize this application and carry on with surfing the web, play other games or doing whatever you do. If someone joins your game, you are notified via taskbar. You are also notified if someone wants to talk to you.

GameRanger also shows you if you can or cannot connect to someone. If the name of your opponent is in italics, you cannot establish a connection.

In some cases you do not have to configure a firewall. Others you do. I never had to change my firewall settings to make any version work.

Having both options available, the Slitherine Lobby and GameRanger would be optimal. To have it work on GameRanger you simply have to leave the old connection methods in there. The admin over there does the rest to make the games connect as he did with all the previous re-releases.

Close Combat will never be popular enough to have only one method to connect for one specific game hosted exclusivley at one site. I know this for a fact, Ièv been trying, through my own website to corrall people online since the MS Zone was put offline. It has to be a collective with all the bells and whistles like GameRanger has as a minimum standard. Settings timings up through forums for online play was a thing of the late 1990`s and early 2000`s. It will not work, end of story.

I am pretty sure that 99% of all people who play CC play vs the AI anyways. Working on the AI and leaving the multiplayer the way it was would of left more people happy.

Prove me wrong that Slitherine Lobby is the way of the future for multiplayer PiTF.
Close Combat Series

CCS on Youtube

Join Discord for tech support and online games.
BigKev

Post by BigKev »

That Game Ranger UI looks fantastic, and looks similar to about every other online game lobby I have ever used. I Don't understand why the TitF lobby interface was designed with such limited information. [&:] Surely that data is available - it just needs to be displayed...?
jwduquette1

Post by jwduquette1 »

It's unfortunate to read about all the issues players are having with H2H play in Panthers in the Fog. I loved the Close Combat Series from Atomic...haven't played any of the Matrix remakes. However, I really was looking forward to getting back into Close Combat via Panthers in the Fog.

The main reason I loved CC was for the H2H experience; In particular the H2H Campaign game experience. I never got into playing the AI in Close Combat. I was just about to purchase PitF, but figured I should take a quick peak at the forums to see what's being discussed. If H2H is not working in Panthers in the Fog, I think I'll hold onto my cash. I hope this all gets resolved. I Will keep an eye on the forums and hopefully H2H is fixed so that I can justify plunking down the cash on what otherwise looks like a really nice upgrade to Close Combat.
Moltke71

Post by Moltke71 »

The lobby works fine now.
Jim Cobb
jwduquette1

Post by jwduquette1 »

Sooo...were the folks that were complaining about H2H issues before now comfortable with this aspect of the game?
Moltke71

Post by Moltke71 »

I played two commutative games last night The only problem I had were lobby chatting.
ENTIER kicked me out
Jim Cobb
kweniston

Post by kweniston »

A little bit off-topic, but I'm following Chris Roberts' Star Citizen, and he said regarding to servers, quote: "You don't want to be in that situation when you have your game, and your big publisher suddenly says "oh, not profitable anymore..." Roberts is referring to EA stopping support for online servers: oops, game is gone.

So, Close Combat needs a robust alternative which supports direct connections, like all the previous CC's, because this 2d game is timeless and can/will be played many year from now. Please let it continue to be that way.

Specific Star Citizen interview (quote is from 19.17+)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... JGOQXzDbgc
DavidFaust

Post by DavidFaust »

I was thinking of buying this game for my son and have few questions questions.

I would like to play this game with my son, will I need to purchase 2 copies of the game?

Is the game still unplayable with 2 human players?

Would I need to log onto a server to play or could we link up computers?

WoT

Post by WoT »

You will need to log into the server with two seperate serial numbers.

Use an earlier version if you want to play with a single copy and avoid paying twice.
DavidFaust

Post by DavidFaust »

Will this allow you to play only single maps?
WoT

Post by WoT »

The only 'Single map" game is CCMT.. all others include a campaign/operations mode.

Wacht a Rhein and The Longest day include two GRAND campaigns (original CC4 and CC5 campaigns as well as all new campaigns)

Last stand arnhem only one GRAND campaign (no original CC2 campaign)
mbar

Post by mbar »

All CC games let you play any single map available in the game. Like they said above the older games you can by one copy and connect directly to two installs on PCs at home. PitF you would need two copies and connect to the Slitherine game server.
rmdesantis

Post by rmdesantis »

ORIGINAL: PipFromSlitherine

ORIGINAL: rmdesantis

In my case - I am in Ohio and my friend in NY City. Unless your lobby routes us through servers in Europe, then we were in the US.

The problem for us, quite specifically, was in running a campaign. We simply could not get into the second battle without the error. The first battle went fine. So my question stands - how extensively did playtesters actually test multiplayer in Campaign/Operations? Did people actually play an entire campaign/operation?
Does this issue still occur if you make use of the quick fix zip which is posted in the Tech Support forum? This fixes a campaign crash which could well be the same problem you are seeing.

Cheers

Pip

I got a chance to play multiplayer last night - we started the campaign game and were able to make it through the entire first night without a problem. So it seems that as of now the hot fix seems to have addressed my issue at the very least.
particoromulus

Post by particoromulus »

I have the same question. I have one copy, and unlike all other versions of CC I can't seem to play this locally on two computers with my son. What am I missing? Or, would I have to buy a second copy? I wouldn't do that unless a discount was offered for a second purchase.
WoT

Post by WoT »

you need 2 copies and both need to be able to connect through the new server
Rtwfreak

Post by Rtwfreak »

ORIGINAL: particoromulus

I have the same question. I have one copy, and unlike all other versions of CC I can't seem to play this locally on two computers with my son. What am I missing? Or, would I have to buy a second copy? I wouldn't do that unless a discount was offered for a second purchase.

And so you think that other person you would play multiplayer with accross the world or even in your own neighborhood should have gotten his copy for free or 1/2 price just because you paid full price for a copy?
VonManstein

Post by VonManstein »

ORIGINAL: WoT

you need 2 copies and both need to be able to connect through the new server

But, the problem is: The new server (lobby) works bad. Its impossible to play fine, without lag, frozzen, etc.
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
WoT

Post by WoT »

The company has a terrible recent history with supporting their servers...

tm.asp?m=1875765&mpage=4&key=�

This system will probably end up the same through lack of company interest

Return to “Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog”