Distant Worlds: Shadows

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

unclean

RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows

Post by unclean »

ORIGINAL: Evrett
Erm..I have no interest in any of these features. How sad.
Unfortunate dude. I'm more excited for this than Legends!
ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
- Improved AI and new comprehensive difficulty settings
I know there's no promises at this point, but I wonder is this is the much requested resource slider?
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

ORIGINAL: Igard
I like the idea of having pre-hyperspace civilizations in the game. Pirates and smugglers sound good, but I've already had enough one smuggler, goes by the name of 'Data'. He has a liking for my Romulan Ale stash.[;)]
Data has been keeping a low profile of late... [:(][&:] I have told my guards to keep an eye out though.
Boarding parties, I wonder if I can mod this to become a transporter party, rather than an assault pod. Just thinking out loud here.[8|]
That is a good point. But IGard, you would know this better than I, would there not be some kind of transporter countermeasure during combat. To coin a phrase from one of our many Star Trek versus Star Wars battles...

Ground combat improvements sound ok. Gonna be a headache making tank images for my Trek mods. They don't seem to use much armour. I agree with Ash and Haree about nerfing the bombardment. Something needs to be done there.
I have found plenty of Klingon and Romulan armor, but seriously, never anything about Federation tanks...
Attachments
imagesCAIMF9CI.jpg
imagesCAIMF9CI.jpg (7.17 KiB) Viewed 497 times
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

This was just a quick scan of the old FASA stuff...
This was from Termination Order 1456; that had a couple of other ground units as well.
FASA also produced a ground combat module as welll

This was a Klingon Tank...
Attachments
imagesCAUL76OK.jpg
imagesCAUL76OK.jpg (9.94 KiB) Viewed 494 times
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
Simulation01

Post by Simulation01 »

"pre-hyperspace"

Does this mean that you will introduce alternative faster than light travel modes for the different races....like wormholes, jumpgates, and jumplanes?

Also, what about planetary construction, Dyson Sphere's, Ring World's...those are long sought after additions by me and others? Will those be introduced? I think they could really be integral when contemplating space based civilizations?

BTW..the expansion sounds very intriguing...keep at it and don't let the storm get ya down (though I know that's hard...I went through Hurricane Opal as a kid and spent a couple of weeks living in a third world state).
"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will." -Tennyson
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: tjhkkr
I like the idea of having pre-hyperspace civilizations in the game. Pirates and smugglers sound good, but I've already had enough one smuggler, goes by the name of 'Data'. He has a liking for my Romulan Ale stash.[;)]
Data has been keeping a low profile of late... [:(][&:] I have told my guards to keep an eye out though.
Boarding parties, I wonder if I can mod this to become a transporter party, rather than an assault pod. Just thinking out loud here.[8|]
That is a good point. But IGard, you would know this better than I, would there not be some kind of transporter countermeasure during combat. To coin a phrase from one of our many Star Trek versus Star Wars battles...

Ground combat improvements sound ok. Gonna be a headache making tank images for my Trek mods. They don't seem to use much armour. I agree with Ash and Haree about nerfing the bombardment. Something needs to be done there.
I have found plenty of Klingon and Romulan armor, but seriously, never anything about Federation tanks...

hehe, you do realize that beaming that photon torpedo will be problematic, being that ISDs have both ray and particle shielding that is always active, right? [;)]

Edit: Even with spellcheck and I still can't spell, LOL. [8|]
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
feelotraveller

Post by feelotraveller »

So maybe smuggling Natarran Incense is back on the agenda.  [:D]

It all looks very interesting.  [:)]

Ralzakark

Post by Ralzakark »

ORIGINAL: feelotraveller

It all looks very interesting.  [:)]

+1

I've played DW since its first release and each expansion has added to my enjoyment of the game. Looking forward to this one. The new ground rules will be welcome and the background sounds intriguing.
Ossipago, Barbatus, and Famulimus
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: feelotraveller

So maybe smuggling Natarran Incense is back on the agenda.  [:D]
Remember to save some for my upcoming Birthday Bash in December! [:D]

(Can't wait to see how the ship/station boarding activities work out!)
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
solops

Post by solops »

I think the ground combat complication is a move in the wrong direction. The AI does a poor job now. Adding to the complexity will make it even less competitive as well as increasing player micromanagment. 

I realize I am in the minority on this. So, if this is going to be the implementation, I'd like to be able to mod the game or change it during setup so that bombardment does not damage reputation any more than invasions, or perhaps even disable invasions.

It is certainly easy to glass a planet. Hell, we can do that now without true spaceflight. Invasions don't make much sense unless the planet has the same species.

And yeah, I'll buy the expansion to get some of the improvements, but I'd like the option to configure the game to avoid some of what I consider to be the sillier parts or even just to vary the type of game I play.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.-Edmund Burke
Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; if it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Judge Learned Hand
Raap

Post by Raap »

I don't mind ground combat improvements per se, but it's such a small and frankly rather uninteresting part of the game that I'd much rather the development time be put elsewhere. So kinda meh at that feature.

The rest sounds great though. Can't wait to see how space-based factions play out. There's some real potential there, though it's all in the execution I think. Hopefully the AI will be able to cope with it too, both in terms of being a space-based faction and in terms of fighting against a space-based faction. Any hints as to how resource and cash management will be for those factions? I suppose the resource part could be kept mostly the same( with a heavy focus on cargo bays in the ship/base designs to compensate for lack of planetary storage), but unless you now allow ships and bases to have actual populations in them, I'm kinda interested in how you plan to replace tax income and the research aspects.

Also, can we have larger maps? And maybe a bit more game options( global hyperspace speed and fuel usage multipliers?).
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
- Assault pods and ship to ship or base boarding actions, including ship and base capture
- New expanded Ground Combat with new troop types and an animated ground battle resolution screen
---- Infantry, Armor/Mech, Special Forces, Planetary Defense Units (multi-layered)
---- Resolution of the multiple stages of a planetary assault
---- Expanded troop experience
---- New Ground Combat technology tree
- Expanded and improved Area Weapons

StarFighters and area weapons will become much more important with assault pods roaming all over the place.
Keeping lighter defended vessels like AWACs destroyers/Frigates away from the enemy will be all the more important. I have had to sacrifice troop modules and and the like to fit that bulky long range sensor pallet on a ship.
I forsee new tactics...

And Special Forces...
Embrace your destiny; Join delta squad. Four - oh, a simple uncomplicate soldier. Six two -- the Heart and soul of your unit. Oh seven -- the fiercest hunter of them all.
Excuse me... got a little carried away there...
Kobracan

Post by Kobracan »

Great news!

I have to be honest: independent races don't excite me much but detailed ground combat and AI improvements are exciting. I'll be buying it the day it comes out!

Even though I said independent races don't excite me much, you know what would be cool? If you could start as an independent race or pirate and after satisfying some conditions (after a lot of work) you could turn into an empire and continue the game as a regular empire. That would give a sense of accomplishment and extra incentive in playing these independent races. I hope that is possible.

Looking forward to the expansion!
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

A few questions that have not been asked or mentioned,

A. Is it an expansion needing the others to work, like Legends?
B. Or is it a stand alone exapansion with all the others included? (Not likely but thought I would ask)
C. What is the price range, same as Legends? Asking as I would like to get it and would like to start putting pennies aside.
D. Will the race portraits be updated? IMHO they should have been updated in Legends, a variant for each character type of the race, leader, general etc.

Darkspire
Yskonyn

Post by Yskonyn »

Well this is a valid question/concern;
In order to make the game easier on the wallets of new players (which we obviously cannot have enough of!) it would make sense to make it available in some kind of bundle deal or in a standalone version (with perhaps a discount for those already having the game).
Nobody is going to shell out premium price for the base game and all its expansions in one go.
Yskonyn -

Desktop: Intel i7 9700K @5.0Ghz, Nvidia RTX3080Ti, 32GB RAM, Win 11 64bit
Laptop: Acer Swift 3 Intel i7 1065G7, Nvidia MX350, 8GB RAM, Win 11 64 bit.
Dracus

Post by Dracus »

I hope that the minor races are actually new races and not just minor parts of the existing races,
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

ORIGINAL: Simulation01
Also, what about planetary construction, Dyson Sphere's, Ring World's...those are long sought after additions by me and others? Will those be introduced? I think they could really be integral when contemplating space based civilizations?
+1
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens
Bison36

Post by Bison36 »

Really looking forward to this expansion. Impressive list of new features.
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

Okay here is a big question?

Will we get a cool contest like last time?
I trully had fun reading all the cool ideas people had?

Maybe pirate faction names or get to name a new weapon... [:)]
Rtwfreak

Post by Rtwfreak »

Improved AI and new comprehensive difficulty settings

I want to know "exactly" what you did to "improve" the AI. It's all too easy to make a blanket statement like that and no real improvement even exists. So please in "detail" tell us how you improved the AI.
Mad Igor

Post by Mad Igor »

ORIGINAL: Rtwfreak
Improved AI and new comprehensive difficulty settings

I want to know "exactly" what you did to "improve" the AI. It's all too easy to make a blanket statement like that and no real improvement even exists. So please in "detail" tell us how you improved the AI.
they grew tentacles.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”