Bring me the head of Diego Garcia...and the Mayor of Addu Atoll too!

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

sprior

RE: Robusto Havana

Post by sprior »

I'm 6'4 but back in my 20s was a sveldte 180lbs.
"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

ORIGINAL: moore4807

Fascinating...
Thanks for the explanation, Of course my being 6'3" and 250 lbs in my youthful days would have precluded me enjoying those delights... I once had a chance to try to go into a WWII submarine on display at Baltimores Inner Harbor. After two attempts getting my shoulders through the hatch, the guide kindly whispered to me " Sir, your holding up the line" which was my cue to smile and stand next to the conning tower til the crowd passed and I could escape down the gangway...

Much the same happened to me once but it was because of my head.
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

ORIGINAL: spriorThe escape tower has hatches top and bottom. open Bottom hatch, person goes in. Shut bottom hatch. Equalise pressures (using LP air). Open top hatch. Close top hatch (from inside submarine. Drain tower. Repeat.

Yikes! What do they do if there is a code brown in the escape tower?
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

ORIGINAL: sprior

Another game of spot the tank:

Fairly thick side armor compared to that last one.
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

So, I am at this medical conference this morning in Newport Beach. Nice hotel. Good speakers. I learned a lot. The coffee is good. The weather is perfect. Beautiful bamboo garden. Great day all around. It's break time so I go outside to call the phone company and, naturally, I am on hold on my cell with music and ads. There is another attendee, a woman, outside texting on her phone. Don't know her. We never talked. We are maybe about 8 feet away from each other.

A 20 something babe walks by in her workout outfit. She is wearing one molecule thick tights which have been hand-sewn on Saville Road to reveal every anatomical detail, which in this case was another blessing on a perfect day. In celebration of this miraculous confluence of aesthetic splendor I find myself saying, "Oh man! Nice ass!"

You know how people talk too loud when they are on their cell phone? Well, I guess I do too. The other woman gets up suddenly walks right in front of me and gives me the "you ******* pervert" look.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

So, I am at this medical conference this morning in Newport Beach. Nice hotel. Good speakers. I learned a lot. The coffee is good. The weather is perfect. Beautiful bamboo garden. Great day all around. It's break time so I go outside to call the phone company and, naturally, I am on hold on my cell with music and ads. There is another attendee, a woman, outside texting on her phone. Don't know her. We never talked. We are maybe about 8 feet away from each other.

A 20 something babe walks by in her workout outfit. She is wearing one molecule thick tights which have been hand-sewn on Saville Road to reveal every anatomical detail, which in this case was another blessing on a perfect day. In celebration of this miraculous confluence of aesthetic splendor I find myself saying, "Oh man! Nice ass!"

You know how people talk too loud when they are on their cell phone? Well, I guess I do too. The other woman gets up suddenly walks right in front of me and gives me the "you ******* pervert" look.
Don't feel embarrassed. She only said that because it's true! [:D]
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Don't feel embarrassed. She only said that because it's true! [:D]

I wasn't really embarrassed...it was more amusement. [:)]
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

Bloody 'ell! It says we are not supposed to say "bloody".

Along the same line, the term "GI bag" for British women consorting with American GI's hardly seems very PC. I thought that was part of Lend-Lease.
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

*************22;40, Feb. 15, 1943(c), Aboard USS SC-709, 40 nm NW Sorong**********

Gunner's Mate First Class Kowalski: ...Damnit, Rodriguez, can't you write without talking out loud?

Gunner's Mate Second Class "Chico" Rodriguez: It's the way I learned it.

Gunner's Mate First Class Kowalski: Well, keep it quiet then.

Gunner's Mate Second Class "Chico" Rodriguez: Okay, tell me if you see something. <Goes back to writing> "See, what happened, mom, is some Jap battlewagons showed up yesterday afternoon and fought it out with our bigger ships while we got underway. Now, we got sent back to check our tail. I hope we don't find anything but just in case I wanted to say that Julio can have my guitar if I don't make it.."

Gunner's Mate First Class Kowalski: Rodriguez, if you don't make it what makes you think your guitar is going to make it?

Gunner's Mate Second Class "Chico" Rodriguez: I have my St. Christopher medal taped to the inside. He's the patron saint of sailors. My brother Julio gave it to me.

Gunner's Mate First Class Kowalski: Rodriguez, you ever hear what happened to St. Christopher?

Gunner's Mate Second Class "Chico" Rodriguez: No, but I'm sure it must have been good.

Gunner's Mate First Class Kowalski: You think so?

Lt. Kermit Kansas Pugh, CO: ENEMY DESTROYERS AND CRUISERS DEAD AHEAD! I'M COMING AROUND! WE'RE GONNA CROSS THEIR "T" BOYS! MAIN BATTERY PREPARE TO FIRE!

Gunner's Mate First Class Kowalski: Main battery? Who the **** is he trying to kid? RODRIGUEZ, GET UP NOW AND GET READY TO LOAD.................
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

***********************Feb 16, 1943(c)*********************

Ambon: This little burg was bypassed as you may recall. JJ snuck some damaged subs in. Evidently they must be pretty banged up. This won't help. [:)] We still have LB-30 squadrons attacking lightly defended targets. Even some B-18's flying ASW at Horn Is. Using the heavies aggressivley has a down side.

Morning Air attack on Ambon , at 76,109

Weather in hex: Moderate rain

Raid spotted at 24 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 8 minutes

Allied aircraft
B-17F Fortress x 6
LB-30 Liberator x 2

No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
SS I-170, Bomb hits 1, heavy damage
SS I-16, Bomb hits 2, and is sunk

Port hits 2
Port fuel hits 2
Port supply hits 1
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

Tai-elanden: Isuzu shows up again North of Ternate in the Sundas/Mindanao gap...it probably has a name but I forget what it is called. I don't know what they are doing. Maybe landing troops by fast transport? Maybe they were tasked to attack Sidate or Ternate but chickened out?

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Talaud-eilanden at 82,96

Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid detected at 17 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes

Allied aircraft
SBD-3 Dauntless x 17

Allied aircraft losses
SBD-3 Dauntless: 4 damaged

Japanese Ships
CL Isuzu
DD Akizuki
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

Burma: JJ goes after the Chindit Brigade again. A bit bigger CAP this time. Probably we should equip one of the P-40 squadrons in Burma with the newly arrivign P-38H?

Morning Air attack on 77th Chindit Brigade, at 63,41 (Warazup)

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid spotted at 40 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 12 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 32
Ki-49-IIa Helen x 45

Allied aircraft
Sea Hurricane Ib x 5
Hurricane IIc Trop x 4

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Sea Hurricane Ib: 1 destroyed
Hurricane IIc Trop: 1 destroyed

Allied ground losses:
35 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

Let's see..did I miss anything?
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

If that workout suit really was that thin, nope![:D]
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Grollub

Post by Grollub »

Did the guitar make it?
“Not mastering metaphores is like cooking pasta when the train is delayed"
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Did your phone have a camera?
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Bloody 'ell! It says we are not supposed to say "bloody".

Along the same line, the term "GI bag" for British women consorting with American GI's hardly seems very PC. I thought that was part of Lend-Lease.

Yeah. "Up Brittania" what what.
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

ORIGINAL: Grollub

Did the guitar make it?

**************22:45, Feb 15, 1943(c)**************

Gunner's Mate First Class Kowalski straddles a section of wooden hull. He takes one last look around the debris and then begins to paddle toward the nearest island. His paddle is a 1934 Gibson.

Night Time Surface Combat, near Sorong at 82,107, Range 8,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Atago
CA Aoba
DD Kiyonami
DD Samidare

Allied Ships
SC-709, Shell hits 1, and is sunk

Improved night sighting under 89% moonlight
Maximum visibility in Partly Cloudy Conditions and 89% moonlight: 11,000 yards
CONTACT: Allied lookouts spot Japanese task force at 10,000 yards
Range closes to 8,000 yards...
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 8,000 yards
Pugh, K.K. crosses the 'T'
CA Aoba engages SC-709 at 8,000 yards
CA Atago engages SC-709 at 8,000 yards
Range closes to 7,000 yards
CA Aoba engages SC-709 at 7,000 yards
SC-709 sunk by DD Kiyonami at 7,000 yards
Ijuin, Matsuji orders Japanese TF to disengage
Combat ends with last Allied ship sunk...
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

At this conference yesterday, "Big Pharma" had booths set up to sell their stuff during the break.

Thanks to Michael Moore the days of golf vacations on Maui are gone, I can tell you. [:D]

It was really pitiful. They can't even give out pens now. Even so, pediatricians, especially the Asian women for some reason, are so cheap they were fighting over the fiber snacks at one exhibit. [:D] I arrived late and the breakfast stuff was gone. I saw one chick with 3 yogurts in her purse. It was like lunch break on the Bataan death march.

You would NEVER see plastic surgeons or even cardiologists demean themselves like that. [:)]

I had to leave the tent.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

At this conference yesterday, "Big Pharma" had booths set up to sell their stuff during the break.

Thanks to Michael Moore the days of golf vacations on Maui are gone, I can tell you. [:D]

It was really pitiful. They can't even give out pens now.[:)]
Yeah but I've heard the salesladies wear one-molecule thick bikinis and - you get the idea.

Return to “After Action Reports”