War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

bradfordkay

RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A)

Post by bradfordkay »

ORIGINAL: Cribtop

Hehe, GO Gamecocks!!!

Yeah, right back to their mid-season dive... and the Bulldogs are back in the driver's seat for the SEC East title once again after taking out the hated Gators. Go Dawgs!!!
fair winds,
Brad
1EyedJacks

Post by 1EyedJacks »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

1) I don't think PzH had his dreams set on playing a strong defense. He is very aggressive. For some reason, he decided to stop his attack long before he should have/had to. At least, I think so. As with most aggressive players, he may not enjoy playing a drawn-out defensive game. I think that's the reason for his lack of interest in the game (not Real Life matters, though that may have contributed at an earlier point). Steve probably decided he didn't have a good shot at auto victory, so that he felt he had to go on the defensive. I think he had a shot, but I'm not positive.

2) I continue to believe that an experienced, gifted and aggressive IJ player in Scenario Two has a strong shot at auto victory. I can think of at least two players who, IMO, would have a very high probability of scoring an auto vic against me. That may be because of my style of play and the flaws included therein. The thing is, an IJ player would probably have to sacrifice long term health (IE, his prospects for a good defense should auto-vic fail so that the game went on into '44 and thereafter) in order to have a strong shot at it. Under the right conditions - IJ player with that mentality against an Allied player of my ability and typical "soft defense" strategy - auto vic is a distinct possibility. I think PzH had set things up very well to test out this theory, but decided to call it off. I wish he had gone for it. :)

In truth, the entire Japanese strategy in real-life was based on something very similar to an auto-victory. Hit the Americans so hard and scare them so bad that they'll just cede over any interest in their region of the world. Instead, as Adm. Yamato feared, they only succeeded in helping to awaken a slumbering giant.
TTFN,

Mike
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Georgia beating Florida makes the season. It really does. Tech? Who cares. Auburn? Who cares. Tennessee? Who cares. South Carolina? Right. Gators? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Last weekend, Steve and I cordially exchanged emails about the status of the game. I invited Steve to resign. I encouraged him to resign. He declined to resign. He asked how often I needed turns. In a show of good sportsmanship, I told him - after thinking things through - that there were no expectations. He could send them whenever he wanted to.

And that's the last time I heard from him. No turn. No email saying no turns coming. No nothing.

Very soon now I will unilaterally declare this game over.

P.S. For those thinking, "Well, you said 'no expectations,'" it is implied therein some reasonable minimal courtesy and activity. Steve's conduct is beyond mystifying at this point.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
GreyJoy

Post by GreyJoy »

Last weekend, Steve and I cordially exchanged emails about the status of the game. I invited Steve to resign. I encouraged him to resign. He declined to resign. He asked how often I needed turns. In a show of good sportsmanship, I told him - after thinking things through - that there were no expectations. He could send them whenever he wanted to.

And that's the last time I heard from him. No turn. No email saying no turns coming. No nothing.

Very soon now I will unilaterally declare this game over.

P.S. For those thinking, "Well, you said 'no expectations,'" it is implied therein some reasonable minimal courtesy and activity. Steve's conduct is beyond mystifying at this point.

[:(]

And I miss Canoerebel...promise me that if this game ends you won't stop playing! Promise!!
denisonh

Post by denisonh »

CR,if you expect a turn soon, say so. If you leave it open ended then your communicated expectations are met when nothing is forthcoming. Am I missing something?
"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC
zuluhour

Post by zuluhour »

another notch in the belt, albeit a cheapy....
Cribtop

Post by Cribtop »

Oddly, we USC types had to pull for Georgia to retain any hope. Then Lattimore happened. Sigh.

As for the game, if it ends that's a shame, but is probably a de facto concession by PJH.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy
...promise me that if this game ends you won't stop playing! Promise!!

I'm not going anywhere. This is the only game for me - at least for another decade or two. But I do think I'm going to take a sabbatical for awhile. I just can't imagine starting another game - all the patience, all the logistical work, all the planning and preparation that it takes to get the Allies ready to go later in '42 - wondering if my opponent will disappear for any of a variety of reasons. I'm temporarily burned out.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy
...promise me that if this game ends you won't stop playing! Promise!!

I'm not going anywhere. This is the only game for me - at least for another decade or two. But I do think I'm going to take a sabbatical for awhile. I just can't imagine starting another game - all the patience, all the logistical work, all the planning and preparation that it takes to get the Allies ready to go later in '42 - wondering if my opponent will disappear for any of a variety of reasons. I'm temporarily burned out.

Play the Japanese in AI. Get burned out in a whole new way!
The Moose
princep01

Post by princep01 »

'Tis a shame; it really is.  This was a very interesting game given your opponent's early thrust to the North.  I'm sure it has been done in prior  games, but it is the first time I have seen it in an AAR.  I was really curious where it would go.  I hope that you will encourage your opponent to post in here and explain what his plan was if the game is cashed in.

CR, on a personal note, I am sorry this has happened to you in recent games.  It is a big time investment and a shame when your opponent just leaves you high and dry after months of play.

Oh, and one more thnig.  He is another potential opponent I will never play.
corbon

Post by corbon »

Just because you know what you implied, does not mean that someone else knows what you implied. You failed your communications here just as much as he has. Implications do not always carry over the same between cultures (surely your opponent is not "southern gentleman"?), especially when something is stated in black and white, and neither do 'expected courtesies'.

If you quit this game without at least another round of communications where you say what you mean, you will returning an assumed discourtesy with a deliberate discourtesy. At least based on what you've said here so far.

I don't disagree personally with your expectation. I'm just saying, until you square things away properly from your side, the wound is self inficted. You've gotten exactly what you asked for.

And yes, I'm biased towards seeing this game continue. [8D]
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

Bummer.

Are there any marriage counselors in the audience?
Miller

Post by Miller »

It takes seconds to construct an email to say "Sorry busy this weekend, next turn Monday" or "Might be slow going for the next couple of weeks due to work" etc. PJH cannot even be bothered to do that. Pity all your effort into this game has gone to waste.
SqzMyLemon

Post by SqzMyLemon »

Sorry to hear CR. I know you prefer the Allies, but have you thought of trying Japan to give yourself a new challenge and fresh outlook, not to mention open up a whole new range of prospective opponents to play?
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

I think corbon has a good point CR! Send PjH a note and let him know how you feel. [:)]

Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

There is always possibility that some other forumite will pick up the game if given the password.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

Yep, I know all of CR's plans from his considerable ramblings.

Only problem is I'd have to play the JFB side.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
Skyros

Post by Skyros »

Seasons not over yet! Go Cocks!

CR hate to see this end was enjoying it very much.
ORIGINAL: Cribtop

Oddly, we USC types had to pull for Georgia to retain any hope. Then Lattimore happened. Sigh.

As for the game, if it ends that's a shame, but is probably a de facto concession by PJH.
princep01

Post by princep01 »

Well, it appears the patient is well and truly dead.  Is it time to make it official?

It is a great loss to the Forum and the community that supports it.

Return to “After Action Reports”