Big Babes s28 air torp accuracy reduced?

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

asdicus

Big Babes s28 air torp accuracy reduced?

Post by asdicus »

I have just started a new pbm game using the Big Babes B scenario 28.

I am big fan of this mod and have played Big Babes over several complete pbm games up to now always as the allies. Now I am the japs and I am finding that my nettys seem incapable of hiting warships with aerial torpedoes. Now I know there are a lot of variables involved eg weather,experience and so forth but after a month a gameplay the fastest ship the nettys have managed to hit is a 10 knot freighter. They have tried to attack ABDA warships on several occasions with strikes of up to 40 nettys no hits at all so far. I did have a look at the scenario data and I noticed that Big Babes has reduced the accuracy of jap air torps eg device 1688 45cm T91 mod 1 accuracy reduced from 43 to 29. I have no idea how those numbers work in the attack calculation but on my limited experience in this campaign so far it does seem to be having a big impact.

I know that torpedo bombers did not have a huge success vs warships apart from the Force Z action but they did score hits against undamaged fast warships at sea (also in the med and the north cape with italian and german torp bombers). I would appreciate it if one of the Babes developers could comment on my observations.

GreyJoy

RE: Big Babes s28 air torp accuracy reduced?

Post by GreyJoy »

ORIGINAL: asdicus

I have just started a new pbm game using the Big Babes B scenario 28.

I am big fan of this mod and have played Big Babes over several complete pbm games up to now always as the allies. Now I am the japs and I am finding that my nettys seem incapable of hiting warships with aerial torpedoes. Now I know there are a lot of variables involved eg weather,experience and so forth but after a month a gameplay the fastest ship the nettys have managed to hit is a 10 knot freighter. They have tried to attack ABDA warships on several occasions with strikes of up to 40 nettys no hits at all so far. I did have a look at the scenario data and I noticed that Big Babes has reduced the accuracy of jap air torps eg device 1688 45cm T91 mod 1 accuracy reduced from 43 to 29. I have no idea how those numbers work in the attack calculation but on my limited experience in this campaign so far it does seem to be having a big impact.

I know that torpedo bombers did not have a huge success vs warships apart from the Force Z action but they did score hits against undamaged fast warships at sea (also in the med and the north cape with italian and german torp bombers). I would appreciate it if one of the Babes developers could comment on my observations.

Playin scenario 30 and my Netties seem to do just fine. Nothing great, mind you, but scored some hits on uncapped capital ships (1 torp into POW) and 1 torp into an american CA....
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

I hope that they dropped the accuracy of all torps.

I felt that they were too accurate (as were bombs, I modded accuracy down to 1 and left all the other ratings to work it out, Nemo or Nik. went down the "sticks" approach) and modded them down severly (maybe 50%, was a while back)

The result was pretty accurate against merchants but I needed to tweak it a bit as it was a bit too low against combat vessels. Maybe a bit of testing of numerous combats might have given a series of results to work from.

Because of the continued improvements through patches and mods I never got back to it[:@]

IMVHO there needs to be a difference between the accuracy of, for example, a reasonably nimble 1E TB (Kate) against a lumbering, but more stable 2E such as Betty. A stat which covers one aircraft might fail against history if this was applied to another type.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
asdicus

Post by asdicus »

I am using the latest babes scen 28 v11. I have played the v10 of this scenario and the jap air torp accuracy was 43 not 29. So it seems the accuracy figures were reduced from 43 to 29 in v11. Any thoughts on why this was done ? Anyone who is playing the babes mod would not see these reduced hit rates unless they are playing the latest v11 files of the mod which were released in late august 2012.
US87891

Post by US87891 »

All bombs and all torpedoes have adjustments to Eff, Penn, and Acc. Castor Troy felt the original Babes adjustments to bombs went too far and made a good presentation for a correction. He also said torpedoes should be looked at to make sure that one device type was not proportionately more powerful than the other. That got done. Thank you Castor Troy.

All bombs and all torpedoes got the same math principles. The math was done by people who knew the code and wrote the math so they both fit into the game calculations. As they often tell me, there is no “right” answer, just an answer that is valid, rational, self-consistent, and repeatable.
asdicus

Post by asdicus »

ORIGINAL: US87891

All bombs and all torpedoes have adjustments to Eff, Penn, and Acc. Castor Troy felt the original Babes adjustments to bombs went too far and made a good presentation for a correction. He also said torpedoes should be looked at to make sure that one device type was not proportionately more powerful than the other. That got done. Thank you Castor Troy.

All bombs and all torpedoes got the same math principles. The math was done by people who knew the code and wrote the math so they both fit into the game calculations. As they often tell me, there is no “right” answer, just an answer that is valid, rational, self-consistent, and repeatable.
Thank-you for taking the time to post this explanation for me. I am not complaining just reporting my observations as a first time jap babes player. I remain a big fan of the babes mod in fact I could not play the standard game any more. I suppose these changes will also affect the kates on the jap carriers so I am a bit nervous about my first carrier battle. Were any changes made to the accuracy of those nasty sbd 1000 lb dive bombers ?
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

Stock torpedoes were "wire-guided" models...I can still get massive amount of hits when Betties/Nells get transport convoy, not so many when it's DD TF.

Good change, IMHO.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”