Fatal Bug Error!!!

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.
rmdesantis

Fatal Bug Error!!!

Post by rmdesantis »

I've been playing CC for over a decade, and consistently have problems when a new one is issued. Here's the story.

I play exclusively with a friend over the internet. Tonight we played Central Slugfest (the operation). We both log into the forum and I host the game with my friend. He gets a "Close Combat Error" but directly below it was the invitation to join. He does, and the first round (the one with the fog) goes without incident.

We move to the second round. We allocate artillery, move, etc, and then proceed to select units, which we do (odd thing about that later). We both click execute and the game begins to load sound, etc - and then I (the host) get a "Close Combat has stopped working" error - the details are below. My friend gets no notification.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BEX
Application Name: CCE.exe
Application Version: 2012.11.6.1
Application Timestamp: 50998f6a
Fault Module Name: CCE.exe
Fault Module Version: 2012.11.6.1
Fault Module Timestamp: 50998f6a
Exception Offset: 00157b86
Exception Code: c000000d
Exception Data: 00000000
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 5bea
Additional Information 2: 5beaa5386dbe2f0da9cfbf8341d81462
Additional Information 3: c5c8
Additional Information 4: c5c89e36a0f5b0d572281eb69e8c558a

This is repeatable (in that we both leave the program entirely, start again, and it happens again). We try to allocate artillery or mortar differently, same thing. We try not to make any changes (just click next and execute even when it comes to choosing forces) - same thing. Bomb.

Very, very annoying. This is not the first CC that has had problems with multiplayer mode (most of them have at different times) and I would have thought that after more than a decade these problems would have been ironed out. Any suggestions?

While I'm on the subject, here's another odd thing. In the game above, during the second round, as German if I go to the first platoon and change it (to a different platoon) my support units change (there were 2 half tracks, but they disappear so I have to reselect). Even more odd is that the default is 2 mortar halftracks but when this happens (they disappear, that it), there is only 1 mortar half track available in the force pool. I could live with this kind of minor annoyance, but the multiplayer problem makes this game unplayable for me.

I really only use these games for their multiplayer ability. What can we do to fix this problem?

Mike
xe5

RE: Fatal Bug Error!!!

Post by xe5 »

ORIGINAL: rmdesantis
While I'm on the subject, here's another odd thing. In the game above, during the second round, as German if I go to the first platoon and change it (to a different platoon) my support units change (there were 2 half tracks, but they disappear so I have to reselect). Even more odd is that the default is 2 mortar halftracks but when this happens (they disappear, that it), there is only 1 mortar half track available in the force pool. I could live with this kind of minor annoyance, but the multiplayer problem makes this game unplayable for me.

I really only use these games for their multiplayer ability. What can we do to fix this problem?

Mike
That is actually a feature, not a bug. Each company has different support units available - usually the company HQ "platoon' and a heavy weapons platoon. The support units available to each company are listed under the company name eg. [A Company] below has an HQ and Weapons Plt etc. will have different HQ and Weapons Plt units. etc.

The platoon chosen for the 1st Platoon slots determines some of the support units which are available. If you choose a platoon from A Co. for 1st Platoon then the A Company support units become available. There are also Battalion and Regimental support units that are available regardless of which companies platoon occupies the 1st Platoon slots.

What happened when you changed the 1st Platoon was that the support units available to the default platoon were removed which made the slots open to be filled from the support units for the platoon/company that you selected for 1st Platoon. In your case the new 1st Plt only had 1 mortar HT in its support forcepool. Had you changed back to the original 1st platoon the 2 mortar HTs would have again been available.

Attachments
SupportUnits.jpg
SupportUnits.jpg (134.43 KiB) Viewed 155 times
rmdesantis

Post by rmdesantis »

Okay, thanks. Interesting.

Now - any thoughts on the fatal error? That, of course, is the thing that is really a problem

xe5

Post by xe5 »

ORIGINAL: rmdesantis
Now - any thoughts on the fatal error? That, of course, is the thing that is really a problem
Zip the saved game file you were using (C:\Documents and Settings\*\My Documents\Close Combat Panthers in the Fog\Saved Games\...) and attach it in this thread for the developer to analyze.
rmdesantis

Post by rmdesantis »

As requested - here is the zipped saved game
Attachments
CentralSlugfest.zip
(144.25 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

Thanks for the file and the bug report, rmdesantis.  I will take a look at it.  And thanks for chiming in here, xe5.
STIENER

Post by STIENER »

I love CC,[:)] but I too am slightly annoyed that we pay our money for a new game and then play test it for matrix for free. I wonder how many patchs will come out before its a playable game? [&:]
My 2 cents..........

Return to “Tech Support”