Buna, Jungle hex?

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

SuluSea

Buna, Jungle hex?

Post by SuluSea »

Hi all, after spending the last month or so reading about the battles around Buna- Gona -Sanananda I'm wondering if the base should be a swamp hex for defensive purposes?

A developer will probably come along with sound reasoning. Even 3 plus years in I continue to be amazed with their attention to detail in this game and I'm wondering the thought process? [:)] [:)] [:)]

Buna and Milne Bay are listed as Jungle x2 defensive value looking at a Buna map considering the defensive troops are in the high ground a attacking troops would have to wade through swamp to flank the enemy or along the trails into blistering fields of fire. It would seem a case could be made that Buna be swamp x3 defense.

Past reading about Milne Bay but (without looking at maps ) I got the same impression regarding swamp.

Thanks. [:)]
"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer
Halsey

RE: Buna, Jungle hex?

Post by Halsey »

Looking at Google Earth, there are swamp areas very very close to the coast.
The inland areas are just low lying, and probably flood during heavy rains.

I'd say the Jungle x2 is a pretty good call for the terrain.[;)]

Just my opinion though...[:D]

JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

You are probably right about the swamps, but there was also heavy foliage cover.

Ask the Diggers or GI's and they would probably want a x5 modifier!

If you use swamp do you lose the effect of jungle to provide cover against air attack??
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

I suspect that they chose the ground type based upon how the campaign there actually played.  Clearly you could go either way here.  I tend to trust the dev's on these ...  but that's me.  [;)]
Pax
btbw

Post by btbw »

Looking at Google Earth, there are swamp areas very very close to the coast.
What interesting in places not close to coast? Will troops fight far from keypart place cuz this place swamp, not jungle?

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”