Rearming with AE/AKE

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

dereck

Rearming with AE/AKE

Post by dereck »

Situation:

Christmas Island - Port size 2 with an AKE (size 3920) in port

There is a heavy cruiser in a task force that the manual has the following rearm information for:
  • 8 in / 55 Mk 9 - rearm cost 540 or tender (AE, AKE)
  • 5 in / 25 Mk 10 - rearm cost using 5 in/38* is 110 or tender (AE, AKE)

When I look at the ship infor screen only the AA guns show green as being able to be rearmed from the base itself. Am I correct in thinking that the AKE I have in port can be used to rearm the 8in and 5in guns?

*The manual does not have rearm information for the 5in / 25 Mk 10 (is there any formula to use to calculate rearm costs)

Thanks
PO2 US Navy (1980-1986);
USS Midway CV-41 (1981-1984)
Whidbey Island, WA (1984-1986)
Naval Reserve (1986-1992)
Dan Nichols

RE: Rearming with AE/AKE

Post by Dan Nichols »

As long as the AKE has enough supply, it will reload your CA.
I think that the two obligations you have are to be good at what you do and then to pass on your knowledge to a younger person
msieving1

Post by msieving1 »

(is there any formula to use to calculate rearm costs)

Rearm cost is double the effect of the weapon.
-- Mark Sieving
nashvillen

Post by nashvillen »

You can rearm the 460cm guns of the Yamato class with enough AKEs in port. This has been shown to be effective in Truk (Lots of Naval Support, also) to keep them and the Nagato's pounding things early in the war. Just do your calculations based on the effectiveness of the weapon system, keep plenty of supply on hand and it will happen.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

In a similar vein, I've been trying to rearm Dutch subs at Calcutta, with an AS but no naval support, then at Chittigong also with an AS plus naval support. No luck yet. A HQ at Chittigong (Indian) is keeping torpedo inventory. Am I failing because they are Dutch? I must have not payed much attention in the past. I'm playing DBB-C.

Dan Nichols

Post by Dan Nichols »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

In a similar vein, I've been trying to rearm Dutch subs at Calcutta, with an AS but no naval support, then at Chittigong also with an AS plus naval support. No luck yet. A HQ at Chittigong (Indian) is keeping torpedo inventory. Am I failing because they are Dutch? I must have not payed much attention in the past. I'm playing DBB-C.

Does the AS have supply? Is it big enough?
I think that the two obligations you have are to be good at what you do and then to pass on your knowledge to a younger person
ctangus

Post by ctangus »

Probably a stupid question but along the same lines, can an AE/AKE reload DD torpedoes in a small port? Or do you need an AD? (Stock Scen 1)
Dan Nichols

Post by Dan Nichols »

Yes, as long as it is large enough. A LL takes an AKE with a load of 2160, and I think most have that much.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

It's the Lucia, 6800 tons with 2775 cap. I'm nearly certain I loaded it at Calcutta then unloaded it at Chittigong after it failed the second time. In case I'm wrong, I'll load her up again at Chittigong (where the fish inventory is) and try again. There is no supply shortage anywhere in India, of course.

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: ctangus

Probably a stupid question but along the same lines, can an AE/AKE reload DD torpedoes in a small port? Or do you need an AD? (Stock Scen 1)

Not to waste your time since I don't know the answer, but since an AE can put torpedos on a CV (right? never had to do it before), I would think it could handle a DD.

Oh never mind, I see DN who actually knows stuff answered already.

ctangus

Post by ctangus »

Thanks! [:)]
msieving1

Post by msieving1 »

A HQ at Chittigong (Indian) is keeping torpedo inventory.

The HQ at least is irrelevant. Torpedo inventory in HQ units is only for air launched torpedoes.

-- Mark Sieving
msieving1

Post by msieving1 »

There is a heavy cruiser in a task force that the manual has the following rearm information for:

The manual says that an AKE "Can rearm other ships when in both ships are anchored at the same location." [My emphasis] That leads me to believe that both the AKE and the ship being rearmed must be disbanded in the port, or at least docked. Most TFs containing a CA are going to be too large to dock at a size 2 port.
-- Mark Sieving
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: msieving1

The HQ at least is irrelevant. Torpedo inventory in HQ units is only for air launched torpedoes.

Do you know if that is so for both land based and navy planes, can they both draw from the same HQ?

By the way my AS in Chit is working now, since I loaded it.

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

The manual says that an AKE "Can rearm other ships when in both ships are anchored at the same location." [My emphasis] That leads me to believe that both the AKE and the ship being rearmed must be disbanded in the port, or at least docked. Most TFs containing a CA are going to be too large to dock at a size 2 port.

I wonder if the AKE can be either disbanded or docked, and if clicking "replenish from port" for the TF containing the ship in question will get it done? Bullwinkle, you out there?

Puhis

Post by Puhis »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Do you know if that is so for both land based and navy planes, can they both draw from the same HQ?

Do you mean navy planes = carrier planes? Carrier planes use carrier's torpedo sorties, not air HQ. You can replenish carrier's torpedo sorties like any other ship "ammo", as long as conditions are met.
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

All aircraft that can carry torpedoes can use torpedoes if there is any air HQ in the base or in range that carries torpedoes. Does not matter the nationality of the HQ or type of plane. One size fits all.

You disband the, fully loaded AKE or AE in the port and the surface ships can re-arm there without disbanding their own TF. They do not have to be docked but there is a certain capacity to rearm depending on the port size and support. That is you may not be able to rearm all your ships in one turn if the port is to small.

Best to set up a least a level 4 or 5 port for rearming-especially BBs. With enough naval support, I can reload American 16 inch guns at Sorong-a level 5 port. However, only about one BB TF a turn.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”