Scumbag Game

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Tophat1815

RE: Scumbag Game

Post by Tophat1815 »

I finally understand it now..............ooops[:'(]
Red_Dwarf

Post by Red_Dwarf »

I've requested that my "monitoring stations" be upgraded to the latest model, because as they are now they have no LRS. Which programmer thought it was a good idea to be able to build MOS's before discovering LRS? [8|]
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

The AI should not provide monitoring stations until long range scanners are unlocked. Certain ship types are delayed until some tech/size is available already.

And I agree that the original post could have been somewhat more straight forward...
Igard

Post by Igard »

Going a bit off topic...

Red_Dwarf, what did you think of the new episode of Red Dwarf that aired the other night?
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

Think it boils down down to, the OP dude was pissed because DW scuppered his master plans, someone got the hump with the replies followed by some bright spark masking it all with obscure wording ... I think (Im blonde, large and the goldfish has a higher IQ than me)
Darkspire

I cannot understand a word you said; does this mean I have an IQ lower than a goldfish?
Am I looking up at a goldfish's shoes or -- in this case -- fins?
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
danlongman

Post by danlongman »

Everywhere I goes I sees this stupid toy castle.
I turns around..and there it is again!!
I knows I should remember something but....
Holy Crap!! A castle!! Sometimes I wishes there was
more to life but....WTF!!?? A Castle!!
I wonder why the light rays are distorted outside the...
Jumpin' Jehovah!! A Castle!!! Lucky that food comes
down from the distorted sky....A Castle!!! Wot's all this
then? Not a Castle?! Well bite me if it ain't!......A Castle!!
-Goldy in a former life
"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
WoodMan

Post by WoodMan »

Loved series 1 to 6, didn't like 7 or 8 as much and so never saw the back to Earth stuff after all its bad reviews etc.

But... I did enjoy the series 10 episode, it was much better than I expected. More akin to series 3 thru 6 than 7 or 8 thankfully. Also, I like the way they didn't modernize the set too much and make it look all high tech, with the exception of the screens it was all similar to the 80s/90s style [:)]

I can't get used to Kryten with the wrinkly eyes, heh, Androids don't age!
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
Igard

Post by Igard »

Cassandra was the only good episode of series 7/8. The rest were pretty bad. Series 1 & 2 were my favourites. Back to Earth just didn't feel right. This new episode did feel right!

I didn't really notice the wrinkles, but I noticed Kryten put on a few pounds! And Rimmer's hair! Lister and the Cat are the ones that seemed to age the least, and they're the living characters!

I enjoyed it. I didn't think it was quite as funny as the old ones, but it was really well done. Like you I was really pleased with the sets and the overall style. It was always about the interactions between the crew and it felt like they were going back to the old days with this.

I'm looking forward to more.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: Igard

Cassandra was the only good episode of series 7/8. The rest were pretty bad. Series 1 & 2 were my favourites. Back to Earth just didn't feel right. This new episode did feel right!

I didn't really notice the wrinkles, but I noticed Kryten put on a few pounds! And Rimmer's hair! Lister and the Cat are the ones that seemed to age the least, and they're the living characters!

I enjoyed it. I didn't think it was quite as funny as the old ones, but it was really well done. Like you I was really pleased with the sets and the overall style. It was always about the interactions between the crew and it felt like they were going back to the old days with this.

I'm looking forward to more.

Man I miss that show, the station around here that was broadcasting it quit. [:(]
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
jpwrunyan

Post by jpwrunyan »

Holy cow! New Red Dwarf episodes!? No one tells me anything.

Season 1&2 are my favorites.
TheJian

Post by TheJian »

ORIGINAL: Bingeling

Silly images posting as memes besides.

When I read the original post, I was thinking the silly game allowed him to build an AN designed monitoring station with no long range scanner. Which is a pretty useless, and I think they could be available without the scanner tech.

Which makes the game scumbag due to tricking him into building something useless.
I felt the same^^^Fan boys get all worked up over nothing..........lol
Anthropoid

Post by Anthropoid »

Just for the record: "meme" is still a _very_ controversial concept among the type of academic professionals for whom the topic is most 'close to home:' anthropologists. There are literally entire sub-schools of thought that specialize in studying memes and focus almost exclusively on them. And then on the other end of the continuum there are people who would argue that any attempt to use a genetic concept and apply it to culture is absurd.

I have always found the concept quite intriguiging and tend to think there is some kind of merit in it.

But I'm increasingly thinking that what we are really dealing with are the emergent units that arise through the interaction of universal semiotes and specific cultural/ideosyncratic symbolic interpretations. The original meme concept doesn't capture that complication so well . . . but alas, I am digressing quite far from the topic of the OP so I will SU now . . .

Just haven't been on here for a few months, and this happened to be the first DW thread I looked at [:D]
The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ ... playnext=3

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”