Horse and Musket series

The Seven Years’ War was fought across the globe and called by some the first “World War” as virtually every major power participated. In the center of events was Prussia, almost constantly at war and lead by the now legendary Frederick the Great.

Relive the exciting and trying days of Frederick the Great in Horse and Musket: Volume I, the improved and expanded combination of the previous Prussian War Machine and Prussia’s Glory titles. Horse and Musket: Volume I is a reboot of the successful Horse and Musket series, including not only two solid historical titles in one package, but also many new game features, a powerful new editor, and a complete graphics overhaul to an already acclaimed gaming system.

Moderators: Tim Coakley, Sertorius

TomBombadil711

Horse and Musket series

Post by TomBombadil711 »

Hi,

just in case someone is still visiting this forum: How many HnM games have been released so far? I have the first title Horse and Musket, Dragoon and Horse and Musket Vol. 1. Was there another title named Prussia's Glory? And if yes, can this game still be bought somewhere?

If anyone fancies a PBEM game of the first title drop me a note.

Thanks in advance.

Tom
PrinzHenrich

RE: Horse and Musket series

Post by PrinzHenrich »

Hi, Yes Prussia's Glory was another realased by another company. What game you mean saying Horse and Musket, Dragoon and Horse? You meant this old game from "Horse and Musket: Great Battles of Eighteenth Century"?
Changes....
TomBombadil711

Post by TomBombadil711 »

Yes, as well as its sequel Dragoon: The Complete Battles of Frederick the Great.

PrinzHenrich

Post by PrinzHenrich »

This is total diffferent. Check out the promo video and you will see the difference.
Changes....
TomBombadil711

Post by TomBombadil711 »

So am I right that the first in the series was "Horse and Musket: Great Battles...", followed by "Dragoon: The complete Battles..." and "Horse and Musket Vol. 1" and that "Prussia's Glory" has nothing to do with these games?

Nevertheless, any idea where I can still get "Prussia's Glory"?

Thanks in advance.
PrinzHenrich

Post by PrinzHenrich »

I believe this is an update version of Prussia Glory. You can find out reading the forum. I think Prussia GLorry is allready dead casue the developed crew has been change by Boku Games from Shrapnel to Matrix.
Changes....
Zaratoughda

Post by Zaratoughda »

I belive that Dragoon: The Complete Battles of FtG... was the first game released with this engine.. by Baku. They then released Horse and Musket and that was widely acclaimed and successful and... had ARW battles in it and a picture of George W on the cover.

With that, Boku sold the rights to Shrapnel... or something along those lines... and they released Prussian War Machine and Prussia's Glory and, they were only mildy successful. The graphics were significantly improved but there was not really much in the way of game system improvements and, when they came out with the second in the series it was really just 5 more battles with the same engine and, nobody wanted to pay for a full game they already had just with 5 more battles.

I have the first two in this series and also PWM... which is pretty good IMO... except for one MAJOR lacking... the AI is all screwed up. Really, it is COMPLETELY screwed up... doing all sorts of stupid things all over the place. I never bothered to get PG.

Then Matrix managed to get the rights to the series and, to make a long story short... RIP.

They decided to make the figuries smaller and that diminished the graphical impact, despite having an excellant artist, and virtually no game improvements of significance and... made one release and my guess is that did not sell well, if at all, and now the ball has been completely dropped... my guess is it will eventually end up in the 'free games' list.

What is sad here is that the series had a LOT of potential. With the original H&M, there were LOTS of scenarios out there... The complete F&I War, the complete ARW, the Wars of the Spanish Succession, etc, etc. The follow-ups COULD have been THE game for 18th Century warfare but... NOPE... again, RIP.
PrinzHenrich

Post by PrinzHenrich »

You are wrong in some points. The Matrixgames edition have improved awesome editor designer program. You can do almost everything. THe beta testing Editor for Vollume II is even better but with some bugs. The only problem to developed it to other XVIII Century Wars is graphic which is pretty dificult to made, not like in Dragoon: The Complete Battles of FtG.
Changes....
PrinzHenrich

Post by PrinzHenrich »

Changes....
Schweinewitz

Post by Schweinewitz »

What is sad here is that the series had a LOT of potential. With the original H&M, there were LOTS of scenarios out there... The complete F&I War, the complete ARW, the Wars of the Spanish Succession, etc, etc. The follow-ups COULD have been THE game for 18th Century warfare but... NOPE... again, RIP.

Very true. And it's very regrettable to see this going down the drain without a single word by the developers.
PrinzHenrich

Post by PrinzHenrich »

Remake this scenarios is not problem. All you need is graphic and that is the problem. In old HNM it was simple bmp file that everyone could made. In present version it is more complicated. If someone would do an program to create different regiments..... like you have model and choose only the shape of hat, color of jacket trausers, ect.. pres ok, and you have full set of templates with your unit. In XVIII Century they are look mostly the smae the only differences was in the colors.
Changes....
Magnus

Post by Magnus »

I´ll see if I can get Tim to continue on the game. I agree it has taken too long and development has stalled. But I am eager to finish the graphics for the game, but I need to know if Tim is still working on the game or if any of the Matrix staff knows?

Since the Beta forum is still there I assume development goes on, but not sure.
/Magnus
PrinzHenrich

Post by PrinzHenrich »

Magnus, we need to do it together. Grenadiers of Horse are done, dragoons only flagebearer to make, the Prusian DR7 fit to the Russians too, the cuirasiers are little problem. They got paile uniforms, and red underwear not fit the Austrians or Prussians.
Artillery, Hussars and Cossack need to be done. I can't do that or I simple will use bmp files from Dragoon, and Horse and Musket Greates Battle of Eighteen Century. Won't look perfect but still it is better than nothing.
Changes....
Magnus

Post by Magnus »

Yes I´ll see what I can do about these, no problem :)
/Magnus
Sumter

Post by Sumter »

I am pleased to see a bit of life on this forum. I really hope work will continue/resume on new versions of the game.

Does anyone know if or how well the game functions on Windows 8?
PrinzHenrich

Post by PrinzHenrich »

I find someone who would like to try draw Russians unit. Hope he will try.
Changes....

Return to “Horse and Musket: Volume I, Frederick the Great”