Does "Crossover" work?

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

aoffen

Does "Crossover" work?

Post by aoffen »

I am currently running AE on my iMac using a copy of XP running via VM Fusion and everything works fine. Have been reading about a product called crossover that allegedly allows you to run Windows programs on a Mac without having Windows and some sort of VM ware like Fusion installed. Sounds good but was wondering if anyone out there is actually running AE on a Mac using Crossover? Would be interested in feedback if you are.
Cheers
Andrew
RogerJNeilson

RE: Does "Crossover" work?

Post by RogerJNeilson »

I had a look at it. Allegedly is the best way of putting it. Digging deeper the actual programme you want to run has had to be reworked to run in crossover - and from memory whilst this is possible to do its not easy. Thus popular ones with a huge user base have had the work done and seem to be ok using crossover, on the other hand a very niche thing like AE is never likely to get the 'geeks' to look at it - so unless you want to accept the challenge its not very likely.

I am a total Mac devotee, but recently have had numerous annoyances with running AE within a virtual OS on my Mac and have now resurrected a very old Windows Laptop purely for the game.

I doubt if there are many games where a user will set up a different OS on a different machine purely to play a game....

Roger
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
CaptDave

Post by CaptDave »

ORIGINAL: Roger Neilson 3
I am a total Mac devotee, but recently have had numerous annoyances with running AE within a virtual OS on my Mac and have now resurrected a very old Windows Laptop purely for the game.

I doubt if there are many games where a user will set up a different OS on a different machine purely to play a game....

This game and the software I need to run my business are at least 95% of the reason I haven't switched to LINUX (the MAC may be good, but I'm allergic to proprietary systems).
aoffen

Post by aoffen »

Thanks for the info. Sounds like I am better off leaving well enough alone.

Return to “Tech Support”