A3R vs WiF

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

alexvand

A3R vs WiF

Post by alexvand »

In another thread which got off topic a new-comer was asking about A3R as compared to Wif. Particularly with the Rising Sun included to make A3R a world wide game like WiF.

I've played both about 3 times each from beginning to end.

WiF wins by a long shot in my opinion.

Strengths of A3R with Rising Sun:
-Shorter play time
-takes up less space
-It does have a superior political system which allows for some interesting play, even if it can be very ahistorical. (But so can WiF)
-It does have a more interesting research system, but it's prone to unbalancing the game. (One German player put all his research into preparing for the winter war. Thus, they never stopped in that first winter. Game over.)
-It's not as complex on all levels, and thus easier to learn.

Weakness of A3R vs WiF
-A3R can be easily lost due a single mistake far moreso than WiF. (I misplaced a single unit on my Russian setup and the Germans took Moscow in a single turn on the first turn of Barbarossa and ended the game. That scale of mistake is almost impossible in WiF. Except maybe garrisoning Gibraltar, but even that doesn't end the game instantly.)
-Each turn in A3R covers 4 turns for the entire year while WiF has 6 turns which are further subdivided into multiple impulses. This leads to massive and rapid changes on the board in a short time in A3R, while WiF has a much more gradual and realistic feel to it's development.
-WiFs production system is vastly superior with serious thought having to be put into how and what and when you build. In A3R your entire army and air force can be wiped out in a single turn and rebuilt with the same time period. The navy is somewhat better.
-To accomodate the entire World A3R keeps the map the same, but requires you to change units when switching between European and Pacific theatres. (The movement #s on the counters are different for land and air units from one map to the other.) I found this far more cumbersome than keeping the same units and changing the movement cost like WiF does. (Of course, Matrix's version won't have this problem.)
-Almost all units are the same. Almost all german armour is 4-6 for instance. Almost all infantry is 3-3 or 1-3. There are not named naval units or air units. All air units are 5-4 or 1-4 and all naval units start at a strength of 9. This makes for some bland combat choices and some of the fun out of the game. (I happen to be Canadian and love getting the Canadian army all in one spot and actually use them together. Or that moment when the those terrible i-### Russian planes shoot down a FW-190!)

There's probably more, but I need to go put my kids to bed. In summary, WiF kicks A3Rs butt. It's way more fun to play, although WiF takes way more time and $$$.

Alex
Empire101

RE: A3R vs WiF

Post by Empire101 »

It may cost more in time and money....but it sure is worth it!!

I just can't wait for MWiF...just imagine....a whole world full of opponents!!!!

Its going to be so cool!![:D]

Edit: Yeah 3R and A3R are just not in the same league as WiF
[font="Tahoma"]Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
[/font] - Michael Burleigh

Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Just the type of info I was wanting.

Thanks
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
Anendrue

Post by Anendrue »

ORIGINAL: Empire101

I just can't wait for MWiF...just imagine....a whole world full of opponents!!!!

Especially since WotC (AH owners) will never update A3R or produce anything much past the Axis & Allies line of games.
Integrity is what you do when nobody is watching.
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

ORIGINAL: abj9562
ORIGINAL: Empire101

Especially since WotC (AH owners) will never update A3R or produce anything much past the Axis & Allies line of games.

Are you familiar with Bruce Harpers World at War? Matrix did have rights to do an online version but the deal fell apart somehow.

mo reb
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
yesman68

Post by yesman68 »

Now that I've played both A3R and WiF I agree that WiF is far superior. In addition to what was mentioned above I enjoy the naval system in WiF so much more than A3R. Those generic 9 factor fleets seem so boring and abstract when compared to the navel units in WiF.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: yesman68

......Those generic 9 factor fleets seem so boring and abstract when compared to the navel units in WiF.
warspite1

+1 [>:][>:]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Anendrue

Post by Anendrue »

ORIGINAL: yesman68

Now that I've played both A3R and WiF I agree that WiF is far superior. In addition to what was mentioned above I enjoy the naval system in WiF so much more than A3R. Those generic 9 factor fleets seem so boring and abstract when compared to the navel units in WiF.
Yeah and a 5 factor air is just as bland. However A3R is a much quicker game due to far fewer counters. So it still has a place on my shelf.
Integrity is what you do when nobody is watching.

Return to “World in Flames”