New Beta update 1.6 Available!

This exciting new release is a faithful adaptation of the renowned Conflict of Heroes board game that won the Origins Historical Game of the Year, Charles Roberts Wargame of the Year and the James F. Dunnigan Design Elegance Award, as well as many others!

Designed and developed in cooperation with Uwe Eickert, the original designer of Conflict of Heroes, and Western Civlization Software, the award-winning computer wargame studio, no effort has been spared to bring the outstanding Conflict of Heroes gameplay to the computer. Conflict of Heroes includes an AI opponent as well as full multiplayer support with an integrated forum and game lobby. To remain true to the core gameplay of the board game, the PC version is designed to be fun, fast and easy to play, though hard to master. The game design is also historically accurate and teaches and rewards platoon and company-level combined arms tactics without overwhelming the player with rules.

Moderator: MOD_WestCiv

Charly G

RE: New Beta update 1.6 Available!

Post by Charly G »

Very good news. This game will merit to catch player's attention who play Squad Leader and Advanced Squad Leader boardgames.
We have good scenario makers with Double Deuce and Jamm, thanks to them. I hope many new players in the following months for this game.
wodin

Post by wodin »

ORIGINAL: JFalk68

This is how we want it to look!

If the game looked like that I'd be all over it. What is surprising and I hate to say it but the one man band who made that IPad version for himself looks so much better than this game. I'm not sure how he managed to get it looking so good and with what appears to be a clean and good looking UI and here with this retail game t comes in second best.

I'm expecting big things from the next patch. If it does come good I will buy.

I do think you need to check out the IPad video and see what a fantastic job he did and maybe take something from it.
DoubleDeuce

Post by DoubleDeuce »

ORIGINAL: ericbabe

Thank you for the kind words. The next patch should be out soon. We're going to try to relax the restriction that prevents players with different versions from entering the lobby -- it'll be a sort of play-at-your-own-risk type of thing, but we'll show everybody's version number in the lobby player list so that people with like versions can try playing each other. Hopefully that will spur lobby activity.
Been almost 2 months, hopefully this is still moving along? I have a few new scenarios in the pipeline, just wanting to tweak'em with the patch installed before releasing them.
Ratzki

Post by Ratzki »

Yes, we are all waiting for the release.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Almost ready...
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
hugi

Post by hugi »

Ahhhhh ... waiting can be so hard!
Days, Weeks, Months?

Come on ... information. [&o]
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

"Conflict of Heroes" got excellent scores for graphics and UI from all the reviewers. I understand that some people might prefer other systems or graphical styles, but I've been very happy with how our graphics and UI turned out, and I think that our artists did an excellent job.

We couldn't just design the game to use board-game-style maps because we wanted to make the scenario editor a prominent game feature, and we can't expect every scenario-modder to be a map artist as well. We could have produced the game much more cheaply if we had forgone custom scenarios and stuck only to the 10 included in the board-game, but it seems that the ability to create firefights was a popular feature, and indeed the most active members on this forum seem to be those who are interested in this feature.

I'm curious as to what you don't like about our UI. Is there anything in particular you think we ought to have done differently? Dragging the map? Selecting units? Attacking enemy units?

This is what the next version of the game looks like using the "giant board-game-style" maps.

Attachments
COH_Demolition.jpg
COH_Demolition.jpg (879.92 KiB) Viewed 162 times
Jamm

Post by Jamm »

Looks awesome Eric.
I'll try with the hand drawn maps as long as there is a hexgrid and some method for us to assign a terrain type for a hex.
It opens up a whole new set of possibilities with hand drawn boards.
Love the multi hex buildings.
[&o]
The thing I don't like about the UI, is I think it takes up a large portion of the screen.
It has all the right info displayed, just maybe scale it down a little or let the user choose a size.

Now hurry up and release
When the going gets weird,... the weird turn pro
Hunter S Thompson

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jamm-wor ... =bookmarks
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

I prefer the current 3D maps to the one above. Currently playing on a lower end system, using the Low Resolution start menu choice and it looks good, runs smooth enough.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
hugi

Post by hugi »

Amazing job!
Thanks for the 2d version!

Now with boardgame graphic und rules (los and others) it is the game I want.
I'm also happy with the next game box release in spring 2013.

Greetings
hugi
Ratzki

Post by Ratzki »

I do not have an issue with the UI as it stands now. It might be a little large but I don't have to put my glasses on in order to read it.
As for the maps, I am a little partial to the 3D maps over the 2D ones. Not that the 2D aren't very good looking, it would be something if you could toggle some of the 3D terrain features on and off over top of the 2D maps for some extra depth.
Gerry4321

Post by Gerry4321 »

Eric:

The 2-D map looks beautiful to me. (I realize others will prefer 3-D so it is great to have a choice).

Agree with Jamm about the UI - it takes up too much of the screen and covers up too much of the beautiful map.

Gerry
Charly G

Post by Charly G »

Nice work. I really like your 2-D map.
I agree with people about the UI. I will prefer a lesser scale for it.
ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Almost ready...

Can we hope to see this update in November ?
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

Maybe because I am older, I don't have an issue with the size of the UI. I have a 16:9/10 wide screen desktop monitor. As long as it can be toggled off with a hotkey.

The current sizes look like they can be used on a touch screen tablet (which some of us may have in the near future).

Edit

I would like to see round bases under the 3D units. I have to switch to chit view to find everyone on the map.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
Jamm

Post by Jamm »

I'm already picturing some gnarly Stalingrad scenarios if we're allowed to design with those large building hexes.
I'm sure Double Deuce is as well.
Are you planning on adding the weapons cards to this series in the future?
When the going gets weird,... the weird turn pro
Hunter S Thompson

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jamm-wor ... =bookmarks
wodin

Post by wodin »

That looks superb. When it looks like this I will buy.

ORIGINAL: ericbabe

"Conflict of Heroes" got excellent scores for graphics and UI from all the reviewers. I understand that some people might prefer other systems or graphical styles, but I've been very happy with how our graphics and UI turned out, and I think that our artists did an excellent job.

We couldn't just design the game to use board-game-style maps because we wanted to make the scenario editor a prominent game feature, and we can't expect every scenario-modder to be a map artist as well. We could have produced the game much more cheaply if we had forgone custom scenarios and stuck only to the 10 included in the board-game, but it seems that the ability to create firefights was a popular feature, and indeed the most active members on this forum seem to be those who are interested in this feature.

I'm curious as to what you don't like about our UI. Is there anything in particular you think we ought to have done differently? Dragging the map? Selecting units? Attacking enemy units?

This is what the next version of the game looks like using the "giant board-game-style" maps.

(
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

ORIGINAL: Jamm
Are you planning on adding the weapons cards to this series in the future?

I'd like to, but it will really depend on how sales are going more than anything else.
Wolfe1759

Post by Wolfe1759 »

WOW really impressive.

Multi-hex buildings - just waiting for a talented (i.e. not me) modder to do SL Map 1 and The Guards Counter Attack to Streets of Stalingrad [:)]

I've only had the game for a week or so therefore I'll reserve any suggestions on UI until I've played it a bit more.

P.S. I'm assuming this is in the 1.12 beta that I'm currently downloading
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill
Charly G

Post by Charly G »

Wodin, you can buy it now. With the 1.12 beta update, it's superb.
z1812

Post by z1812 »

Sorry Wrong Thread

Return to “Conflict of Heroes Series”