Where have you been hiding this game?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Satosky

RE: Where have you been hiding this game?

Post by Satosky »

Been a long time lurker/fan of DW and thought I'd add in my opinion. This is in my opinion one of the best 4X games out on the market at the moment and I for one believe it deserves much more recognition. The big problem is that the game suffers from a lack of publicity and isn't widely known among many people. Being a major fan of this game I want to see it succeed and grow into something much bigger and awesome but to do that they will need money and and fans. I honestly think that we should make a really interesting review or lets play video and somehow get it featured on a popular website like r/gaming on Reddit or maybe get one of the major game reviewers on youtube to review it. Steam greenlight isn't a bad idea either although it appears many people share a dislike of steam but I believe any publicity of DW is good publicity.

WoodMan

Post by WoodMan »

I found out about DW a couple of years back on the SINS forum. Somebody made a post titled something like "so what do you think of Distant Worlds?" and most of the replies were something like "What on earth is Distant Worlds?" [:D]

I'm very happy with the way things are with the game and the community. Modern online communities have gone down the toilet, I can't stand the BF3 forums, they make me furious, so bad I'm trying not to go back to them anymore, YouTube is the same, ever seen a comment that was not incoherent, insulting or racist in some way? Nope me neither. Call me a boring old fart but I like the smaller community and I like the attitude that smaller companies have towards their customers too.

As for Steam, I'm in the "No" camp but I do have it on my computer and I do use it. It is not that I don't like it, I just find it inconvenient and unecessary. For example, I bought the Walking Dead from TellTale games. Believe it or not is was cheaper on their website than on Steam, also I don't need to start Steam to run it, also I can install it on the family computer which does not have Steam installed. If I had bought it on Steam I would have paid more, needed to have a third party program running to play it and not been able to use it on my other computer.
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
Satosky

Post by Satosky »

I don't really care for having it on steam either as I have many games that aren't on steam as well. My main hope is to spread the word about this game honestly.

Also I believe we saw the same topic on the Sins forum Woodman. [:D]
Blueberry

Post by Blueberry »

Don't have steam... Don't care for it. Love DW. Thanks YouTube. YouTube ...yeah... Don't like it either. Not what it used to be. Seems like nowadays, the average intelligence of the YouTube community is very much similar to severe mental retardation of a dying rat.

About DW though, the game has style and character that is unique and overwhelmingly attractive to any decent strategy gamer. Love it and appreciate the support and the community. Shame that today the majority of games are too dumbed down and simple. Bought xcom a couple of days ago. It is a goog game but represents exactly what I am talking about. Dumbed down a bit. A lot actually. Xenonauts perhaps....we'll see.

[:D]

There...phew...feel much better now.... Who needs a shrink anyway...
Algoritm

Post by Algoritm »

Don't blame the Youtube community, it's only a small minority of silly people that post provocative comments that encourage silly responses.

DW is a game that can't possibly attract that kind of people... I hope [8|]
We seek researchers that find, but find researchers that seek.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

The tone on any forum seems quite negative to me, unless there is a rather small crowd like on this one. Youtube for sure got a large enough crowd.
RaffleSnaffle

Post by RaffleSnaffle »

ORIGINAL: wozza

My philosophy is this. If the game is on steam or if it contains any DRM which requires activation i will not buy it i don't care how good the game is.

Do you consider a cd key DRM? Because you need one before you install DW
RaffleSnaffle

Post by RaffleSnaffle »

I don't get this anti steam stuff.

Matrix would for SURE make positive cashflow if this game was on steam. The market for GOOD 4x games is too small not to make any money.

Plus, steam is good about having sales and makes it simple to recommend this game on steam to all of the people I have as friends on there as well.

Ok that's enough from me! Maybe if there ever is a DW 2 they will be a lot better (and more well equipped) at marketing this series.
wozza

Post by wozza »

ORIGINAL: RaffleSnaffle

My philosophy is this. If the game is on steam or if it contains any DRM which requires activation i will not buy it i don't care how good the game is.

Yes but the difference is i don't have to use a third party app and nor do i need to activate it online. So the CD key isn't a issue.
wozza

Post by wozza »

I don't get this anti steam stuff.

Matrix would for SURE make positive cashflow if this game was on steam. The market for GOOD 4x games is too small not to make any money.

Plus, steam is good about having sales and makes it simple to recommend this game on steam to all of the people I have as friends on there as well.

Ok that's enough from me! Maybe if there ever is a DW 2 they will be a lot better (and more well equipped) at marketing this series.
I don't understand why the pro Steam are trying to push Matrix into having Steam. All you have to do is buy the game from Matrix or GG no third party software needed.

Matrix may may make a positive cash flow and it may not they would be taking a risk using Steam. While they would get exposure the profit margins would be less for Matrix and the developer. Also if they were going to use Steam they also would have to make a non Steam version which means more work for the dev as far as patches are concern.

As i have said before this is Matrix business model they are happy with it and they have loyal supporters. Why fix something when it isn't broken.
adecoy95

Post by adecoy95 »

ORIGINAL: Algoritm

Don't blame the Youtube community, it's only a small minority of silly people that post provocative comments that encourage silly responses.

DW is a game that can't possibly attract that kind of people... I hope [8|]

well thats kinda broad an general attitude towards a community [:-]
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Its a less invasive DRM. Basically, having to use the serial number just once to install the game is a non-issue. That's been in games as far back as I can remember (the old 8086 days). At least DW doesn't hit you for anything when you start the game.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
RaffleSnaffle

Post by RaffleSnaffle »

ORIGINAL: Shark7

Its a less invasive DRM. Basically, having to use the serial number just once to install the game is a non-issue. That's been in games as far back as I can remember (the old 8086 days). At least DW doesn't hit you for anything when you start the game.

True. My point is that steam WOULD broaden the market for this game is all. And help set it up so hopefully, if they make a sequel, it sells better than it would without the first being on steam.

Whether you agree with using steam or not is a separate conversation entirely. My point was that it would generally help the game by making it more known/accessible to more people. I am very much happy with the community we have here though and however Matrix decides to market and sell their game is completely up to them obviously. Just making a case for steam is all. As someone who uses it and enjoys it :)
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

True. My point is that steam WOULD broaden the market for this game is all. And help set it up so hopefully, if they make a sequel, it sells better than it would without the first being on steam.

Whether you agree with using steam or not is a separate conversation entirely. My point was that it would generally help the game by making it more known/accessible to more people. I am very much happy with the community we have here though and however Matrix decides to market and sell their game is completely up to them obviously. Just making a case for steam is all. As someone who uses it and enjoys it :)

As for the advertising, it would be great. Like I said, so long as I can still get my games here without the oppressive DRM measures I'm happy. They can sell it anywhere else they want to so long as I can still get my easy to deal with copy here at Matrix (as well as my physical copy).

And the beauty of the DW community here is even when we disagree, we aren't disagreeable. One of the few places where the nastiness of the net just doesn't exist.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

My 50ps worth [:D]

Like music my games tend to be all different styles and im on quite a few fourms for all sorts of games and one of the main things im always noticing with Steam is the fact that they do something with the save games for the programs sold via there Steam app and with DW you can tend to put lot of hours into a game, maybe months and to then find the save corrupt as has been the case with many Steam bought games would be really annoying, case in point the X series, Albion Prelude and Terran Conflict those two can have saves that go back years and im always seeing corruption issues with saves if they got them off Steam, the disc version is fine, no issues at all. The saves issue is just one of a number of points that ruin folks gameplay, there are others like updating software, mods not working with the version of a game brought, sorry hired, off steam. So no, its not just DRM that folks dont like, I refuse to have anything to do with DRM or Steam and feel that its a wise move unfortunately more and more folks who really dont care what goes into there system are on the rise, with the idea of 'if the PC is broken due to software, who cares, sad but ill just get another laptop or PC and download them again, If I can, from the Steam app' it is a disposable society we live in sadly.

Darkspire
bryanhbell

Post by bryanhbell »

By the way, in the general discussion area on Matrix Games' forum last November, a poster asked about the chances of Matrix selling any of its games on Steam. Here's what Iain McNeil from Slitherine/Matrix Games had to say (source):
Very unlikely - Steam would not be interested in these type of games. They only want cheap mass-market games. Can you imagine War in the East at $80? :) It just wouldn't happen...

A few days later, he said this (source):
...On the Steam arguments we're not convinced that the Steam audience is a good match for the majority of the catalogue. Take in to account also that Steam take 30%, you have to customize your code to use their system which is a significant amount of work for the number of games we're talking about and Steam absolutely require you to slash your prices. Overall you have to sell a lot more copies to just stand still in terms of revenues. It is not the slam dunk that everyone thinks it is. It also fragments the community which has an intangible cost but something we are very aware of and reluctant to do.

Another thing to bear in mind is Steam get 200 submissions a week and only 1 person allocated to review them. I'd guess only about 1% of the games people try to get on steam actually get on steam. The vast majority are never looked at or rejected. I'm guessing the majority of our line up would slide to the "don't even review category" :)

Having said all this it may be something we trial at some point. Never say never!

That last concern has been addressed somewhat by Steam's new Greenlight feature.

I'm not sure what the concern over customizing the code would be. As far as I know, Steamworks (the API that lets developers integrate many of Steam's functions within their software products) is entirely an optional thing. There are many games on Steam that don't utilize it.

The 30% cut, if true, would likely be balanced out by a much larger sales volume. According to Mike Ambrogi, one of the developers of the game Jamestown: "on the first day of the Steam Summer Sale, we earned more money than Jamestown’s entire earnings up to that point times three" (source)

EDIT: I don't know the story behind it, but there is one game on Steam listed as published by Matrix Games/GMX Media: Massive Assault.
Bryan H. Bell
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

ORIGINAL: bryanhbell

By the way, in the general discussion area on Matrix Games' forum last November, a poster asked about the chances of Matrix selling any of its games on Steam. Here's what Iain McNeil from Slitherine/Matrix Games had to say (source):
Very unlikely - Steam would not be interested in these type of games. They only want cheap mass-market games. Can you imagine War in the East at $80? :) It just wouldn't happen...

A few days later, he said this (source):
...On the Steam arguments we're not convinced that the Steam audience is a good match for the majority of the catalogue. Take in to account also that Steam take 30%, you have to customize your code to use their system which is a significant amount of work for the number of games we're talking about and Steam absolutely require you to slash your prices. Overall you have to sell a lot more copies to just stand still in terms of revenues. It is not the slam dunk that everyone thinks it is. It also fragments the community which has an intangible cost but something we are very aware of and reluctant to do.

Another thing to bear in mind is Steam get 200 submissions a week and only 1 person allocated to review them. I'd guess only about 1% of the games people try to get on steam actually get on steam. The vast majority are never looked at or rejected. I'm guessing the majority of our line up would slide to the "don't even review category" :)

Having said all this it may be something we trial at some point. Never say never!

That last concern has been addressed somewhat by Steam's new Greenlight feature.

I'm not sure what the concern over customizing the code would be. As far as I know, Steamworks (the API that lets developers integrate many of Steam's functions within their software products) is entirely an optional thing. There are many games on Steam that don't utilize it.

The 30% cut, if true, would likely be balanced out by a much larger sales volume. According to Mike Ambrogi, one of the developers of the game Jamestown: "on the first day of the Steam Summer Sale, we earned more money than Jamestown’s entire earnings up to that point times three" (source)

Thankyou. I always thought it was Steam that messed with the saves. Now I at least have a little more insight into there policies.

Darkspire
bryanhbell

Post by bryanhbell »

One thing that might be breaking saves is updates. By default, Steam will push updates to your games as developers release them. I think it is somewhat common for developers to release updates that break old saved games. Fortunately, Steam lets you turn off auto-updating on a game-by-game basis.
Bryan H. Bell
RaffleSnaffle

Post by RaffleSnaffle »

As for the advertising, it would be great. Like I said, so long as I can still get my games here without the oppressive DRM measures I'm happy. They can sell it anywhere else they want to so long as I can still get my easy to deal with copy here at Matrix (as well as my physical copy).

And the beauty of the DW community here is even when we disagree, we aren't disagreeable. One of the few places where the nastiness of the net just doesn't exist.

Couldn't agree more :)
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

ORIGINAL: bryanhbell
I found out about Distant Worlds when another player suggested it on reddit. I've done my best to give this game further exposure there by creating a subreddit for the game
Sadly, use of social media as a marketing tool is something that Matrix hasn't gotten to grips with. 931 likes for their Facebook page is a clue as to how well they're using it.
...steam is good about having sales and makes it simple to recommend this game on steam to all of the people I have as friends on there as well.
Erik already addresses this - he negotiated with Steam and declined to enter into a contract with them. Steam being good or bad for marketing is irrelevant. Business with Steam wouldn't benefit Matrix and Code Force, so they didn't sign on the dotted line. As Steam contracts are confidential, anyone praising the benefits of Steam is expressing an opinion without any facts to support their assertion.
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”