Case blue, deducter(Soviets) vs ruinmmonkey

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: Vic

deducter

Case blue, deducter(Soviets) vs ruinmmonkey

Post by deducter »

Turn 8 July 12 1942

This is my first time playing against another opponent in this game, although I do have much experience with other strategy games in general. My first few turns in the game involved a general retreat, but I also launched very fierce counterattacks whereever possible with my tank forces. I managed to destroy several German motorized regiments of the 1. Panzer Army during the opening days of Case Blue. Nevertheless, I am forced to withdraw gradually. C&C failure in the first few turns resulted in most of the 40th Army getting trapped and pocketed.

I also was not very familiar with the unit creation/HQ reassignment system. It seems that generally, assigning a unit from a more popular to a less popular commander cost pp, is this true? Regardless, I had serious pp issues at the beginning when swapping commanders/reassigning units, but by this time I was doing much better and had mostly sorted out my command issues.

The previous turn was also mud, and these two turns of mud very much helped my defenses and slowed down the German advance.

Voronezh Sector The defenses are solid here, with the 13A and 5TA holding the area around the city.

Ostrogoshk Sector: I have a 4-prestige order to hold the city until 16 July.

Rowenku Sector: I have a 4-prestige minor order to hold the city until July 12 (this turn), which I should be able to do with no problem. Last turn the Germans tried to use weak infantry forces to encircle my defenses around Rowenku. I launched strong counterattacks using a tank corps and have counter-encircled elements of a German infantry divisions. I know the German mobile divisions are further north and that there there is a very low chance of the Germans breaking out. I expect the my opponent to transfer some panzers to the region. I also start to transfer two additional tank corps (although one is quite weak, most units around 40% integrity) to the region along with every independent tank brigade I can find.

Voroshilovgrad-Kamensk Sector: I am determined to do my best to protect the northern rail-link to Rostov. The German mobile troops are not exploiting the open plains towards Kamensk but are bogged down by my defenses in the hills and across the Donetz river.

Rostov Sector: I am determined to hold onto Rostov for as long as possible. As long as I control the Schachty-Nowocherkask region, this should be doable. German mobile divisions are bogged down by the myriad rivers here.

While I have suffered a lot of losses, I have also inflicted significant damage on my opponent's ground units. My policy of aggressive counterattacks have cost me a lot of men, but I've blunted the German spearheads quite a bit.

Despite playing defensively, I lost a lot of fighters to the Germans, who have absolute air superiority and are not likely to lose it anytime soon.
deducter

RE: Case blue, deducter(Soviets) vs ruinmmonkey

Post by deducter »

Turn 9 July 14 2012

North of Voronezh the Germans have launched a massive attack over the Don River. I order a withdrawal to the Voronezh River.

The Germans try to break out of their pocket near Rowenku with no success. However, their attempt left them vulnerable to an even large encirclement, and German mobile troops are nowhere in sight. I order an attack to encircle and destroy the German relief forces.

Rowenku: After the attack, elements of two German infantry division have been completely wiped out. Thousands of German troops become Soviet POWs.

I think my opponent grossly misjudged the number of troops I had in the region, and using infantry to attempt an encirclement was not a good idea. However, if he had about 2 panzer divisions to the north and 2 to the south of my defenses around Rowenku, he could probably have succeeded in pocketing a large number of units.

Near the Kamensk sector a German infantry corps has exposed itself trying to sever the Kamensk - Schachty rail line. Its closest support troops are the Italians, who have already been weakened from several previous German counterattacks. Plans are made for another counterattack here.

The Germans try to advance towards Schachty, but their forces are hampered by the numerous rivers in the area. Soviet counterattacks once again isolate a German infantry division. However, assuming the nearby panzer division is in good order, their forces should be able to escape, although not without losses.

Return to “After Action Reports”