President FDR Knew About the Attack in May?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Footslogger

President FDR Knew About the Attack in May?

Post by Footslogger »

This clip has shown that FDR indeed knew about the attack as early as May 1941. And that Admiral Kimmel and General Short were completely let out of the information that FDR knew. What say yee?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUKEVoK4XMg
jmalter

RE: President FDR Knew About the Attack in May?

Post by jmalter »

i say it's nonsense.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Footslogger

What say yee?
warspite1

No.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
slinkytwf

Post by slinkytwf »

Poppycock conspiracy theory.

c.f., "And I was there"; Pearl Harbor and Midway--breaking the secrets. (1985); Layton, Edwin T.; Naval Institute Press
Shellshock

Post by Shellshock »

What say yee?

I'd say that YouTube is about the last place I'd go for any sort of deep historical analysis. I've noticed that the conspiracy theorists can never explain how FDR managed to get Hitler to inexplicably declare war on the US a few days later, thus painlessly getting us in the European war without a major fight in Congress.

Unfortunately for the conspiracy theorists, the old tired saw, "he musta been in on it" doesn't work it's usual magic in this case.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Shellshock

What say yee?

I'd say that YouTube is about the last place I'd go for any sort of deep historical analysis. I've noticed that the conspiracy theorists can never explain how FDR managed to get Hitler to inexplicably declare war on the US a few days later, thus painlessly getting us in the European war without a major fight in Congress.

Unfortunately for the conspiracy theorists, the old tired saw, "he musta been in on it" doesn't work it's usual magic in this case.
warspite1

Shellshock you are so naive - they were part of the same conspiracy of course..duh...

Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

ORIGINAL: Shellshock

What say yee?

warspite1

Shellshock you are so naive - they were part of the same conspiracy of course..duh...

Yup. Ambrose was the first to uncover this in his multi-volume, "Conspiracies that I Uncovered, cuz I's Super Clever" series. This was covered in volume 2: "Tojo was a girl and FDR Knew THAT too."

fodder

Post by fodder »

This clip has shown that FDR indeed knew about the attack as early as May 1941. And that Admiral Kimmel and General Short were completely let out of the information that FDR knew. What say yee?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUKEVoK4XMg

Not in May, but...................
melspence_MatrixForum

Post by melspence_MatrixForum »

It's a load of small round things used for playing tennis with
Mel
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Revisionist crap....
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Commander Stormwolf

Post by Commander Stormwolf »

whether president roosevelt had warnings or not, he was certainly glad pearl harbor happened

sort of like president netenyahu after sept 11

coincidence?

"No Enemy Survives Contact with the Plan" - Commander Stormwolf
decaro

Post by decaro »

Supposedly Hoover was warned by the Brit spy who was the inspiration for Fleming's 007, but Hoover dismissed it because he disdained the agent's lavish lifestyle.
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Commander Stormwolf

....he was certainly glad pearl harbor happened
warspite1

I suspect glad wasn't the first emotion that FDR felt when he heard that 2,000 + of his fellow countrymen were dead, many more injured, his battleships sunk or badly damaged and the Philippines under attack - with no visible means of halting that invasion....

But then, if the conspiracy theorists are right, then of course he would be glad, because he got the war he wanted and, by definition, he would have been a mass murdering psycho who couldn't give a toss about ordinary American lives.

Why does this rubbish persist??

Bill Durrant

Post by Bill Durrant »

ORIGINAL: Joe D.

Supposedly Hoover was warned by the Brit spy who was the inspiration for Fleming's 007, but Hoover dismissed it because he disdained the agent's lavish lifestyle.

On this note just published - "Ian Fleming and SOE's Operation Postmaster" by Brian Lett. He talks about certain characters who he believes were the inspiration for 007. Have to admit though, the author is a friend of mine.
Sunk by 35cm/45 1YT Gun - Near Singapore
Commander Stormwolf

roosevelt was more concerned about the 6 million of his countrymen in the gas chambers
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

roosevelt was more concerned about the 6 million of his countrymen in the gas chambers
warspite1

What countrymen? Are you referring to the 6 million Jews? in gas chambers in December 1941? I'm Confused [&:]

Commander Stormwolf

yep. i'm half jewish

flags come and go, just rags created by men - our secret is we put our own people first

Commander Stormwolf

you need to understand how it was back then,

my grandfather was a professor, he got killed by the nazis

the rest of the family paid our way out, germans may have been racist but they needed money like anyone else

House Stark

Post by House Stark »

These conspiracy theories are rubbish, for one simple reason: Even if FDR knew the attack was coming, he had to know that it would force the US into the war regardless of how much damage was done. And FDR wanted to get in the war to win it, not to see his fleet wrecked at Pearl and unable to do anything. Americans weren't going to be any less outraged about the Japanese surprise attack if it was less successful. If FDR and/or other high ranking Americans had known, they probably would've had Pearl better prepared and more alert. I imagine it could've been done without looking too much like an attack was expected. Even something as simple as more ships at sea at all times, more aircraft patrolling, stuff that wouldn't look too out of place.
slinkytwf

Post by slinkytwf »

Roosevelt reportedly dressed down one of his advisors or cabinet members (I *think* it was Morgenthau) when they pressed him over the very slow US response to the ongoing Holocaust. I'm remembering reading about this a long time ago, and I don't have a link. But based on what I remember, I got the impression that this was not a primary motivation for Roosevelt, and in fact, he pushed back against it, being uncharacteristically rude toward the individual. Someone else with a better memory and time to scour the Internet may have a more substantive link for you. (For the record, one of my close friends' extended family was almost eradicated during that period, and I also take it very seriously.)

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”