Can one save in multiplayer?

Scourge of War is the definitive American Civil War grand tactical wargame of this generation. With impressive 3D graphics, an award-winning AI, pausable real-time play, historical battlefield terrain and orders of battle down to the regiment and battery level, Scourge of War captures the tactical challenges that faced the real Union and Confederate commanders more than 130 years ago.

This forum covers the main game Gettysburg and its two expansions Antietam, Pipe Creek, and Chancellorsville!

Moderator: MOD_ScourgeofWar

schmolywar

Can one save in multiplayer?

Post by schmolywar »

Let say you play one of the full campaigns in multiplayer. Can one save the game and play later?
"The Russian advance over this hastily improvised road, constructed with the aid of the most primitive facilities, was, for a time,accompanied by the strains of band music.".

-Peculiarities of russian warfare
Garnier

RE: Can one save in multiplayer?

Post by Garnier »

You can save during a multiplayer game, and then load the savegame in singleplayer later.

But you can't launch a multiplayer game using a saved game.
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
schmolywar

Post by schmolywar »

Hmmm, Ive noticed this in almost all interesting games on the market.

Is this very hard to implement for some reason? Surely this would be a must in MP. Or are people only playing short skirmishes?

Why not take the operational aspect into MP? Development time issues?
"The Russian advance over this hastily improvised road, constructed with the aid of the most primitive facilities, was, for a time,accompanied by the strains of band music.".

-Peculiarities of russian warfare
Garnier

Post by Garnier »

It doesn't implement itself.

Most MP games are between one and two hours long. Saving a larger MP game would be pointless often, since next time you play, there would be a different group of people available.

If you play a two player long scenario, yeah it would be nice to save. But the vast majority of man-hours of MP are more than two players, so far. I suppose there are other things that are easier to implement and are more important.
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
Norb

Post by Norb »

There is a way to 'kind' of do what you want, but I haven't looked into it for a while. You can create a scenario during a game or even from the saved game and then you can launch the new game from the scenario. Saved games have a ton of info that is just not sent across during init and it would be a big effort to get it all right. But there are ways, and I'm sorry I can't remember them now, to save the locations of forces and create the scenario from the current situation. Our designers use this for troop placement.
ETF

Post by ETF »

ORIGINAL: Garnier

You can save during a multiplayer game, and then load the savegame in singleplayer later.

But you can't launch a multiplayer game using a saved game.
WTF?

Why?
My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter
https://twitter.com/TacticWargamer

Return to “Scourge of War Gettysburg Series”