Need suggestion for wargame

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

bluemax100

Need suggestion for wargame

Post by bluemax100 »

I'm getting back into wargaming after a long period of inactivity. I enjoyed the SSG games and run 5 magazine for the civil war and earlier periods. I'm looking for a similiar type of game that isn't overly complicated.Hex based and tiles or small representations. I have both a windows 7 and XP computer. I'm not fond of WWII games as they tend to get overly complicated. Any thoughts. The Operational Art of War looked like it might be something good. Any comments or help would be appreciated.
wodin

RE: Need suggestion for wargame

Post by wodin »

yeah TOAW 3. If you where into WW2 I'd say Decisive Campaigns series though.
Rtwfreak

Post by Rtwfreak »

Age of Rifles.
bluemax100

Post by bluemax100 »

Looked at a review of theTOAW3 and it looks to complicated for me. I was able to load the Battleground 2 Gettysburg game and it seems about right in complexity although the play is a little slow. One other thought. I use to have and enjoy the board game Tactics 2 i think from avolon hill. Does anyone know of a computer version or scenerio of that game?
radic202

Post by radic202 »

The Only PC Games that I know and loved from Avalon Hill were the World at War series. Almost impossible to play win Win7 (and I have tried everything or almost)now but thought I would suggest them anyways.

http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/world-at-war-series
It is much harder to think about doing something than actually doing it!
wodin

Post by wodin »

bluemax..not sure what scale tactics was..but if you want a boardgame like squad level PC game I suggest either Conflict of Heroes which is a boardgame conversion or HPS Squad battles as that series has lots of games that aren't WW2 i.e Korea,Vietnam, Soviet Afgan War, Winter War, Spanish Civil War, Falklands and some others.

Rtwfreak

Post by Rtwfreak »

ORIGINAL: bluemax1602

Looked at a review of theTOAW3 and it looks to complicated for me. I was able to load the Battleground 2 Gettysburg game and it seems about right in complexity although the play is a little slow. One other thought. I use to have and enjoy the board game Tactics 2 i think from avolon hill. Does anyone know of a computer version or scenerio of that game?

There is a DOS game you can play using DosBox or D-Fend Reloaded by Avalon Hill (not avOlon hill lol) called T.A.C. that might fit your bill of a simuliar PC game to Tactics 2. Most sides are equal and the map does change from game to game. Pretty basic and don't expect modern day graphics. Just do a google search of Avalon Hill PC games and you'll probably find a copy of it somewhere as freeware or abandonware or shareware.
bluemax100

Post by bluemax100 »

Thanks for the help and input. I'll look into this while on playing Battleground Gettysburg.
milkweg

Post by milkweg »

ORIGINAL: radic202

The Only PC Games that I know and loved from Avalon Hill were the World at War series. Almost impossible to play win Win7 (and I have tried everything or almost)now but thought I would suggest them anyways.

http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/world-at-war-series

They play fine if you use Dosbox but without sound for some reason. Never had sound issues in any other game using Dosbox so Atomic used some very odd method for sound in WaW series.

The Matrix/Slitherine Field of Glory game and add-ons are good and is not complex.

Return to “General Discussion”