A Lemon rises in the East: SqzMyLemon (J) vs. JocMeister (A)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

SqzMyLemon

Game and non-related musings.

Post by SqzMyLemon »

Slow day at work.

I posted some time ago in the war room concerning the number of Ops losses I've suffered. I'd like to pass on that Ops losses are starting to decrease after implementing a number of suggestions. I've been standing down air units with high airframe fatigue and increasing rest % for active units. These two actions seem to have made an immediate impact.

The amount of air support I provide at a base is always enough for the number of aircraft, but it was brought to my attention that the fatigue % of the support units has a direct bearing on air operations. I will monitor this as the game progresses and determine if keeping the fatigue levels low further reduce my Ops losses.

Economy wise I'm still running a fuel/oil/resource deficit in Japan. Granted, my transport network isn't fully set up yet, but I need to start increasing the numbers arriving across the board. My primary resource extraction ports in Asia are Hong Kong, Shanghai, Keijo and Fusan. Fusan so far is the lowest in terms of stockpile never having more than 12k at the port daily. Hong Kong, Shanghai and Keijo however all have stockpiles over 100k. Drawing from Shanghai is the most productive at the moment.

I'm bringing in resources from Hokkaido. Shikuka has a small number of dedicated TF's extracting oil and resources for transport to Hokkaido. Hakodate is then the primary port for exporting to Honshu.

More to follow...
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
PaxMondo

RE: Game and non-related musings.

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon

Slow day at work.

I posted some time ago in the war room concerning the number of Ops losses I've suffered. I'd like to pass on that Ops losses are starting to decrease after implementing a number of suggestions. I've been standing down air units with high airframe fatigue and increasing rest % for active units. These two actions seem to have made an immediate impact.
Good news!!

[;)]
Pax
SqzMyLemon

Singapore Falls!

Post by SqzMyLemon »

5 February 42:

Malaya:

The big news today was the fall of Singapore...finally. Japanese bombers targeted enemy ground troops today to cause as much disruption prior to the shock attack. It paid off as there was a (-) disruption modifier to the defenders. AAR follows:

Ground combat at Singapore (50,84)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 91837 troops, 935 guns, 564 vehicles, Assault Value = 2492

Defending force 38513 troops, 381 guns, 250 vehicles, Assault Value = 599

Japanese adjusted assault: 3681

Allied adjusted defense: 685

Japanese assault odds: 5 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Singapore !!!

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
S.19 Singapore III: 1 destroyed
Buffalo PR.I: 1 destroyed

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), disruption(-)
Attacker: shock(+)

Japanese ground losses:
3228 casualties reported
Squads: 6 destroyed, 175 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 33 disabled
Engineers: 44 destroyed, 41 disabled
Vehicles lost 16 (2 destroyed, 14 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
21551 casualties reported
Squads: 960 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 4142 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 215 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 445 (445 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Vehicles lost 332 (332 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units destroyed 32

There's no chance of recuperation for Japanese forces though. They will immediately move on Sumatra and Java. Minesweepers are moving to clear Singapore's harbour and engineers will repair the airbase and port. Air units in Malaya will stand down for a few days to reorganize prior to beginning the air campaign to establish air superiority over Palembang and Batavia.

China:

Chinese units breaking out from Tsiaotso launch a river assault today and suffer heavy losses, but not as many as I had hoped. My failure to clear this hex of enemy troops quickly prevented me from moving west to ensure the Chinese could not open the west hex side. Jocke will be able to move thru my forces and escape. Poor game design, but it is what it is. AAR follows:

Ground combat at 86,42 (near Loyang)

Allied Shock attack

Attacking force 5346 troops, 43 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 1572

Defending force 38548 troops, 310 guns, 534 vehicles, Assault Value = 1394

Allied adjusted assault: 0

Japanese adjusted defense: 6127

Allied assault odds: 1 to 99

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+)
Attacker: shock(+)

Allied ground losses:
7537 casualties reported
Squads: 357 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 282 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 14 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 41 (41 destroyed, 0 disabled)

Assaulting units:
2nd Chinese Cavalry Corps
76th Chinese Corps
80th Chinese Corps
27th Chinese Corps
36th Chinese Corps
93rd Chinese Corps
98th Chinese Corps
1st War Area
Jingcha War Area
36th Group Army
14th Group Army
39th Group Army

Defending units:
10th Tank Regiment
32nd Division
5th Tank Regiment
15th Division
35th Division
11th Tank Regiment

The fact the enemy will escape to Sian means there will be no early capture of this base. I will capture Yenan while I await airbase expansions in the region. In the meantime, I will shift forces to the Changsha area to take advantage of smaller concentrations of enemy troops that I can defeat in detail.

In other news, Chinese forces around Nanchang realize the danger of entering the clear terrain hex east of the base and instead are now moving S.W. to stay in good defensive terrain. I will move to counter. This force I don't plan on letting escape.

New Guinea:

CL Nagara and four DD's sink an enemy AM and two xAKL's at Port Moresby today. Mini-KB was not needed and remains undetected east of Buna.

Thoughts:

Jocke has confessed to exploiting hex side control in China to allow his forces to escape from encirclement. There's not much I can do about it and I don't blame him for doing so. This feature of hex side control is not one I'm impressed with. It allows exactly this type of maneuver. I was aware of this though and tried to counter, I just wasn't able to close the door.

With the fall of Singapore, I can finally get moving against Allied strongpoints. I definitely need to deal with Palembang and get fuel/oil flowing to the Home Islands.

More to follow, especially some screenshots to bring everything up to date visually.

Note:

February is starting out well in terms of weakening China's ground forces. In only five days, I've already reached the magic 350 Chinese squads destroyed. Total of the month so far is:

524 Infantry
496 Non-Combat
20 Engineer
47 Guns

fcharton

RE: Singapore Falls!

Post by fcharton »

Chinese units breaking out from Tsiaotso launch a river assault today and suffer heavy losses, but not as many as I had hoped.

Just launch a deliberate attack tomorrow, and you will get this corrected. One thing I have noticed in China (but it is probably a feature of the combat model) is that the "second and third" attacks tend to pay. Always counterattack and pursue when you can, this is usually when you get the big squad losses.
Jocke has confessed to exploiting hex side control in China to allow his forces to escape from encirclement. There's not much I can do about it and I don't blame him for doing so. This feature of hex side control is not one I'm impressed with. It allows exactly this type of maneuver. I was aware of this though and tried to counter, I just wasn't able to close the door.

I believe the hexside control feature makes sense if you consider a hex is 85 km across. Granted, it makes surrounding enemy units a difficult task, but I always thought wargames (especially those using rigid ZOCs and similar features) made it much easier than it was in real life.

You can still use it to your advantage; but you need to plan a lot, and have a very good understanding of geography and movement speed. Around Loyang and Yenan, keep in mind that over rough or desert rough terrain, armored units move 15 miles a day, and you have armored car units, whereas the chinese don't...

Francois
SqzMyLemon

Post by SqzMyLemon »

Hi Francois,

Good points about the hex side control issue, but it's all good. I knew what to do to counter, but the Chinese were able to hold the hex longer than anticipated and I couldn't close the route off. It's the way the game has been designed, and I realize you either complain about it or work with it. I plan on working with it.

As to a counterattack, not sure I can do that. I'm overstacked in the hex by 5k worth of troops and the river assault put my supply in the red. I'm sure the Chinese are in even rougher shape and may be overstacked as well. One thing to consider though, Jocke moved two fresh Chinese Corps into the hex from the west prior to the river crossing. They may be enough to stop a rout. There are still four Chinese units that haven't crossed the river yet, but they are indicated as moving S.W. It may be an effort to try and cut me off instead.

I think I accompished what I could. I failed to close the trap and it's time to bypass these enemy units and threaten flanking Sian. I stick to the plan of wearing down the Chinese without destroying them and force them to fight on ground of my choosing.

obvert

Post by obvert »

If there is a new map the would be great. I'm having trouble visualizing, but your plans sound solid from a semi-disoriented viewpoint. [:D]
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
SqzMyLemon

Post by SqzMyLemon »

ORIGINAL: obvert

If there is a new map the would be great. I'm having trouble visualizing, but your plans sound solid from a semi-disoriented viewpoint. [:D]

I know, I've been lazy this time around [>:]. A map or two will clear everything up. I think I was waiting for Singapore to fall and used that as an excuse to slack off. [:D]

With Singapore now under my control, I'm going to start documenting fuel/oil/resource flow of the major bases along the Singapore-Fusan route, much as I did last time. I'll see if I can get things moving this time around.

I'll also start providing my R&D info and why I'm choosing to produce certain aircraft. With PDU on, I still plan on building more fighter types than just the Frank and George. I want to see what their capabilities are and how they perform in different roles. For me, PDU on is more about having the flexibility to customize my air force rather than being shackled to a historical OOB.

So, I promise Erik, maps soon. [8D]

SqzMyLemon

Totally off topic - an early Christmas

Post by SqzMyLemon »

As my finances took a beating while doing some recent house renovations, I thought what a better time to add to the debt load by ordering some historic figures. They arrived yesterday, the same day the renovations finished, so it seems like good karma to me. I love getting packages, especially of models. i ordered four figures from various periods of history. A Zulu Warrior of 1870, a Roman Vexillifer, a 17th Century Duelist and a mounted Napoleonic Dutch Lancer. As you can tell, I have varied interests covering all periods of historical figures.

My entire model building has been disrupted for almost 2 months now. All my painting supplies have been tucked away in a spare room inconvienently blocked by furniture and bookshelves. So all my current projects have been on hold. I'm looking forward to getting back at things, but now I'm wrestling with the urge to renovate my office/hobby room.

I have a closet that is used strictly for storage and I've had the idea to turn it into a display area for finished kits. This will entail removing the existing poorly done shelves, clothes rod, patching the walls and repainting the entire room. So I think I just added another few weeks delay until I get back to modelling. It's amazing how starting a renovation of a basement may in fact lead to an entire makeover of much of our dated, 1970's bungalow. They say you don't need money to be happy, but it sure helps in other ways. I sense a lot of OT in my immediate future.

Sorry for the digression, work is slow and this is where my mind is at these days. The next turn is away and it should be uneventful. I think the only thing on the dance card is a deliberate attack ordered against Taung Gyi. Two infantry regiments will assault Balikpapan by river crossing from Samarinda in a few days and KB is rendezvousing with the Wake Island invasion force at Truk.

Screenshots will be provided tonight.

SqzMyLemon

Another game issue

Post by SqzMyLemon »

We've run into another snag. Apparently, a British CV did not move off-map as Jocke had intended way back around the middle of January and before he was aware of the problem the CV had entered the map, out of fuel and steaming for Singapore. The home port is listed as Batavia. I haven't picked up the CV with search, because all my aircraft were focused on Singapore and am unclear of the base Jocke has said he's disbanding the ship in. He's asked for a chance to get fuel to the CV and repair some flotation damage that currently sits at 65%.

I'm not sure how to deal with this situation to be honest. The timing is brutal for me. Since I've just captured Singapore it's imperative that I begin my operations to capture Sumatra and land on Java. I have to wait a few days for Singapore to be clear of mines anyway, but I'm going to have to order LBA to guard against naval attacks and they could inadvertently strike the CV if within range. First I need to know exactly what port the ship will be disbanded in, then I can react accordingly.

I understand Jocke has his mind elsewhere and am willing to cut him a lot of slack. This is another big whoopsie though that was missed. I'll wait to find out exactly what the situation is before I issue my next orders. I don't know what kind of an impact it will have yet, I just hope it won't affect my current operations drastically.

Just waiting to hear back from Jocke as to what he intends on trying to do. As you can tell, I'm rather confused about the situation and don't know where the CV currently is and what port it is near, although he says it is west of Singapore.

SqzMyLemon

RE: Another game issue

Post by SqzMyLemon »

Ok, the CV is at the base south of Medan, Tand something or other. This shouldn't cause me too much trouble then since I'll be focusing on getting to Palembang and Batavia. The tricky issue will be LBA and the range I can set to cover against enemy naval interdiction.

SqzMyLemon

Strategic Musings

Post by SqzMyLemon »

Another slow day at work, so I sit pondering my next moves.

I'm beginning to question my planned operation against Australia for a number of reasons:

I don't believe a strat bombing campaign can be successful unless you cross the reinforcement trigger line. The number of bases north of the line within range of Australian industry are few and can easily be shut down by Allied 4E's.

Is destroying Australian units in my best interest? Right now the restricted divisions are extremely expensive PP expenditures to buy out, if they are destroyed they will become available for a fraction of the cost. Yes, the replacement rate is slow, but I suspect it being a boon to Jocke to buy these units out cheaply.

Fuel. It's going to require a lot of fuel and with the status of Palembang's oil facilities in question, I may find I won't have the excess fuel available if the production capacity is trashed after capture.

Will the Allies commit naval assets in the defence of Australia?

Is the delay caused to the Allies enough to justify the large fuel and supply expenditure to Japan? Are the troops better served strengthening the perimeter rather than conducting offensive operations over ground they can never hold?

I'm asking myself these questions and the more I think about it, I think invading Australia without the intention of capturing it outright might cause more problems then solutions to the strategic defence of the Empire.

Just some thoughts. A lot will depend on how Sumatra and Java go and whether I can defeat a large portion of Allied naval strength over the next two months.

SqzMyLemon

Screenshots

Post by SqzMyLemon »

Here's the first of many planned screenshots to bring the war up to date visually for everyone. I don't have time to edit them in detail tonight, but I will add comments tomorrow in text form.

Northern China:

I'm going to bypass Sian and attempt to establish a bridgehead in the hex 92 miles north of Sian, or the hex directly northwest in clear terrain. I believe the Chinese will withdraw from Sian rather than risk being blocked from the safety of the mountains. I will drive on Lanchow after securing my flank at Yenan.

Stacking limits completely changes China, and I intend on reducing the Chinese in detail. Targeting enemy units with selective bombing should allow me to make a breakthrough.

The position marked 1 on the map is where the Chinese have successfully crossed the river and opened up an escape route. There are four units still east of the river that have not crossed yet.

I will not chase the Chinese into the rough wooded terrain southeast of Sian. Rather all units will flank to the east and drive on Lanchow. Nanyang, Tsiaotso and Kaifeng will be built up to allow a sustained bombing campaign against Sian and enemy units withdrawing into the mountains. The days of death star armies is over in China, maneuver will dictate events now. I like it.

Attachments
NorthernChina020742.jpg
NorthernChina020742.jpg (266.76 KiB) Viewed 38 times

SqzMyLemon

RE: Screenshots

Post by SqzMyLemon »

Southern China:

The Chinese force two hexes east of Nanchang consists of 10 units trying to withdraw to safety. There are five more enemy units unaccounted for southwest of Nanchang in rough terrain which recon hasn't been able to pick up lately. The three enemy concentrations east of Changsha consist of 2-3 units each. There are an additional three enemy units in the woods hex northeast of Changsha. There are five enemy units at Kukong and two units northwest of the base.

I have two divisions at Wuchang that can quickly be reinforced with another three divisions once the railway to Loyang is cleared. There are three divisions and three tank regiments at Nanchang. There is a division and two mixed infantry brigades contesting the hex east of Nanchang with another 4 brigades moving up along the main road.

The plan is to block the enemy from escaping, but then swing past it with the majority of my forces and drive on Pingsiang and then cut the railway to Changsha. Japanese forces from Wuchang will race along the main road and invest Changsha, hopefully mauling a number of enemy units in the process. I'm attempting to cut the Kukong-Hengyang railway, but it seems the Chinese are aware of the danger and attempting to rail north. I'm moving a division to block the Kweilin-Hengyang railway.

It's going to be at least 3-4 weeks before I can move. If set up properly, I believe I can maul a number of enemy units, force them to react to a move against Changsha and may just be able to mass enough strength to punch a hole through their lines and establish a bridgehead over the river.

Attachments
SouthernChina020742.jpg
SouthernChina020742.jpg (241.16 KiB) Viewed 38 times

SqzMyLemon

Post by SqzMyLemon »

Sumatra:

With Singapore captured the focus shifts to Palembang. Djambi was captured by air assault and an infantry regiment was air transported in and is about to capture Benkoelen. Additional ground forces will be air transported in directly from Singapore and operations against Palembang will commence shortly.

Airbases on Bangka are being expanded to level two and four to support sweep and bombing missions against Batavia. Billiton will expand to level two to provide additional sweep capacity.

Every Japanese fighter and bomber in the region will focus on shutting down Dutch airfields to insure air superiority over the entire theatre of operations. This is going to be strictly a naval surface and LBA show.

Attachments
Sumatra020742.jpg
Sumatra020742.jpg (146.58 KiB) Viewed 38 times

SqzMyLemon

Post by SqzMyLemon »

The Celebes:

I don't have the strength to capture Tarakan yet. The Naval Guard units which lack firepower are proving unsuitable for assaulting defended bases. I'll land additional forces soon and bomb the defenders heavily to tip the scales in my favour.

Two infantry regiments are about to assault Balikpapan. Upon capture of the base these troops will deploy against Java and a special BF will arrive to provide a garrison and port support.

Attachments
CelebesSea020742.jpg
CelebesSea020742.jpg (166.44 KiB) Viewed 38 times

SqzMyLemon

Post by SqzMyLemon »

The Banda Sea:

Next target here is Denpasar. Capturing this base will allow me to establish LBA right on Java's doorstep. Deciding to hold off on Darwin, I can use the forces available on Timor for operations against Java and Western Australia instead.

Dutch submarines are taking their pound of flesh, and Japanese ASW is proving to be ineffective while using the Type 95 DC which can't penetrate deep water. Japanese LBA is training up in ASW skill, but are not proficient yet. At least I'm spotting the submarines and can avoid them on occasion.

Attachments
BandaSea020742.jpg
BandaSea020742.jpg (122.46 KiB) Viewed 38 times

SqzMyLemon

Post by SqzMyLemon »

Australia:

Darwin is off the short list for invasion. I'll concentrate on securing Broome and Port Hedland first. Once Horn Island and Broome are captured Darwin is effectively neutralized. I'd like to try and draw more Australian troops north before turning my attention to capturing Darwin.

Attachments
Australia020742.jpg
Australia020742.jpg (172.76 KiB) Viewed 38 times

SqzMyLemon

Post by SqzMyLemon »

Burma:

Ah Burma, I hate Burma.

Taung Gyi fell on Feb. 6th and Japanese forces will now march along the secondary road to Lashio. I'm in no hurry to capture Magwe only to see the oil facilities destroyed by Allied bombers before I can adequately defend the base.

The priority remains to block any chance of Chinese forces receiving support from Burma or India. I am beginning to think operations in India might be beneficial to securing Burma well into 1943. Ceylon is starting to look like an intriguing target. I may try and draw the Royal Navy into battle and remove it from the theatre completely. I have a plan I'm beginning to formulate, but more on that later.

Attachments
Burma020742.jpg
Burma020742.jpg (198.92 KiB) Viewed 38 times

SqzMyLemon

Post by SqzMyLemon »

New Guinea:

Recon indicates Port Moresby is held by three enemy units. I should be able to launch an amphibious assault against the base within a few weeks supported by LBA at Lae, Buna and Rabaul. Horn Island is also on the short list for invasion.

Attachments
NewGuinea020742.jpg
NewGuinea020742.jpg (144.78 KiB) Viewed 38 times

SqzMyLemon

Post by SqzMyLemon »

SoPac:

New Caledonia is now in Japanese hands. Once Wake Island is dealt with, I'll begin preparations to invade Fiji and area. The Allies clearly intend on defending the islands and a steady stream of enemy transports are arriving at Suva.

Attachments
SoPac020742.jpg
SoPac020742.jpg (90.77 KiB) Viewed 38 times

Return to “After Action Reports”