The War for Survival - M60A3TTS vs Saper222

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

M60A3TTS

RE: Turn 1

Post by M60A3TTS »

The 57th Tank Division assigned to STAVKA was in a reserve state and not frozen. I don't recall ever seeing units frozen in that area before.
Harrybanana

Post by Harrybanana »

Really, my experience in all my games is that the 57th tank division (yes it is assigned to STAVKA) is always frozen in place (ie 0 mps) on the first turn. I thought maybe it was activated in your case because he ended his turn with a unit only 3 hexes away. In my case I think he converted a hex within 3 of the unit, but his nearest unit was 4 hexes away. I'll have to check when I get home from work.
Robert Harris
sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

ORIGINAL: Harrybanana

ORIGINAL: M60A3TTS

[

I have now received my first turn from Saper and, in my opinion, he has slightly improved on his above opening aginst you, particularly in the south. For example he has already captured not only Rovno, but also Proskurov.

Looking at the screen shot above it looks like you were able to move the 57th tank division which is usually frozen 5 hexes ESE of Rovno. How were you able to do this?

I used to be able to do that opening but I thought that had been stopped by T1 rule changes a while back. I haven't played as german for a while so have not tested it. I thought I saw a recent AAR of Michael T's where he scaled back from this after the rule change but no doubt he can correct/confirm if he reads this.

It would appear rule changes did not do a good enough job. M60 is no noob, and it is taking the piss a bit if germans can still do this sort of thing; Pelton please note - but I see that he has..................
web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?
M60A3TTS

RE: Turn 11

Post by M60A3TTS »

Well he's making me feel as though I'm in noob school again. [;)]

Maybe I'll give him something to think about if he bombs Stalingrad again. 150 fighters on two bases are now waiting nearby.

The STAVKA Strategic Reserve is being held back near Saratov despite the need for front line divisions.

smokindave34

Post by smokindave34 »

I've never seen anything quite like this. The closest thing was when Michael T pushed me all the way back to Stalingrad in '41 - but that was a while back when muling was still allowed. Even then I don't believe he was at Rostov on turn 11! And with infantry as well!
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Under the most up to date version of the game such advances are possible if you throw every LB and Transport at one PzGp (and use them for nothing other than refuelling) and rotate Pz Cp HQ's (a form of chaining, but more involved) in a complex and AP hungry method. But I don't see how it could be maintained for so long on so many axis' of advance. I cannot explain it.

The opening in the south is possible. It is the scaled back version. Albeit an inefficient one.
forsyth

Post by forsyth »

It's most likely from using most of the Luftwaffe for refueling like Michael T said. Check out these turn 10 screenshots from a current game.

Attachments
FA010a.jpg
FA010a.jpg (439.06 KiB) Viewed 99 times
forsyth

Post by forsyth »

second shot

Attachments
FA010b.jpg
FA010b.jpg (429.26 KiB) Viewed 99 times
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: Michael T

Under the most up to date version of the game such advances are possible if you throw every LB and Transport at one PzGp (and use them for nothing other than refuelling) and rotate Pz Cp HQ's (a form of chaining, but more involved) in a complex and AP hungry method. But I don't see how it could be maintained for so long on so many axis' of advance. I cannot explain it.

The opening in the south is possible. It is the scaled back version. Albeit an inefficient one.

Not sure thats even possible MT. If you look at rail head and where units were (turn 8), the airbases would be out of reach of supplies also. To be withen 20 Mp's, the distance from the airbase to front line HQ's is to far to beable to drop enough supplies to matter.
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
randallw

Post by randallw »

Suppose you can trying bombing the Luftwaffe HQ's? ( if you agreed to allowing HQ bombing )
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

Same goes for forsyth screen shot, airbases are far past railheads. Planes dont have the fuel to fly more then a single mission, in M60 game your talking next to Rostov turn 8. Which only means 7 turns of rail conversion.

Even with muling ect before .13 I was able to just make Stalino with a single raiding panzer unit, then follow up with more on turn 8 to clear a path to it.

Up until this screen shot, I beleive I was the only AAR posted that had anyone getting to Stalion on turn 7.

After .13 its easyer? Just doesn't fly in my book as possible after .13 and sht even before very hard.

Also next to Moscow turn 8? The best I have seen was several guys next to Moscow on turn 9 before .13.

M60 is a solid SHC player also, so its not like he let GHC just run wild.

Whats going on is hardly even possible doing muling/airbase depots ect ect, under current .13 ruleset its not possible.

Its kinda like when you play someone and they win 18-0 battles in 1942 as SHC for 6 turns in a row.

18-0
13-0
19-0
15-0
17-0
21-0

I am stupid, but not that stupid.

Beta Tester WitW & WitE
sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

@ M60 I hope you play the next game ( if you still want to play him again) on the server. It can be accessed from Russia so you can allay any concerns Saper has about that
web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?
gingerbread

Post by gingerbread »

M60: Why not simply ask Saper222 how he is doing it?
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

This is simply ridiculous. I would give up. And yes, at least Saper is doing something positive: something should be fixed.
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
M60A3TTS

Collapse

Post by M60A3TTS »

Well I held out a couple more turns than Speedy.

Moscow was surrounded and the rail to Leningrad cut. He's pretty much gotten around 75-80% of my army.

I've offered to surrender as there's no point continuing.

How he's doing it, I don't know. Using the Luftwaffe as a flying gas station is the right strategy when the ground units already have such a superiority in combat values. Adding them to ground support missions is almost superfluous.
M60A3TTS

RE: Collapse

Post by M60A3TTS »

After moving a few units...

Leningrad

Moscow

forsyth

Post by forsyth »

Regarding Pelton's comment about airbase distance from railhead:

Level bombers can only fly one resupply/refuel mission per turn anyway, right?

Baelfiin

Post by Baelfiin »

I dont think it matters where your airbases are in relation to the railhead anyway for flying fuel and supply somewhere else
"We are going to attack all night, and attack tomorrow morning..... If we are not victorious, let no one come back alive!" -- Patton
WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha
The Logistics Phase is like Black Magic and Voodoo all rolled into one.
Harrybanana

Post by Harrybanana »

ORIGINAL: forsyth

Regarding Pelton's comment about airbase distance from railhead:

Level bombers can only fly one resupply/refuel mission per turn anyway, right?

forsyth,

In reference to your screen shots above showing your German forces by turn 10 at or near Rostov and Tambov, would you be willing to give more information on how this was done? Was it really accomplished by just the extensive use of the Luftwaffe for refueling or were their some other tricks you're willing to share? Was the game played aginst the AI or a human opponent? If the latter was he competent? How were you able to overcome the problem of the level bombers only being able to fly one resupply mission per turn, or was this a problem? Were the aircraft themselves flying from bases more than 20mp from a railhead? If so was this a problem? Were you making similar progress from Moscow north using the same tactic, or were you limited to just just being able to do this in one area? Is there any way your opponent could have prevented this? Since I am now up against the same thing myself any advice you can give would be appreciated.
Robert Harris
forsyth

Post by forsyth »

The game is against a human.

I have done 4 buildups (only 1 for 1st Panzer Group and that was around turn 4). The level bombers work even with only 1 mission because there are so many more of them than Ju52s.

I try to keep the airbases within 10 hexes and 25mp of railheads for maximum supply but you have to go further as the front moves. By turn 10 the airbase supply/fuel levels in unit have fallen to 50-70%. The missions were flown from lots of different airbase supply distances. I have often thought it is sort of silly how a unit can have little fuel but if in the same hex as an airbase with plenty of fuel the planes can transfer it fine (very inefficiently) but the unit at the airbase couldn't get it otherwise. On the flipside, how much fuel/supply should an airbase be able to carry around?

My progress in the north is as good or better.

Regarding stopping it I will say this far from the railheads the pace is brutal to maintain. I have ideas on what to do though :)

Return to “After Action Reports”