Struggle of Nations

Empires in Arms is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. Empires in Arms is a seven player game of grand strategy set during the Napoleonic period of 1805-1815. The unit scale is corps level with full diplomatic options

Moderator: MOD_EIA

Preuss

Struggle of Nations

Post by Preuss »

This was probably my second favourite wargame of all time. EIA was the first.

It had all the major characters, and unsurpassed detail in a corps sized game. I never gotr to play it much, because working out the attrition was too much for most guys.

Did any of you ever play it?
Jesus ...., with all respect. This closet germanism is allways killing me.
Le Tondu

Post by Le Tondu »

I never played it, but it sounds like a perfect project to have converted to computer.
Vive l'Empereur!
pasternakski

Oh, yeah

Post by pasternakski »

All of those Kevin Zucker games were good. This might have been the best.

The Emperor Returns, a Zucker game published by Clash of Arms, is easily the best operational-level study of the Waterloo campaign. This system does a better job of handling leadership and corps-level organization of Napoleonic-era armies than any other I have seen. Besides, the counters and map are truly beautiful.
Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
jnier

Post by jnier »

I always enjoyed Hundred Days Battles, which used a similar system, but was a bit more playable than Struggle of Nations (which I own but have never played). But it is a great system and would make a great computer game, especially since you could easily add Fog Of War.
pasternakski

Post by pasternakski »

I think we're on to something here, guys. Let's encourage Matrix to explore the possibilities with Clash of Arms games (which owns the copyright to most of this stuff, except SoN. I have no idea who controls that one, what with Avalon Hill's shameful sellout to Hasbro a few years back).

Maybe somebody ought to go out and find Zucker and talk to him ....
Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
VictorH

Napoleonic Games

Post by VictorH »

Kevin Zucker designs games for "Operational Studies Group" -> http://www.napoleongames.com/index.cfm

I have one of his boardgames -> La Route du Kremlin, it's very good.
jnier

Post by jnier »

It would indeed be interesting to see what Kevin Zucker had to say about making a computer version of Struggle of Nations. You can probably contact him by sending an email to OSG. Here's their email address:

questions@napoleongames.com

Return to “Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815”