Installing as Stand-alone

Scourge of War is the definitive American Civil War grand tactical wargame of this generation. With impressive 3D graphics, an award-winning AI, pausable real-time play, historical battlefield terrain and orders of battle down to the regiment and battery level, Scourge of War captures the tactical challenges that faced the real Union and Confederate commanders more than 130 years ago.

This forum covers the main game Gettysburg and its two expansions Antietam, Pipe Creek, and Chancellorsville!

Moderator: MOD_ScourgeofWar

benpark

Installing as Stand-alone

Post by benpark »

How do you install SoW Chancellorsville as a separate entity? I have all the other games, so I would like to have it in a different folder so I may see the linked campaign (rather than the Gettysburg one). As seen here:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/images/ ... ath63m.jpg
"Fear is a darkroom where the devil develops his negatives" Gary Busey
Grim.Reaper

RE: Installing as Stand-alone

Post by Grim.Reaper »

Glad you asked this....I was unaware there was a stand alone campaign. When I installed, it really did not give me an option to install separate, although maybe if I would have chosen a different directory, maybe that would have done it.
benpark

Post by benpark »

It looks like it defaults to the Gettysburg one- maybe it's just making a new folder. I'll wait for official word first.

I hope that there will be a separate "campaigns" tab in the future for those of us that must keep them all in one default folder.
Grim.Reaper

Post by Grim.Reaper »

ORIGINAL: benpark

It looks like it defaults to the Gettysburg one- maybe it's just making a new folder. I'll wait for official word first.

I hope that there will be a separate "campaigns" tab in the future for those of us that must keep them all in one default folder.

Agreed....otherwise defeats the purpose of even having the option to install in one place.
Grim.Reaper

Post by Grim.Reaper »

I tried installing in different directory and did not work. It put the files in the separate area, but did not appear to install all the files, just the content. Couldn't run it as a separate program. I then looked inside my Gettysburg game and it didn't even list CV as an option. Therefore, seems like it might auto detect during install and force you to combine it. Hoping I am wrong and someone will correct me.
Garnier

Post by Garnier »

I installed it on a computer that had had gettysburg installed some time in the past, but no gettysburg files were left.

It installed just the chancellorsville content -- so I guess that if you have any gettysburg registry entries still, it will not install chancellorsville as a standalone.
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
LittlePowell_NSD

Post by LittlePowell_NSD »

That's right, Chancellorsville was designed to be a standalone for new customers and an add-on pack for existing customers. The only thing you are missing if you install as a map pack is the scenario selection screen. Everything else is exactly the same.

I think the only way to get it to work as a standalone with Gettysburg also installed, is by deleting all the Gettysburg registry entries, installing Chancellorsville stand-alone, then re-installing Gettysburg. And I don't recommend this if you aren't comfortable with editing the registry. You could potentially mess up both installs, or worse.

Edit for type-o. Whats a moth install? [:D]
NSD Map/Scenario Lead
JiminyJickers

Post by JiminyJickers »

Any chance of adding the scenario selection screen back in for people owning Gettysburg?

That screen really adds to the atmosphere, especially if you're like me, and don't know the geography of the region.
Grim.Reaper

Post by Grim.Reaper »

ORIGINAL: JiminyJickers

Any chance of adding the scenario selection screen back in for people owning Gettysburg?

That screen really adds to the atmosphere, especially if you're like me, and don't know the geography of the region.

I would tend to agree as well. Since we paid the same price for those that can use it (if they don't have Gettysburg installed), I would think this should be an option to us as well. Otherwise, maybe this should have been sold at an "add-on" price ($19 like Antietam) for existing Gettysburg owners. I do realize this is not earth shattering by any means, but would be nice to have consistent bells and whistles.
LittlePowell_NSD

I agree that this would be a nice touch for the expansion (and even for the other map packs, especially Antietam). It just goes outside of the scope for the expansions, and would require a lot of design changes to make it work. I will make a note of this though in our bug/feature system, and hopefully it can be considered for a release or patch.

In the meantime, I'll look into posting an image of the screen with the scenario numbers showing. Would anyone be interested in having this?
NSD Map/Scenario Lead
benpark

Post by benpark »

Thanks LP, yes- that would be appreciated.
Blaugrana

Post by Blaugrana »

+1 for the 'flarepath' intro screen.

I was going to suggest that future map packs / games have one of these as I prefer it to the plain list of battles. Then I discover that CV does have one, but only if you're buying it as a standalone. I agree it's a small detail, but a shame that those of us buying it as a map pack actually get a little bit less for the same money as those buying it as a whole game.
LittlePowell_NSD

NSD Map/Scenario Lead
e_barkmann

Post by e_barkmann »

oh man, wish I had the stand alone version now! :) A vote for this screen to be added into the add-on version please.
Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo
Blond_Knight

Post by Blond_Knight »

ORIGINAL: Chris Merchant

oh man, wish I had the stand alone version now! :) A vote for this screen to be added into the add-on version please.

I have to agree. It gives better perspective on the battle than can be had from just the "Additional scenarios" screen.
Norb

Post by Norb »

Adding the scenario selection screen into GB would change a lot of code. We had a hard time figuring out how exactly to add the map packs and there are a lot of limitations that we found with the current design. As this game is focused around modding and adding new content, we're learning new stuff as we go. Originally they were going to be released like mods, but then we wanted them to stand out more. So we added the additional battles screen, but then they are loaded all the time. No way to turn their content on and off. So that severely limited what we could do with them.

Although it is possible to install both on the machine, it is not easy given the way the installer works. It's searching for reg keys to see whether or not you have GB installed and then just defaults to map pack or stand alone based on what it finds. To install as stand alone if you already have gb installed, and I haven't tried this, you would have to rename the reg keys (matrix and norbsoftdev), then install. Once it's installed you would have to copy the new content from the reg keys under the old keys. Delete the new keys and rename the old keys back. Yes, I realize it's a hack, but it's something that we didn't foresee people wanting to do. Our main focus was on making sure that you could MP between the games.
Blond_Knight

Post by Blond_Knight »

Norb, What about a scenario selection screen thats html? I remember Promsim over at Shrapnelgames used to do their releases with a html scenario selection screen with some minor flash animations.
JiminyJickers

Post by JiminyJickers »

Would uninstalling Gettysburg and installing CV first work? If not, can the installer be changed to give the option for a stand alone install? If not either of those, can you at least release instructions on how to get them to work separately?

If I'm honest, this is currently stopping me from buying the expansion. Its probably a bit over-dramatic, but I do feel like we are being punished for owning Gettysburg.

Don't get me wrong, I will still eventually buy the expansion when it is a bit cheaper perhaps. For this price, I want all the bells and whistles. Selecting the scenarios from a list definitely detracts from the other expansions I already bought.
e_barkmann

Post by e_barkmann »

Well I would be more concerned if the screen also tracked and displayed high scores like it does for the Gettysburg game. However, I am not quite so concerned as the poster above, and have simply printed out the screenshot, and that's doing nicely for the moment and all is well with the world.

Sounds like inclusion is going to be tricky and I'd rather the guys focus on in-game dev than chrome, if that is the choice.

cheers
Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo
budd

Post by budd »

I haven't bought the expansion yet either, i'm not much of a early bandwagon jumper. From what i've read on both forums if you uninstall gettysburg including cleaning the registry of any trace of it, you can install chancellorsville as a stand alone product. Which is what i will probably do after i'm done with gettysburg. I understand what they were trying to do, but looks like it isnt coming off as planned. Wonder what happens when you install chancellorsville first then gettysburg.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Return to “Scourge of War Gettysburg Series”