A brief update...

This exciting new release is a faithful adaptation of the renowned Conflict of Heroes board game that won the Origins Historical Game of the Year, Charles Roberts Wargame of the Year and the James F. Dunnigan Design Elegance Award, as well as many others!

Designed and developed in cooperation with Uwe Eickert, the original designer of Conflict of Heroes, and Western Civlization Software, the award-winning computer wargame studio, no effort has been spared to bring the outstanding Conflict of Heroes gameplay to the computer. Conflict of Heroes includes an AI opponent as well as full multiplayer support with an integrated forum and game lobby. To remain true to the core gameplay of the board game, the PC version is designed to be fun, fast and easy to play, though hard to master. The game design is also historically accurate and teaches and rewards platoon and company-level combined arms tactics without overwhelming the player with rules.

Moderator: MOD_WestCiv

hugi

RE: A brief update...

Post by hugi »

Any news ... the waiting is so hard! come on ... give us 1.6 or some candy.

please! [&o]
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi everyone,

We were on the verge of release when Eric had a fairly disastrous system crash. He's getting back up and running, but it will likely be another week before we can get the intended release candidate to the internal test team and then get it out to the public.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Jamm

Post by Jamm »

Bummer,..
When the going gets weird,... the weird turn pro
Hunter S Thompson

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jamm-wor ... =bookmarks
steveuk

Post by steveuk »

I'm also keeping a watchful eye on this title. I take it the game is quite similar to Avalon Hill's Squad Leader? If so I will definately purchase once the update is ready.
It is well that war is so terrible; else we would grow too fond of it.
Robert E. Lee (1807-1870)
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

After a complete hard drive fail my development system is mostly up and running again; I was able to make a full rebuild of COH last night at 2:30 AM. I still have some tools to finish reinstalling, and after that I should be back in action again very soon.
Talon_XBMCX

Post by Talon_XBMCX »

ORIGINAL: ericbabe

... I was able to make a full rebuild of COH last night at 2:30 AM ...

The sign of a true developer ... 2:30am is still last night [;)]

Best wishes for a speedy re-install!

JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you know what's been going on behind the scenes. Eric and I have been coordinating on a much more significant update based on your 1.6 feedback. Among the things that this includes:

1. Super high quality boardgame map options, effectively the same resolution as the board game maps themselves. These look fantastic even when zoomed in. There will now be a Low resolution (1.6 equivalent) Medium resolution (4x the resolution of 1.6) and High resolution (16x the resolution of 1.6) option for the boardgame maps. These can also now be turned on and off with an in-game option. The higher resolutions require a decent video card because of the amount of video memory required - old cards will have to settle for the lower resolution options.

2. Anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering within the new high resolution counters. This makes them look very sharp and makes the numbers much more readable even when zoomed out. These combined with the high resolution board game maps give you something that looks pretty much exactly like the tabletop version.

3. Ability to play multiplayer with beta versions as well as official releases. The version a player is using will be reported next to their name in the lobby and a warning will be given if you are running a different version from your opponent.

4. Multiple other graphical and usability improvements.

5. Full implementation of the Classic AP system (this is part of the preparation for Storm of Steel, which is scheduled for Q1 2013, but we'll be making it available to all COH owners.

There will also be a new demo available once this update goes official. At that point we're really hoping to get everyone in the computer and board game world to take a second look at COH. Your help spreading the word at that point will be much appreciated! We're doing our best to listen to our community and give you what you want to make this the definitive digital COH.

Regards,

- Erik
Now you're talking.

I dropped out of testing (my apologies again eric) because I just didn't get the Conflict of Heroes feel. I realise this came from the designer - but I just wasn't playing Conflict of Heroes...and I said so, apologised and left.

But this sounds great. The computer version of this boardgame needed to mimic the boardgame. Everything about the boardgame was what I loved about it.

I'm glad it'll be getting that boardgame feel back. When the new demo is available I will be all over it and if it gives me conflict of Heroes on the PC - it'll most definitely be a buy from me.

I'm glad to see Eric and Matrix have stuck by this and have been listening too - a sign of a good company[&o]
Alba gu' brath
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

I'm still enjoying the 3D choice over the chits and board maps. Glad there is a choice and hope they continue to add 3D models.

What a WWII game needs is mid-late war with big tanks. Second is Westerners like to play with Western allies. Grogs love East Front but casual gamers like Hollywood's version of the war.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."

Return to “Conflict of Heroes Series”