Distant Worlds Game Speed

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

jscott991

Distant Worlds Game Speed

Post by jscott991 »

Am I mistaken or did the game used to be able to be sped up to faster than 4x speed?

I am trying to return to playing this game, but it is just going too slow for me to get into it.

If you can't speed it up faster, then I probably won't get the expansion packs after all.
Modest

RE: Distant Worlds Game Speed

Post by Modest »

I am almost sure that there was never ever any possibility to speed it up more than 4x.
Tehlongone

Post by Tehlongone »

I'm patient enough that it doesn't bother me much, but I'd like the option for faster game speed, I believe my desktop could handle significantly higher speeds.
Dracus

Post by Dracus »

it has always been 4x speed only. I personally think that each speed setting was slowed a little cuase normal speed to me seems to run a little slower than it use to.
jscott991

Post by jscott991 »

The game is much slower than I remember. I played this game for hours and hours earlier in its release history, but I can't stand to play it now. It simply moves way too slow, and I now have a much faster computer.

It really needs a faster setting or they need to change how fast 2x and 4x run.
JosEPhII

Post by JosEPhII »

And I wish it was Turn based too. ;)

JosEPh :D
"old and slow.....Watch out!"
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

You guys think its too slow, and I'm the opposite, I think at times the game moves to fast even on 1:1 time.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
jscott991

Post by jscott991 »

You can always slow the game down by pausing whenever you like.

Currently, there are no options to speed it up. I wonder what you are doing in the early game that requires it moving it slower than 1:1. I have absolutely nothing of importance (beyond stupid monster hunting; why can't they give me the option to remove all silly space monsters from this game?) to do most of the early game.

It simply moves too slow. Look at Paradox's grand RTS games for a comparison.
Ralzakark

Post by Ralzakark »

ORIGINAL: jscott991

...why can't they give me the option to remove all silly space monsters from this game?)

There is an option to do this, introduced in Return of the Shakturi (?).
Ossipago, Barbatus, and Famulimus
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

My whole point is that the speed at which the game moves is completely subjective.
Distant Worlds Fan

jscott991

Post by jscott991 »

Yes, but again, if anyone thinks it is too fast, they can pause more frequently and play on the slowest setting. This is not a reason to not have faster settings available for those that want them.

If you think it's glacially slow (and it is compared to any EU-based game from Paradox), there is nothing you can do.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

You can speed up to 4x. Some games only give you 2x, some give you no time compression.

I just can't imagine anyone wanting to play this game faster than 4x, I never use time compression at all.
Distant Worlds Fan

Jeeves

Post by Jeeves »

After the first year I play at 1/4x and STILL get multiple messages before I can hit pause.

Lonnie Courtney Clay
Live long and prosper!

Lonnie Courtney Clay
Gareth_Bryne

Post by Gareth_Bryne »

When we speak of messages, we definitely need a better filter system...
"Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts," - Londo Mollari

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”