1EyedJacks VS Bullwinkle58: A knife fight has no house rules

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

1EyedJacks

Sun Glare

Post by 1EyedJacks »

Hi guys – sorry for being a bit spotty in my postings – there’s just a lot going on in my personal life right now till after the November elections.

So Guam and Hong Kong fell this turn. When I attack Hong Kong I like to use my transports to fly in supplies. In WiTP you get a bonus if you have 2X the supplies for your LCU. Although I haven’t found anything in the AE manual that states the same bonus is in effect I haven’t heard anyone say that it’s not in effect either. So I attacked a turn, rested a turn, and attacked and took the city on the 3rd day in fulfillment of my script.

I used the 51st Naval Guard unit (that would have attacked Wake?) as my initial thrust on Johnston Isle. I need to look back a turn but I suspect they were pre-set to shock attack ‘cause they did at 1:2 odds. No major damage to the troops other than a lot of disruption. This will put me behind a turn or two…

My subs VS Steve’s ASW TFs around Hawaii have had really strange dealings. My subs launch torpedoes and miss while his DDs expend all DC and miss. If I wasn’t seeing actual successful sub and ASW attacks in other locations of the board I’d be thinking something was mucked up with ASW in the beta version we are playing. Three Divisions plus support are prepping for PH while additional units are prepping to take the rest of the bases in the Hawaiian Islands. Once I own the air I’ll be able to take PH. I just need to keep enough damage on the port/airfield so he can’t build up his forts. What I’m most worried about are Steve’s BBs. I don’t think I did his BBs enough damage with KB so any initial invasion could be bloody if I don’t have strong BB support of my own.

Troops from the 15th Army & the RTA are finally out of the RR phase to bases close to the Burma frontier and are now starting to move along the trails. I think I’m doing well in suppressing or at least forcing Steve to burn through his fighters. I can make fighters faster than Steve gets his replacements right now so I want to take advantage of that.

I’m hoping I can really drive through Steve in China and push directly into Burma & India. What I’m really hoping to do is route his China troops and never give them the chance to recover. I think I can destroy most of his LCU in China and push any REMF units all the way through Burma and slaughter them as they run out of supplies. At the same time I’ll try to back-door India. It won’t be a surprise as Steve will see it happening. I will need to insure I fight on favorable terrain.

Engineers with aviation support are arriving in Malaya so I can start up air ops in earnest around Singapore. My grunts are marching to drive Steve’s troops to Singapore.

Amphibious TFs are nearing the NW tip of Borneo so I can take on Singkawang et-all and establish air ops from there. Mini KBs will drive from the Celebes Sea, through Sulu and over to Cam Ranh Bay to reload beans and bullets. I’ll use them plus a few BB to drive home my assault of Palembang. Subs are cruising the waters throughout those waters to try and prevent Steve from doing a fortress Palembang. I was the recipient of the first one devised by Nemo. That’s not gunna happen again <grin>.

The Philippines is going as a standard campaign. I want to bottle him up and then attrit his LCU and force him to use up his supplies.

What I want to do is drive through Rabaul/Port Moresby and then work my way north through the DEI and all the way back up to Malaya/Sumatra. I’m trying to cut off his forces from retreat/resupply from Oz.

I’ll try to get a few maps out with my general attack vectors (maybe Friday) but my first commitment is to keep Steve reasonably supplies with turns <grin>

TTFN,

Mike
TTFN,

Mike
PaxMondo

RE: Sun Glare

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: 1EyedJacks

... What I’m really hoping to do is route his China troops and never give them the chance to recover. I think I can destroy most of his LCU in China and push any REMF units all the way through Burma and slaughter them as they run out of supplies. At the same time I’ll try to back-door India. .

This will work IF if the allies try to defend forward. If he pulls back right away and gets defensive forts built in the 3x terrain around the Chungking valley, then you will have a VERY tough time. If he tries to defend Sian, you got him. You'll need all of your 1E and 2E IJA bombers .... the disruption needs to be maintained ...
Pax
Dan Nichols

Post by Dan Nichols »

A couple of notes.

1. Johnson Island is an atoll, you will always shock attack.
2. It is very hard to hit small ships with large maneuver ratings, you will miss a lot of DDs and such.
3. Allied ship experience starts very low and he will not have much success in his ASW attacks early on.
I think that the two obligations you have are to be good at what you do and then to pass on your knowledge to a younger person
1EyedJacks

Post by 1EyedJacks »

ORIGINAL: Dan Nichols

A couple of notes.

1. Johnson Island is an atoll, you will always shock attack.
2. It is very hard to hit small ships with large maneuver ratings, you will miss a lot of DDs and such.
3. Allied ship experience starts very low and he will not have much success in his ASW attacks early on.

I hear you <grin>. There's just been a *lot* of attacks on both sides. I think the I-171 might have had a bulb break from a distant DC attack.

My favorite message right now is that one where it says the DC attack was too high - lol.
TTFN,

Mike
1EyedJacks

Post by 1EyedJacks »

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

... What I’m really hoping to do is route his China troops and never give them the chance to recover. I think I can destroy most of his LCU in China and push any REMF units all the way through Burma and slaughter them as they run out of supplies. At the same time I’ll try to back-door India. .

This will work IF if the allies try to defend forward. If he pulls back right away and gets defensive forts built in the 3x terrain around the Chungking valley, then you will have a VERY tough time. If he tries to defend Sian, you got him. You'll need all of your 1E and 2E IJA bombers .... the disruption needs to be maintained ...

I can just cut off the supply routes and fire-bomb the city so it can't make supplies - yes?
TTFN,

Mike
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

I can just cut off the supply routes and fire-bomb the city so it can't make supplies - yes?

Not sure I understand ... yes to your question, but how it relates to my comment eludes me ... [:(]
Pax
1EyedJacks

Post by 1EyedJacks »

Not sure I understand ... yes to your question, but how it relates to my comment eludes me ... [:(]

If they defend 4ward I will smite them with my additional numbers. If they fall back they can't well defend w/o supplies. Block the roads - fire bomb the four cities in the valley and let them stew w/o supplies for 6 months while I bypass with remaining troops. I should then be able to go back and take them out with 4 grannies and a broom.

TTFN,

Mike
1EyedJacks

Post by 1EyedJacks »

I dumped the movie to Steve last night and the turn for him to input this morning B4 0900. My hope is to get a pair or more of turns completed this weekend.

In China I’ve noticed that Steve is pulling troops back from around Nanning, the area around Chengting, and it appears around Changsha. He must have something in mind – maybe trying to draw a defensive line in favorable terrain. At any rate I’m pushing units forward to try and keep contact. I have limited Aviation support in the China Theatre but there are units on the way into China from Manchukuo. Once they are in place I can bring more air units into play in the China theatre. I have reassigned air units out of Canton for ground and recon attacks now that Hong Kong has fallen. Hopefully more will be revealed.

In Burma and Malaya troops are moving towards targets. Alor Star should fall next turn. It looks like Steve is pulling down to Singapore. Around Rangoon his CAP seems to be petering off after repeated sweeps with Oscars and Zeroes. He let his AVG get trashed here (which works for me). Three and 4:1 odds in dog fights will take down even the best of them <grin>. Almost always the Oscars would sweep first and then the Zeroes. That seems strange to me since the Zeroes have a faster cruise and max speed and both units are out of Bangkok. Maybe the navy pukes can’t hold their booze like army troops… (I could be starting something here <grin>)

Both mini-KB TFs are in the South China Sea and headed for beans and bullets too after which they’ll help support my push for Palembang.

Johnston Isle fell and I’ve got zeroes based for CAP. KB is due east of Johnston. Steve has been running little TFs to Johnston to try and disrupt my landing or supply TFs. I’ve slipped a Surface TF into the hex with CL and DD to see if I can snake those PITAs before they cause mischief. Next turn I’ll run KB for a resupply of AC, beans and bullets. That should give my BBs time to get up and help support attacks in the Hawaiian bases.

Attachments
combatreport.txt
(31.21 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
TTFN,

Mike
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

If they defend 4ward I will smite them with my additional numbers. If they fall back they can't well defend w/o supplies. Block the roads - fire bomb the four cities in the valley and let them stew w/o supplies for 6 months while I bypass with remaining troops. I should then be able to go back and take them out with 4 grannies and a broom.

Now I see, yes since you can strategic bomb in China you can (and should) nuke the supply producing centers. Once you block the Burma road, the only supplies will be via air lift. Then yes, great numbers will starve ... how many will depend upon how committed he is to the air lift.
Pax
1EyedJacks

A Spanking

Post by 1EyedJacks »

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Dec 15, 41
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Time Surface Combat, near Johnston Island at 163,111, Range 5,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CL Tenryu
CL Tatsuta
DD Kisaragi
DD Yayoi
PB Ikuta Maru
PB Kaikei Maru

Allied Ships
DMS Elliot, Shell hits 1

Reduced sighting due to 10% moonlight
Maximum visibility in Partly Cloudy Conditions and 10% moonlight: 5,000 yards
Range closes to 7,000 yards...
Range closes to 5,000 yards...
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 5,000 yards
Japanese open fire on surprised Allied ships at 5,000 yards
CL Tatsuta fires at DMS Elliot at 5,000 yards
Range closes to 2,000 yards
CL Tatsuta engages DMS Elliot at 2,000 yards
Osborne K. orders Allied TF to disengage
Range increases to 4,000 yards
PB Ikuta Maru engages DMS Elliot at 4,000 yards
Range increases to 7,000 yards
CL Tatsuta engages DMS Elliot at 7,000 yards
DD Yayoi engages DMS Elliot at 7,000 yards
Range increases to 12,000 yards
PB Kaikei Maru engages DMS Elliot at 12,000 yards
Task forces break off...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Time Surface Combat, near Johnston Island at 164,111, Range 4,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CL Tenryu
CL Tatsuta
DD Kisaragi
DD Yayoi
PB Ikuta Maru, Shell hits 1, on fire
PB Kaikei Maru

Allied Ships
DMS Elliot, Shell hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

Reduced sighting due to 10% moonlight
Maximum visibility in Partly Cloudy Conditions and 10% moonlight: 4,000 yards
Range closes to 9,000 yards...
Range closes to 8,000 yards...
Range closes to 7,000 yards...
Range closes to 6,000 yards...
Range closes to 5,000 yards...
Range closes to 4,000 yards...
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 4,000 yards
Japanese launch Long Lance torpedoes at 4,000 yards before allies detect Japanese presence
CL Tatsuta fires at DMS Elliot at 4,000 yards
Range closes to 3,000 yards
CL Tatsuta engages DMS Elliot at 3,000 yards
PB Ikuta Maru engages DMS Elliot at 3,000 yards
CL Tatsuta engages DMS Elliot at 7,000 yards
DD Yayoi engages DMS Elliot at 7,000 yards
Range increases to 11,000 yards
PB Ikuta Maru engages DMS Elliot at 11,000 yards
Task forces break off...

Day Time Surface Combat, near Johnston Island at 167,109, Range 21,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CL Tenryu, Shell hits 3
CL Tatsuta, Shell hits 3
DD Kisaragi, Shell hits 6, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Yayoi, Shell hits 2, on fire
PB Ikuta Maru, Shell hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
PB Kaikei Maru, Shell hits 3, on fire

Allied Ships
DD Mugford, Shell hits 5, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Patterson, Shell hits 1
DD Jarvis
DD Cummings, Shell hits 1
DD Case
DD Conyngham
DD Tucker, Shell hits 3, heavy fires, heavy damage

Maximum visibility in Partly Cloudy Conditions: 28,000 yards
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 21,000 yards
CONTACT: Allied lookouts spot Japanese task force at 21,000 yards
CL Tatsuta engages DD Tucker at 21,000 yards
CL Tatsuta engages DD Conyngham at 21,000 yards
CL Tatsuta engages DD Cummings at 21,000 yards
Range closes to 17,000 yards
CL Tatsuta engages DD Tucker at 17,000 yards
CL Tenryu engages DD Conyngham at 17,000 yards
DD Yayoi engages DD Tucker at 17,000 yards
DD Yayoi engages DD Cummings at 17,000 yards
DD Cummings engages PB Ikuta Maru at 17,000 yards
CL Tatsuta engages DD Mugford at 17,000 yards
Range closes to 16,000 yards
DD Yayoi engages DD Tucker at 16,000 yards
CL Tenryu engages DD Conyngham at 16,000 yards
DD Yayoi engages DD Case at 16,000 yards
DD Kisaragi engages DD Tucker at 16,000 yards
DD Conyngham engages PB Ikuta Maru at 16,000 yards
DD Mugford engages DD Yayoi at 16,000 yards
Range closes to 13,000 yards
CL Tatsuta engages DD Tucker at 13,000 yards
CL Tenryu engages DD Mugford at 13,000 yards
DD Yayoi engages DD Conyngham at 13,000 yards
DD Yayoi engages DD Cummings at 13,000 yards
DD Kisaragi engages DD Patterson at 13,000 yards
DD Yayoi engages DD Mugford at 13,000 yards
Range closes to 10,000 yards
DD Tucker engages DD Yayoi at 10,000 yards
DD Conyngham engages DD Kisaragi at 10,000 yards
DD Cummings engages DD Yayoi at 10,000 yards
DD Kisaragi engages DD Cummings at 10,000 yards
DD Jarvis engages DD Yayoi at 10,000 yards
DD Yayoi engages DD Patterson at 10,000 yards
DD Yayoi engages DD Mugford at 10,000 yards
Range closes to 7,000 yards
DD Kisaragi engages DD Conyngham at 7,000 yards
DD Yayoi engages DD Case at 7,000 yards
DD Kisaragi engages DD Cummings at 7,000 yards
CL Tatsuta engages DD Jarvis at 7,000 yards
DD Kisaragi engages DD Patterson at 7,000 yards
DD Kisaragi engages DD Mugford at 7,000 yards
Range closes to 6,000 yards
DD Kisaragi engages DD Tucker at 6,000 yards
CL Tenryu engages DD Mugford at 6,000 yards
DD Yayoi engages DD Case at 6,000 yards
DD Cummings engages DD Yayoi at 6,000 yards
DD Conyngham engages PB Kaikei Maru at 6,000 yards
DD Patterson engages DD Yayoi at 6,000 yards
DD Yayoi engages DD Mugford at 6,000 yards
Range closes to 5,000 yards
CL Tatsuta engages DD Conyngham at 5,000 yards
CL Tenryu engages DD Patterson at 5,000 yards
DD Kisaragi engages DD Case at 5,000 yards
DD Yayoi engages DD Cummings at 5,000 yards
DD Kisaragi engages DD Jarvis at 5,000 yards
DD Yayoi engages DD Mugford at 5,000 yards
Range closes to 4,000 yards
CL Tatsuta engages DD Mugford at 4,000 yards
CL Tenryu engages DD Conyngham at 4,000 yards
DD Conyngham engages DD Yayoi at 4,000 yards
DD Kisaragi engages DD Jarvis at 4,000 yards
DD Patterson engages PB Ikuta Maru at 4,000 yards
DD Kisaragi engages DD Mugford at 4,000 yards
Range increases to 5,000 yards
DD Tucker engages DD Kisaragi at 5,000 yards
CL Tenryu engages DD Case at 5,000 yards
DD Kisaragi engages DD Case at 5,000 yards
DD Kisaragi engages DD Cummings at 5,000 yards
DD Jarvis engages DD Kisaragi at 5,000 yards
DD Conyngham engages PB Ikuta Maru at 5,000 yards
DD Mugford engages DD Kisaragi at 5,000 yards
Baba, Yoshifumi orders Japanese TF to disengage
CL Tatsuta engages DD Conyngham at 5,000 yards
DD Conyngham engages CL Tenryu at 5,000 yards
DD Yayoi engages DD Case at 5,000 yards
DD Jarvis engages DD Kisaragi at 5,000 yards
DD Yayoi engages DD Jarvis at 5,000 yards
DD Patterson engages PB Ikuta Maru at 5,000 yards
DD Yayoi engages DD Mugford at 5,000 yards
DD Tucker engages DD Yayoi at 7,000 yards
DD Conyngham engages DD Kisaragi at 7,000 yards
DD Yayoi engages DD Mugford at 7,000 yards
DD Kisaragi engages DD Cummings at 7,000 yards
DD Patterson engages PB Kaikei Maru at 7,000 yards
DD Patterson engages DD Yayoi at 7,000 yards
DD Yayoi engages DD Mugford at 7,000 yards
Range increases to 8,000 yards
DD Case engages CL Tatsuta at 8,000 yards
DD Conyngham engages DD Yayoi at 8,000 yards
DD Kisaragi engages DD Tucker at 8,000 yards
DD Mugford engages PB Kaikei Maru at 8,000 yards
DD Mugford engages DD Yayoi at 8,000 yards
Range increases to 13,000 yards
DD Tucker engages DD Kisaragi at 13,000 yards
DD Conyngham engages DD Kisaragi at 13,000 yards
DD Yayoi engages DD Patterson at 13,000 yards
DD Kisaragi engages DD Case at 13,000 yards
DD Patterson engages PB Kaikei Maru at 13,000 yards
DD Tucker engages PB Ikuta Maru at 13,000 yards
DD Mugford engages DD Yayoi at 13,000 yards
Young, E. orders Allied TF to disengage
Range increases to 17,000 yards
DD Kisaragi engages DD Tucker at 17,000 yards
CL Tenryu engages DD Cummings at 17,000 yards
DD Yayoi engages DD Case at 17,000 yards
DD Yayoi engages DD Cummings at 17,000 yards
DD Jarvis engages PB Kaikei Maru at 17,000 yards
DD Patterson engages DD Yayoi at 17,000 yards
DD Mugford engages DD Yayoi at 17,000 yards
Range increases to 21,000 yards
CL Tatsuta engages DD Tucker at 21,000 yards
CL Tatsuta engages DD Conyngham at 21,000 yards
CL Tenryu engages DD Case at 21,000 yards
CL Tatsuta engages DD Cummings at 21,000 yards
CL Tatsuta engages DD Jarvis at 21,000 yards
CL Tenryu engages DD Mugford at 21,000 yards
Task forces break off...

So this is what I think happened in the series above. My TF is on Surface Combat and expended most of its munitions against a DMS and then got clocked by a 7DD TF from Steve. Or maybe I just rolled bad dice a few times? The night-time engagements were low moonlight. Any thoughts other then bad die rolls for not sinking the DMS quickly within the first engagement?

I've been getting a few of these types of attacks (I had similar experiences in the South China Sea against a few fleeing DDs from Hong Kong) where my TF is of superior strength but does poorly against a much smaller allied TF. It just seems weird when I see several Japanese war ships firing on a lone enemy ship and I walk away with less than a handful of hits.

Thoughts/insights appreciated.
TTFN,

Mike
1EyedJacks

RE: A Spanking

Post by 1EyedJacks »

In China I'm clearing up my rear area and pushing 4ward. Additional Troops from Manchukuo have arrived and are moving about the board, some to garrison bases and others to push Steve into a corner. I'm looking 4 opportunities to hit him with a bigger stick and trash moral/disruption. Keeping him moving should eat up his supplies...

I'm clearing mines @ Hong Kong

Steve is pounding oil @ Miri with 4E bombers. I was using Nates but they are ineffective. Oscars get the next try.

In Malaya Alor Star fell. My mini-KBs should refuel this turn and then I'll combine them for Palembang. Air support is almost in place and troops are pushing down to Singapore. Steve is retreating faster than I can catch up. I never figured him for a Sir Robin.

KB is off to get beans and bullets. I have fighters CAPing Johnston and ASW + Surface Combat TFs working that area.
TTFN,

Mike
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

KB is off to get beans and bullets

This phrase is correct for the Allies only. For Japan it should be "rice and bullets." [:D]
[center]Image[/center]
Dan Nichols

Post by Dan Nichols »

I think the PBs in your SCTF are a detriment. Their maneuver rating is a lot lower than the other ships in the TF.
I think that the two obligations you have are to be good at what you do and then to pass on your knowledge to a younger person
1EyedJacks

Post by 1EyedJacks »

I think the PBs in your SCTF are a detriment. Their maneuver rating is a lot lower than the other ships in the TF.

That's an interesting concept and one I haven't thought of B4. I will go back and look at my TFs in the South China Sea that experienced similar problems with attacking a single ship (in those encounters they were single DDs). Thanks for the observation.
TTFN,

Mike
SqzMyLemon

Post by SqzMyLemon »

Exactly. Handcuffing a SCTF with PB's is never good. An invasion TF, sure attach some PB's, but in this case you killed your TF speed shackling the DD's with 11-14kt PB's. Not hard to see why the Allied DD's ran circles around you.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
1EyedJacks

Post by 1EyedJacks »

This is from 12.8.41 (looking at TF maneuver ratings as possibilities for poor gunnery performance in Surface Combat)

Day Time Surface Combat, near Hong Kong at 76,66, Range 14,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
DD Ikazuchi
DD Inazuma, Shell hits 1

Allied Ships
DD Thanet, Shell hits 2, on fire

CONTACT: Allied lookouts spot Japanese task force at 20,000 yards
Range closes to 14,000 yards...
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 14,000 yards
DD Ikazuchi engages DD Thanet at 14,000 yards
Range closes to 9,000 yards
DD Inazuma engages DD Thanet at 9,000 yards
DD Ikazuchi engages DD Thanet at 9,000 yards
Davies, E.S. orders Allied TF to disengage
DD Inazuma collides with DD Ikazuchi at 76 , 66
DD Inazuma engages DD Thanet at 7,000 yards
DD Ikazuchi engages DD Thanet at 7,000 yards
Range increases to 11,000 yards
DD Inazuma engages DD Thanet at 11,000 yards
DD Ikazuchi engages DD Thanet at 11,000 yards
Range increases to 17,000 yards
DD Inazuma engages DD Thanet at 17,000 yards
DD Ikazuchi engages DD Thanet at 17,000 yards
Task forces break off...

Day Time Surface Combat, near Hong Kong at 75,65, Range 20,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
DD Ikazuchi, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Inazuma, Shell hits 7, on fire

Allied Ships
DD Scout, Shell hits 1

CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 20,000 yards
CONTACT: Allied lookouts spot Japanese task force at 20,000 yards
Lambton, H. crosses the 'T'
DD Inazuma engages DD Scout at 20,000 yards
DD Ikazuchi engages DD Scout at 20,000 yards
Range closes to 16,000 yards
DD Inazuma engages DD Scout at 16,000 yards
DD Ikazuchi engages DD Scout at 16,000 yards
Range closes to 12,000 yards
DD Scout engages DD Inazuma at 12,000 yards
DD Ikazuchi engages DD Scout at 12,000 yards
Range closes to 10,000 yards
DD Scout engages DD Inazuma at 10,000 yards
DD Ikazuchi engages DD Scout at 10,000 yards
DD Inazuma engages DD Scout at 7,000 yards
DD Ikazuchi engages DD Scout at 7,000 yards
Range closes to 6,000 yards
DD Scout engages DD Inazuma at 6,000 yards
DD Ikazuchi engages DD Scout at 6,000 yards
Range closes to 5,000 yards
DD Scout engages DD Inazuma at 5,000 yards
DD Ikazuchi engages DD Scout at 5,000 yards
DD Scout engages DD Inazuma at 5,000 yards
DD Scout engages DD Ikazuchi at 5,000 yards
Lambton, H. orders Allied TF to disengage
DD Inazuma engages DD Scout at 5,000 yards
DD Ikazuchi engages DD Scout at 5,000 yards
Range increases to 10,000 yards
DD Inazuma engages DD Scout at 10,000 yards
DD Scout engages DD Ikazuchi at 10,000 yards
Range increases to 15,000 yards
DD Ikazuchi engages DD Scout at 15,000 yards
DD Ikazuchi engages DD Scout at 15,000 yards
Kudo, Shunsaku orders Japanese TF to disengage
Range increases to 19,000 yards
Task forces break off...

What I note is that these engagements are long range - my TFs did not close in these engagements. Looking at the Commander for this TF Naval skill is lite. Aggression is high which gives me the two encounters probably. I wonder if there is anything that would help get my TF to try and close range?

18123 CDR Kusumoto W. LDR69 INSP60 NAV45 AIR19 LAND11 ADM55 AGG61 PP6 BEST-Ship IJ Navy Assigned-DD Ikazuchi

TTFN,

Mike
1EyedJacks

Post by 1EyedJacks »

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon

Exactly. Handcuffing a SCTF with PB's is never good. An invasion TF, sure attach some PB's, but in this case you killed your TF speed shackling the DD's with 11-14kt PB's. Not hard to see why the Allied DD's ran circles around you.

Perhaps but what I saw in the movie (and isn't obvious from the combat sequence) is that my ships have a strongly reduced return fire rate against the 7DD TF. Perhaps that is the reduction in speed (and those 7DD running circles around me) but in those first two encounters against the DMS Elliot my ships are blasting away from knife range out to 12000 yrds and then again from 9k to 4k and then back out to 11k and my ships are firing everything including torpedoes...

I am more inclined to think I ran out of ammo from attacking the DMS twice (at least - looking @ the TF after the three engagements they are pretty much empty of bullets except the CL Tenryu). The CPT of the Tenryu has Naval/Aggression ratings of 74/73. LDR/INS is 56/77. The CL Tenryu still has 2/3 ammo available on her main guns.

I wonder why the Tenryu was lite in her combat opportunities?
TTFN,

Mike
1EyedJacks

Post by 1EyedJacks »

ORIGINAL: ny59giants
KB is off to get beans and bullets

This phrase is correct for the Allies only. For Japan it should be "rice and bullets." [:D]

Ahh my friend - think bean curd ala tofu... Rice alone will not make a sailor face the flickering flames of war. To stand in the face of such withering naval combat a sailor needs sustenance that sticks to one's bones (perhaps with a liberal amount of rice wine (sake) to aid in digestion).
TTFN,

Mike
1EyedJacks

Combat Report 12.15.41

Post by 1EyedJacks »

For your downloading pleasure. [:'(]

Attachments
combatreport.txt
(45.41 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
TTFN,

Mike
1EyedJacks

Advice Requested

Post by 1EyedJacks »

Hi Guys - hey help me out here please.

For LCU - I've got a couple of units that I want to drop their fatigue/disruption as fast as I can. Is there anything in the leader ratings I can use that you *know* works? I think I want to set the units to RESERVE with the thought they will recover faster. Is this an urban myth or should I just leave them at COMBAT but no movement. I'm gunna flood the base with supplies thinking 2x supplies or better should help reduce disruption.

What do you do to drop fatigue/disruption?

My Hibiki is damaged and I want to get her to a port for repairs. The closest decent base is Cam Ranh Bay. The closest base is Miri. Hibiki broke off into it's own TF - so she's solo with the following damage 63/23/22/49. the 23 flood damage - 5 is Major.
- run at cruise speed or stay @ mission speed?
- try to get other DD to match with Hibiki (thinking they'll help fight fires)
- try to sit in a hex and "hide" for a turn or two while fighting fires/damage and then shoot for Cam Ranh Bay?
- Miriis 16 hexes & Cam Ranh Bay is 23 hexes away.
- Forcast Partly Cloudy (Advanced weather is off in this game) Moonlight 0%

What would you do and why? Is there any other information you'd look at to help you make a decision?

And thanks in advance for your feedback.
TTFN,

Mike

Return to “After Action Reports”