Need tips on best pratice to replenish depleted IJN CV squadrons

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

abulbulian

Need tips on best pratice to replenish depleted IJN CV squadrons

Post by abulbulian »

How do people normally use the 'get veteran' button on a group screen when adding pilot(s). It seems that I would have to be stealing from another group to even use it? I have vets in TRACOM, but can't seem to pull those in? What am I doing wrong? Still a lot of unknowns for me on this page and the information -> manage pilots page(s). Any good links to tutorials on how to best manage the pilots aspect of WitE:AE?

I really need to find a way to attempt to preserve my CV pilots experience as I rebuild my deplete CV squadrons. Recently had large CV battle (PH #2... mistake in hindsight) which was in my favorable for capital & CV ship lost ratio, but I suffered massive elite pilot loses.

Thanks for any tips.
- Beta Tester WitE and ATG
- Alpha/Beta Tester WitW and WitE2

"Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack." - Sun Tzu
Jorge_Stanbury

RE: Need tips on best pratice to replenish depleted IJN CV squadrons

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

There is a lot of unknowns in this game; it has the hardest learning curve I have ever seen in a computer game; but it is rewarding

if you have pilots in the TRACOM; you need to click (or is it double click.. don't remember) on them and change them to "reserve"
then go to the get veteran button from the group screen and select the one you want;
it will take them some days to arrive;

Best source of information are: the manual (it is very detailed), AARs and this forum

abulbulian

Post by abulbulian »

Ok thanks, that makes sense. So what do the variation of 'Release Pilots' button(s) do? Have yet to be brave enough to try it. I'll check the documentation again to see what might be there on this topic.

"Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack." - Sun Tzu
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

release pilot will move him from his current group to either:

- the group specific reserve.- if you want the pilot to stop flying
- the general reserve.- from here you can assign him to a different group
- TRACOM.- to accelarate TRACOM training; only high exp pilots can go there
rev rico

Post by rev rico »

I go to the GET VETERAN button, select RESERVE, sort by the skill/experience, then use the RELEASE PILOT most experienced buttons on the bottom to fill up the pilots. To avoid getting the wrong type of pilots click off all but the type I want to draw from (Fighter/Bomber/Patrol/ ...). For DBs I do the same, but make sure only Bomber Reserve is shwoing, sort by NavT, then choose the LEAST experienced.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: abulbulian

How do people normally use the 'get veteran' button on a group screen when adding pilot(s). It seems that I would have to be stealing from another group to even use it? I have vets in TRACOM, but can't seem to pull those in? What am I doing wrong? Still a lot of unknowns for me on this page and the information -> manage pilots page(s). Any good links to tutorials on how to best manage the pilots aspect of WitE:AE?
d
You need to have some well-trained pilots in your IJNAF pool to draw from, obviously. This needs to be tended to months before you anticipate a need to draw them. I will usually dump my well-trained pilots (with good experience) into the "reserve" pool. The new patch makes it easy to line up based upon a training category and, after making sure that you're set to 'reserve' pool, harvest 5 or 10 pilots into your reserve pool.

Next, return to your CV unit that you want to bring pilots into. Toggle the pilot source pool from "replacements" (rookies from your default pool-not for use in CV groups) to "TRACOM" (this is where you could pull in your TRACOM pilots) to "reserve" (where your trained, non-TRACOM pilots should be parked).

Click "Select Veteran" and you will be brought to a screen with applicable pilots for selection. Select the pilot of choice based upon skills and they will appear on your pilots list with a random delay (1-7 in the new patch, IIRC).

Hope this helps. [:)]
abulbulian

Post by abulbulian »

I will usually dump my well-trained pilots (with good experience) into the "reserve" pool.

Is this just before you want to use them? Otherwise, I would think you wouldn't gain any benefit from having good pilots in the reserve pool? Better choice would be to put these 'good' pilots into TRACOM to help train the noobs?

Thanks

chuckj118

Post by chuckj118 »

You need to set a large number of squadrons to training pilots as soon as possible. Use the many nates and other obsolete planes for this. If experienced pilots are in the units send them into the reserve pool and replace them with new pilots.

I begin by training them to do there most basic function. For instance, fighter pilots train for air. Once this exceeds a chosen number (65? 70?) put them to actually flying cap or other combat mission to add experience. Once they go above 60 training will drop off a great deal. Once they hit a certain number I put them into the reserve and add new pilots and start over.

Both sides need to do this. Of course, the allies have a much easier time of it.

In my current game I have at least half of my squadrons doing training in the USA, Australia or India.
chuckj118

Post by chuckj118 »

To answer your direct question. Move the depleted air unit on a CV to a land base and add pilots/planes as needed. Move another prepped unit onto the ship.

Reconstitute destroyed Naval squadrons from sunk carriers and use the extra units for training. Larger ones with good commanders are best.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S. Anyone with other tricks please comment. I would appreciate any comments. [:)]

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”