Editor: Area

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: Vic

LiquidSky

Editor: Area

Post by LiquidSky »

Okay...trying to figure out what area's are, and what they are used for.

In the editor I can Set Area Code Values.

This opens up a dialog box that says Give Area Slot#0-9..

Then: Give Area code to set (also 0-9?)

This then allows me to draw all over the map, changing the first number I select to the second number.

Then below, in the editor, it shows a list of areas like this: (for the trappenjagd campaign)

2) Sevastopol(1,1)

Not sure what any of this means...and there seems to be nothing in the editor manual about areas.
“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
anonymous1

RE: Editor: Area

Post by anonymous1 »

You may do something on area with the value is x in slot y.

You can mark the weather of an area with slot 1, value 0 is fair, value 2 is rain, value 3 is blizzard, value 4 is... etc.

And make slot 2 to distinguish the different district.

In a word, a slot is a method to divide the areas of the whole map, and the value is a divided area under a specified method.
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

So you can have different weather effects across the map at a granular level...? Nice!
WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

ahhh..its a marker! okay, I can use that in events...never thought to look at the events. I will have to experiment a bit....

I am not a big fan of 'granular weather' as it turns weather into a terrain, which can then be avoided, or 'driven' around at no loss of movement because of the hex system...although I like the idea of sweeping areas....like a snow belt, or arid region...
“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

Hmm....When I go to use Slot 3 for area, and look at the (trappenjagd map, say), I see a lot of different numbers, all multiples of 10, with 0's in the far east to 120 in water.

Not sure what it is for....and so I can't use it/change it, since I dont want to break something.

[EDIT]
Never mind, I found what it is used for in the code..apparently weather is not uniform across the map, but in these clusters. The weather event code 10 which sets weather hex by hex uses it, although I have never noticed the effect on map.
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

Wow..reading the event code, it looks like every hex can be affected differently by weather. And it uses Area slot#4 to store that value. But this begs the question..

If every hex has Slot# 0-9 that I can assign values...

Which ones am I allowed to use? Or are they all in use by the game engine? So far I have seen Slot 1 used (and named), Slot 3 used, and Slot 4 used by the event code.
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

ORIGINAL: LiquidSky

ahhh..its a marker! okay, I can use that in events...never thought to look at the events. I will have to experiment a bit....

I am not a big fan of 'granular weather' as it turns weather into a terrain, which can then be avoided, or 'driven' around at no loss of movement because of the hex system...although I like the idea of sweeping areas....like a snow belt, or arid region...

Yes, I actually had the sweeping effect in mind when I posted that - weather fronts etc.
WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2
anonymous1

Post by anonymous1 »

ORIGINAL: LiquidSky

Wow..reading the event code, it looks like every hex can be affected differently by weather. And it uses Area slot#4 to store that value. But this begs the question..

If every hex has Slot# 0-9 that I can assign values...

Which ones am I allowed to use? Or are they all in use by the game engine? So far I have seen Slot 1 used (and named), Slot 3 used, and Slot 4 used by the event code.
The value of a slot can be easily changed in event.
But as a marker, it is meaningless with all hex 0 .

I think you may bet on the slot that when you select it all hex on the map are 0.
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

Okay..I ran through all the text files generated into the log folder with a search function on the keyword (ExecSetSlot) and (CheckSlot) and found this:

Slot 9 is used for changing the gauge of Axis/Soviet rail in event 32 and 63. For example, if it is a 4, it is a German Rail, if it is a 3 then a little 1 will show up on the map, and it will be unusable...

Slot 3 is used by an editor function and is used by event 10 to set weather..which changes slot 4.

Slot 4. The value for weather is calculated and placed in slot 4. I plan to dig into event 10 and figure it out more, as it shatters some assumptions I have made about weather in this game.

Slot 5 is used in event 157 Militia reinforcement. It seems to be used to prevent cities from generating more then one militia unit (per hex).

Slot 7 is not set by event, but it is read by event 173 Fort Select Hex and done when the Fortification card is bought.

Slot 2 is not set by event, but is read by event 60, Soviet Oil, and seems to be the supply value of the hex...so is probably set by the supply function.

Slot 0 is used by events 19 + 20 (Minor Orders, Major Orders), 37 + 38 (Placing Forts, Placing Units) and event 173 (Fort Hex Selection). It seems to be a temporary value used to put the result of a calculation.

Slot 1 is used by the editor and is set. I havent found an event that uses it, however. I suspect it is used by the AI or just not used at all.

Which leads me to believe that I can use slot 6 and 8 for myself, and possibly slot 1. And I can use slot 0 for temporary calculations.
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

I've discovered another function that sets area slots: ExecSetSupplyMatrix and ExecClearMatrix. So slot 7 is used for the movement cost for (soviet) supply and slot 2 is used for (axis) supply. So mystery solved.

I think I will use slot 1 for national/seazone area names. Slot 6 I can use for Theatre and Slot 8 for Weather Zones...unless 3 is, which I will decipher from the weather event.
Vic

Post by Vic »

Keep in mind i added a feature in v104 where minor orders are kept within specific area. I thinking i used slot8 for this.

Best
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

Ohh....good thing you mentioned that...I guess I should put 1.04 on

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”